Is this a fair price on an entry level 3kv?

Hi All 

I'm running in circles with what options to go with a limited budget 25 -30k

Based on the below quote received, it is price and brands relative? Are there any other more cost-effective solutions or better value deals any members came across?

• 3kv Synapse Inverter, 2.6kv N-Energy Lithium Battery, Incl installation and coc included R25000
  • 3kv Synapse Inverter, 2.6kv N-Energy Lithium Battery, 3 X 330W solar panels, Incl installation and coc included- R32500

I would plan on using the system for 1x tv, 1 x inverter double fridge, 1 x deep chest freezer, Fibre modem, 16channel camera, alarm system and lights around a 3 bedroom house. 

Thanks in advance for your input and assistance. 

Edited by Blaino

Have you considered or checked that your quotes include the electrical C.O.C. and does the work allow for separation of non-essential circuits (geyser, pool pump, oven, aircons). Will the equipment you have selected run the full three hours of load shedding bearing in mind the 2,6kW (not kv) battery will effectively only give you 2,08 kWh of energy. More importantly, with stage 5/6 load shedding where one cycle could follow an hour after the last, can your batteries charge quicly enough.

Sad to say, your ask is big for the money you have. This is about what the better "trolley" type inverters cost.

I hate to blow your bubble, but those prices sound too good to be true.  If you are really lucky you will be able to buy an inverter and a cheap 2.6KWh Lithium battery for 25K.  Then it's likely that the inverter is only a PWM unit.  No installation, no panels, no circuit breakers, fuses, cables, etc. No CoC.

I brought an Axpert 2.5KW high power MPPT  clone and a Hubble AM4 in February for R 7200 and R 20000 respectively for a diy installation.  Since then the prices have increased SUBSTANCIALLY, and as indicated, you need quite a few extra bits & pieces.

17 minutes ago, Modina said:

I hate to blow your bubble, but those prices sound too good to be true.  If you are really lucky you will be able to buy an inverter and a cheap 2.6KWh Lithium battery for 25K.  Then it's likely that the inverter is only a PWM unit.  No installation, no panels, no circuit breakers, fuses, cables, etc. No CoC.

I brought an Axpert 2.5KW high power MPPT  clone and a Hubble AM4 in February for R 7200 and R 20000 respectively for a diy installation.  Since then the prices have increased SUBSTANCIALLY, and as indicated, you need quite a few extra bits & pieces.

The service provider installed the R32500 unit including the solar panels at 2 friends homes now so he has been vetted. 

The installation comes with COC aswell.

Screenshot_20230418_161740_WhatsApp.jpg

Edited by Blaino

51 minutes ago, Peter V said:

Have you considered or checked that your quotes include the electrical C.O.C. and does the work allow for separation of non-essential circuits (geyser, pool pump, oven, aircons). Will the equipment you have selected run the full three hours of load shedding bearing in mind the 2,6kW (not kv) battery will effectively only give you 2,08 kWh of energy. More importantly, with stage 5/6 load shedding where one cycle could follow an hour after the last, can your batteries charge quicly enough.

Sad to say, your ask is big for the money you have. This is about what the better "trolley" type inverters cost.

Thank you for your input, with loadshedding do you suggest I go with the solar panel option to assist the charge during the day during stage 5/6?

12 minutes ago, Blaino said:

The service provider installed the R32500 unit including the solar panels at 2 friends homes now so he has been vetted. 

The installation comes with COC aswell.

I can't figure out how he can do it for that price, but in that case, go for it.

2 hours ago, Peter V said:

Due to loads specified I think these loads will become the essentials. All other loads stay connected to the grid only. 

Yes I agree st 6 is perhaps a push with only 2.6kwh not kw of storage. Kw is a power measurement at a specific instant. 😀

Edited by Scorp007

1 hour ago, Modina said:

I can't figure out how he can do it for that price, but in that case, go for it.

Checked component retail pricing for in-stock: Inverter R6K; Battery R13500 (it is 24V100ah)

So totally doable at R25K when looking at the picture. I got the same quotes for similar "battery trolley" systems tied to the DB board.

330W panels can be picked up at R1800 each - The R7500 extra will cover the three panels plus brackets.

It is like the classic Steers ad - you can buy 10 burgers for the price of one, but then you would have to eat them :) 

@cbrunsdon  Who is the supplier that sells these inverters for 6K?
What model Synapse Inverter is it?  Is it the 3.0+?

Battery trolleys can be build much cheaper.  Very short battery cables, no trunking, often no proper circuit breakers.  Very seldom do they fit earth leakage units.  The units can be assembled in a central location.  No CoC required.  It is only the trolley itself that is an extra expense.

Edited by Modina

3 hours ago, Blaino said:

Hi All 

I'm running in circles with what options to go with a limited budget 25 -30k

Based on the below quote received, it is price and brands relative? Are there any other more cost-effective solutions or better value deals any members came across?

