Deye 8Kw or 2 x Lux Sna5000, help me decide please for my environment.

Hey guys, 

I currently have 1 growatt spf5000es, 2x pylontech us3000c, 9x455w ja solar,  and wanting to upgrade.

But i cant make my mind up on a Deye 8Kw or 2 x Lux Sna 5000. 

I am looking at putting my geyser on to the invertor as it is straight on utility at the moment.

I have excess pv i am not utilising as well, so i figured the most urgent is to upgrade the invertor.

I know Deye can backfeed and use excess pv to warm geyser but how well does this work, and would it be better than

just popping it on essential and controlling with automations (home assistant)?

What would you guys recommend if you had to make the choice.

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, roadkill said:

Hey guys, 

I currently have 1 growatt spf5000es, 2x pylontech us3000c, 9x455w ja solar,  and wanting to upgrade.

But i cant make my mind up on a Deye 8Kw or 2 x Lux Sna 5000. 

I am looking at putting my geyser on to the invertor as it is straight on utility at the moment.

I have excess pv i am not utilising as well, so i figured the most urgent is to upgrade the invertor.

I know Deye can backfeed and use excess pv to warm geyser but how well does this work, and would it be better than

just popping it on essential and controlling with automations (home assistant)?

What would you guys recommend if you had to make the choice.

Thanks.

Why not get a second growatt, connect them in parallel, you will have 10 KW, you would have to split you PV in to two strings. This how I run my system and I have my all house on essentials, no split DB. works like a dream, close to two years now without any issues.

image.thumb.png.fa4b14c11195a4f6e0d82e5c2ae28dc4.png

I first looked at getting a second Growatt and doing exatly that, dropping the geyser from a 3kw to a 2kw element, but had concerns over the issues with paralleling them, as my current growatt is about 2.5 years old and i heard the newer version have different comms boards and dont parallel with the growatt. Was also told they dont do well with having a geyser connected to them.

It would be the cheapest option for me to do that, but support is really lacking on Growatt

I even have my current growatt hooked up to Home Assistant with an esp32 for real time readings and control it with automations.

3 minutes ago, roadkill said:

I first looked at getting a second Growatt and doing exatly that, dropping the geyser from a 3kw to a 2kw element, but had concerns over the issues with paralleling them, as my current growatt is about 2.5 years old and i heard the newer version have different comms boards and dont parallel with the growatt. Was also told they dont do well with having a geyser connected to them.

It would be the cheapest option for me to do that, but support is really lacking on Growatt

I even have my current growatt hooked up to Home Assistant with an esp32 for real time readings and control it with automations.

@roadkill As I said in my post above, I have the all house connected to my inverters, I have no problem in heating up my 3 KW geyser, see attached dashboard, I'm doing the geyser right now, no problem, obviously there is enough solar now, I have to admit on cloudy days I run it on SUB to merge a bit of grid with PV to get the < 3 Kw.

image.thumb.png.42de8f923f97d80de75bbddf6668010b.png

7 minutes ago, roadkill said:

thanks for the info, who did you get to install this for you? Have been struggling to find someone to verify if a new spf5000es will parallel properly with my current older model

Presently I'm running on version 040 40 301 and 041 40 301. I know there are newer versions, mine are working to my satisfaction so I see no need to update. 

4 minutes ago, roadkill said:

im running on version 040 02 909, had this growatt for quite some time already, no issues with it

@roadkill Contact Elley Power, link bellow. 

they have installed the firmware in my inverters in December 2021, tested and made sure they work in parallel. Excellent people, you may have to purchase the parallel board and cables, it's worth a try. 

https://www.elleyhillpower.co.za/collections/inverters/products/growatt-5kw-48v-spf5000es-solar-inverter

Just my 2c. From what I've seen on this forum at least, it seems like paralleling can be finicky at best. Lots of comms issues between machines, setup, troubleshooting and weird behaviors. 

Maybe it's just confirmation bias on my side, and the fact that folks tend to not report when their paralleling setup works smoothly.

But I feel that a single 8kW might be less hassle than 2x 5kW, even though you are missing out on 2kW. 

Service support for broken inverters play a big factor in your decision making I think, and you also have the matter of redundancy that you get with 2 machines. However, I'm not sure how elegant that redundancy is. If you lose one, but your house and household is used to 10kW peak, and now you have 5, you might have more issues than what you would have had just not having solar/backup for a while.

33 minutes ago, suds7162 said:

Just my 2c. From what I've seen on this forum at least, it seems like paralleling can be finicky at best. Lots of comms issues between machines, setup, troubleshooting and weird behaviors. 

Maybe it's just confirmation bias on my side, and the fact that folks tend to not report when their paralleling setup works smoothly.

But I feel that a single 8kW might be less hassle than 2x 5kW, even though you are missing out on 2kW. 

