Jump to content

1500w inverter and 25.6V 100Ah lithium battery setup


Beefy

Recommended Posts

I got this inverter and battery (see pictures and specs attached) for the in-laws. I want to have it connected to their DB (essentials, lights, tv's, router, fridge) and use 2x450w panels with it.

What are the specs required for the mppt charger and panels (specific model recommendations would be appreciated)

What else would be required?

image.thumb.png.2ab9cf537d90e118aa24572bee744b6e.pngimage.thumb.png.17da6eebe5b9b47e9bd7fcf4c595a9bd.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Beefy said:

I got this inverter and battery (see pictures and specs attached) for the in-laws. I want to have it connected to their DB (essentials, lights, tv's, router, fridge) and use 2x450w panels with it.

What are the specs required for the mppt charger and panels (specific model recommendations would be appreciated)

What else would be required?

image.thumb.png.2ab9cf537d90e118aa24572bee744b6e.pngimage.thumb.png.17da6eebe5b9b47e9bd7fcf4c595a9bd.png

I would look at a 150V/30A MPPT that has a lithium profile or where you have a USR portion to set up all the parameters for charging lithium. 

150V would give ample margin if you use the panels in series. 

The inverter specs show a number of models. Which one do you have as it will effect the MPPT required. I guess the 1500W model? 

Edited by Scorp007
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Beefy said:

It's the 1500w version

Then the indicated MPPT with all the extras like SPD and panel isolator and battery isolator and MCB for AC to/from inverter. 

Sorry I missed the size in the subject. 

Edited by Scorp007
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Scorp007 makes it sound easy.  If funds are unlimited you can buy a Victron but you will be paying more than what you did for your inverter.

You need to select based on max voltage, max current and max power.

1. Voltage.  There are many MPPTs that are rated for 100V.  Two 450W panels OCV (open circuit voltage) could come to a whisker of that rating, cutting it very thin.  So either try to source panels with an OCV not more than about 45V or you will need to go to a 150V device as Scorp007 suggested.

2. Current.  Your panels will produce 900W peak.  To push 900W into a 25V battery would require 36A.  So selecting a 30A charging current will be a good fit.

3. The MPPT max power should be able to handle the input power of your solar panels.  I think other people would agree that you could use panels that are rated for slightly more power than the MPPT can handle, maybe 10%.  The MPPT power rating is what it will pull from the panels.  If the panels have a little bit excess power it shouldn't be a problem.

Based on the above and assuming you use panels with not too high voltage, the minimum speced MPPT would be a unit like this: https://www.communica.co.za/products/sr-mc2430n10-mppt-controller?variant=31078585401417
Please note that I cannot say if this make is any good or not.  Best would be to go to youtube and search for the product and listen to the reviews.

Here is a page that lists mainly Victron MPPTs.  As you can see, the prices of higher current/voltage units can get eye-watering expensive.  I don't see a 30A unit such as Scorp007 suggested, but the 150V/35A Victron is about 5.5K

https://www.sustainable.co.za/collections/mppt-charge-controllers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Modina said:

@Scorp007 makes it sound easy.  If funds are unlimited you can buy a Victron but you will be paying more than what you did for your inverter.

You need to select based on max voltage, max current and max power.

1. Voltage.  There are many MPPTs that are rated for 100V.  Two 450W panels OCV (open circuit voltage) could come to a whisker of that rating, cutting it very thin.  So either try to source panels with an OCV not more than about 45V or you will need to go to a 150V device as Scorp007 suggested.

2. Current.  Your panels will produce 900W peak.  To push 900W into a 25V battery would require 36A.  So selecting a 30A charging current will be a good fit.

3. The MPPT max power should be able to handle the input power of your solar panels.  I think other people would agree that you could use panels that are rated for slightly more power than the MPPT can handle, maybe 10%.  The MPPT power rating is what it will pull from the panels.  If the panels have a little bit excess power it shouldn't be a problem.

Based on the above and assuming you use panels with not too high voltage, the minimum speced MPPT would be a unit like this: https://www.communica.co.za/products/sr-mc2430n10-mppt-controller?variant=31078585401417
Please note that I cannot say if this make is any good or not.  Best would be to go to youtube and search for the product and listen to the reviews.

Here is a page that lists mainly Victron MPPTs.  As you can see, the prices of higher current/voltage units can get eye-watering expensive.  I don't see a 30A unit such as Scorp007 suggested, but the 150V/35A Victron is about 5.5K

https://www.sustainable.co.za/collections/mppt-charge-controllers

It is easy if you look at the specs. I like my Epever MPPTs with lithium settings done from the PC. You just need to buy the data cable as well. 

Yes Victron are great at a price. The 100/30 smart was my 1st MPPT I bought. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Scorp007 said:

It is easy if you look at the specs. I like my Epever MPPTs with lithium settings done from the PC. You just need to buy the data cable as well. 

Yes, I had a look, this one is affordable and has a maximum input voltage of 138V.  This would be perfect for those 2x 450W panels.
https://shop.thesunpays.co.za/products/epever-xtra-solar-charge-controller-30a-mppt

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got my official Epever cable from Miro

https://miro.co.za/06-power---surge-ups---solar-solar-accessories/5492-rs485-to-usb-communication-cable.html 

Out of stock now though. I didn't even get to use mine as the newer stock charge controllers have Lifepo4 preset built in. 

I think the one Scorp is talking about is this one

https://shop.thesunpays.co.za/products/pc-communication-cable-for-ls-bpl-series?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrsGT4IHY_gIVie_tCh1Dzwr-EAQYASABEgLcwPD_BwE

If you visit the Epever official site under products you'll see the cables and what inverter or charge controllers they're compatible with

Screenshot_20230503-035928.thumb.png.c5dab7df98bfc67d82408cda7c276cd3.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MiG said:

I got my official Epever cable from Miro

https://miro.co.za/06-power---surge-ups---solar-solar-accessories/5492-rs485-to-usb-communication-cable.html 

Out of stock now though. I didn't even get to use mine as the newer stock charge controllers have Lifepo4 preset built in. 

I think the one Scorp is talking about is this one

https://shop.thesunpays.co.za/products/pc-communication-cable-for-ls-bpl-series?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrsGT4IHY_gIVie_tCh1Dzwr-EAQYASABEgLcwPD_BwE

If you visit the Epever official site under products you'll see the cables and what inverter or charge controllers they're compatible with

Screenshot_20230503-035928.thumb.png.c5dab7df98bfc67d82408cda7c276cd3.png

Yes the correct info. My MPPT doed indeed take the cable from Thesunpays. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2023/04/28 at 7:54 PM, Beefy said:

I got this inverter and battery (see pictures and specs attached) for the in-laws. I want to have it connected to their DB (essentials, lights, tv's, router, fridge) and use 2x450w panels with it.

What are the specs required for the mppt charger and panels (specific model recommendations would be appreciated)

What else would be required?

image.thumb.png.2ab9cf537d90e118aa24572bee744b6e.pngimage.thumb.png.17da6eebe5b9b47e9bd7fcf4c595a9bd.png

Where did you buy the inverter?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...