• 3kv Synapse Inverter, 2.6kv N-Energy Lithium Battery, Incl installation and coc included R25000
  • 3kv Synapse Inverter, 2.6kv N-Energy Lithium Battery, 3 X 330W solar panels, Incl installation and coc included- R32500

I would plan on using the system for 1x tv, 1 x inverter double fridge, 1 x deep chest freezer, Fibre modem, 16channel camera, alarm system and lights around a 3 bedroom house. 

Thanks in advance for your input and assistance. 

Bit hard without your plugging in a Watt Meter into all your appliances but what I've seen from using my EcoFlows:

* TV is around 100-150W
* Fridge will draw around 150W (it is not always on so take it as an average of over four hours as you will use it).
* Chest Freezer will draw 400W but probably only for an hour. If it is old, then it could draw a lot.
* Fibre can run off fumes at 10W
* 16 Channel Camera runs off fumes: 20-30W?
* Alarm system runs off fumes 10-20W
* Lights can easily be changed to low W bulbs - around 30W in total if you don't light up a Christmas tree.

So around 800W peak and then 400W base which would pull that full battery in a four-hour load shedding- I would seriously not plug in the chest freezer as it can keep its temperature for a lot longer than you expect. My freezer at my holiday home is not on backup and food has never spoiled even during hectic load shedding.

I get 3 hours on a 500W Eco Flow battery without a fridge/freezer connected.

5 minutes ago, Modina said:

@cbrunsdon  Who is the supplier that sells these inverters for 6K?
What model Synapse Inverter is it?  Is it the 3.0+?

A quick Google brings up many sources  - I won't share them here because I cannot vouch for how legitimate sites are. There were enough results to indicate a starting retail price of R6K.

I can't confirm the exact details as there seems to be too little information - buyer beware.

Reason why I'm going with one of the big boys to install my Deye this week.

You get a few different types of "ware"

1. Hardware
2. Software
3. Firmware
4. Vaporware

Vaporware come in many flavours.

I spend 2 weeks solid, trying to source reasonable priced hardware and that was in February.  Since then things have only gotten worse.  I am reasonably happy with my system but am keeping my eyes open for a well priced 3KW 24V or possibly 1KW 12V inverter for another site.  I would even consider buying a blown-up unit if the price is right.  So I am following the prices and offers.  An Axpert 3KW for 6K is Vaporware.  It is click-bate and most likely a fraud.  Just this morning I had such a laugh at the energy-solarcity.co.za website which we discussed in "Has anyone used energy-solarcity.co.za?"

Most online retailers seem to sell vaporware.

5 minutes ago, zsde said:

Here is a shop in Kempton Park that has some good prices too on a variety of the cheaper Inverters. And they have a "pay cash on pick up" option.

I had a quick look.  All I see is sale, sale, sale.  Who in his right mind:
1. Keeps stock of so many, many different makes of inverters.  A legit company will normally have resale agreements with only 3 or 4 suppliers.
2. Puts everything on sale during times where more and more people are panicking over ever worsening L/S.

The reality is that real world distributors will have websites and pricelists listing sold-out, sold-out, out-of-stock, out-of-stock and here and there is still an item in stock, at a price about 20% higher than at the beginning of the year.

I am just very suspicious of these super cheap, we-have-it-all sites.

4 minutes ago, Modina said:

I am just very suspicious of these super cheap, we-have-it-all sites.

So am I. But when someone has the option of  "pay cash on pick up"  then I give them the benefit of the doubt. 
I shall call them tomorrow about that claim.

8 minutes ago, zsde said:

So am I. But when someone has the option of  "pay cash on pick up"  then I give them the benefit of the doubt. 
I shall call them tomorrow about that claim.

As things are turning out I will not buy on line from any non reputable source. I will only buy where I can pick it up and pay on the spot. Solar has become one of the top scam sections in the economy. 

Please keep me posted after you made contact with them. 

13 hours ago, Scorp007 said:

Seems like another suspicious site. No answer at the placed phone number. I did send an email and shall await their answer. 

15 hours ago, Scorp007 said:

Just an update. I received a call from this company. They saw my number on their missed calls list.
The guy's name is Tiaan. So he confirmed the cash on pick up option. This option is not available for the shopping basket on the website. Reason stated that they try to limit bogus orders, thus it is only an option via their number and whatsapp. i.e. you send them a whatsapp message on the product you want.
They then send you a proforma invoice and once you confirm they will get the product ready for you for pick up and you pay on collection. 

20 minutes ago, zsde said:

Just an update. I received a call from this company. They saw my number on their missed calls list.
The guy's name is Tiaan. So he confirmed the cash on pick up option. This option is not available for the shopping basket on the website. Reason stated that they try to limit bogus orders, thus it is only an option via their number and whatsapp. i.e. you send them a whatsapp message on the product you want.
They then send you a proforma invoice and once you confirm they will get the product ready for you for pick up and you pay on collection. 

👍

I totally understand the problem with bogus online orders - a huge headache in e-commerce platforms and why companies move away (limit) cash on collection as a payment option. I spent most of the past decade as a developer on payment & finance back-office for local e-commerce companies like Takealot.