Service support for broken inverters play a big factor in your decision making I think, and you also have the matter of redundancy that you get with 2 machines. However, I'm not sure how elegant that redundancy is. If you lose one, but your house and household is used to 10kW peak, and now you have 5, you might have more issues than what you would have had just not having solar/backup for a while.

But.... If one 5kW gives problems you still have a working system. It's like having 1 fancy car vs 2 average😀

you make some valid points there. This paralleling issue is not just on Growatt. I have also read on this forum, that people buy a Sunsynk for example, and then a year later want to parallel a new one and the parallel doesnt play nice because of firmware changes. So even if you buy 2 and 1 blows and you try replace it, then you may have to change both. Sure you can use 1 in the meantime, but that is not ideal. Also regarding this, people are having major issues with support on Sunsynk, and Deye seems to be much better on the support. I am very much leaning towards the 8KW deye, i would probably be able to run with a 5KW, but considering the Deye for future proofing

15 minutes ago, roadkill said:

you make some valid points there. This paralleling issue is not just on Growatt. I have also read on this forum, that people buy a Sunsynk for example, and then a year later want to parallel a new one and the parallel doesnt play nice because of firmware changes. So even if you buy 2 and 1 blows and you try replace it, then you may have to change both. Sure you can use 1 in the meantime, but that is not ideal. Also regarding this, people are having major issues with support on Sunsynk, and Deye seems to be much better on the support. I am very much leaning towards the 8KW deye, i would probably be able to run with a 5KW, but considering the Deye for future proofing

I fit into that bucket of buying 1 5kw in 2021 then a 2nd in 2023 - the boards a physically different but i managed to get both mine to parallel with no issues. Also managed to upgrade the software so that they were the same. Im not negating the perception that SS is having support issues - just that sometimes the bad news gets the headlines

17 minutes ago, roadkill said:

Very valid points. But then again how many inverters blow that you cannot repair which means when you get it back it is still on the same firmware so they live together ever after. 

Just asking? 

In all honesty I can't really see or appreciate the difference between Sunsynk and Deye. I have SS because that's what my installer recommended, and because everyone kept going on about the app and data tracking. Only after the purchase did I learn of Solar Assistant, which seem to be a more rounded product compared to Sunsynk. If I had to do it all over, I would have gone for the cheaper option regardless of brand and go Solar Assistant. I did get the SS for much cheaper than an equivalent Deye (at that time), so still happy with my purchase all in all. 

I think we are all SOL with regards to after sales support, regardless of brand and model. We are heading into Stage 10 and higher loadshedding, things are going to get MUCh worse, and all of a sudden people are realizing they can sell their second cars to secure the funding for a solar system (that's what we did). So all suppliers, installers, importers and customer support are going to get busier, slower to respond, and give us customers an overall shittier experience. I cannot see how we are going to get a better after sales support, regardless of brand or whatever. Maybe Victron, but nobody's buying that because it's mad expensive.

A lot of folks are going to end up buying what they can find and install that.

I think in an inverter craps the bed, then you should consider that unit out of commission for at least a couple of months. So in that context, going parallel would always be better, because you have that backup you can fall back on. 

If I had the funds, I would just buy another unit and keep it in its box just in case. From what I can tell they are reasonably reliable anyway so I'm going to take my chances with only one unit.

19 minutes ago, suds7162 said:

As I said before, my system is running well with two inverters in parallel. The reason I opted for two inverters was the following: 

1.  In my house the max peak is occasionally +_ 4 KW. My daily consumption is about +_ 22 Kw per day, Everage 16 KW from solar and +_ 6 KW from grid. Battery only used for load shedding.
  2. So based on that my inverters will be running at max of 40% not stressing the electronics.
  3. I could survive with only one inverter for a while if one of the inverters goes faulty.

Maybe some lux owners can chime in.

I've heard some good noises for Lux from my installers, but I have no direct experience. Sorry.

Does Lux at least claim to have a local service center? I think a local presence is at least better than nothing. We know SS/Deye has that, even if their level and quality of support is a "nul op `n kontrak". One can hope it improves. But if there is niks, then I'll be much more hesitant. Even more so if it's grey-market imports. 

So i have i 9 x 455 panels on a north facing roof - single string, no space to add more to that roof. I have another roof that is North East facing which I could probably fit about 12 panels on which i want to do in future. Deye 8Kw has 2 Mppt and 4 Strings. 2 X Lux has 4 Mppt but each are only 3000w, so i would have to split up my 9 current panels into 2 strings. The installation also needs more stuff as with parallel i need more breakers, and other stuff to feed both batteries through. Where as a single 8kw deye i can just pop in place and replace.

So either i am paying it on installation changes, or on invertor price 🤔 that is a big consideration.

Having 2 lux is nice for redundancy, but there is better support on Deye, and Deye is apparently better quality.

I am referring to the SNA5000 vs Deye 8kw. For the price of 2 LXP5000 i would rather stick with deye.

about 39k for 8kw deye ex install, about 27.5k for 2 x Lux SNA5000 ex install