Geyserwise max heating issue?

Dannler

Hi so begining of this year i had the geyserwise max conversion done on my geyser. It worked like charm. It would heat up during the day to 55deg or above depending on the sun. in the evening we would fill up the bath tub and the temp would drop to about 43-44deg.

This past thursday my element kicked the bucket and tripped my mains everytime it started up.

Now after the plumbers changed out the element i have temp issues. It would still heat up to roughly 55deg during the day. But the problem comes now when filling up the bath tub, the temp drops down to low 20's like 23deg, after filling up to the same amount as always. 

What would cause this. Its a 150l kwikot geyser with 3kw element, the new element looks like a 3kw spiral element was used. Not sure what the old element was.

I have a Kwikot duel 600 geyser and 23-26 degrees C is where my temp is after running a bath. Cannot explain why you have the sudden drop. My probe is mounted in the middle of the geyser in the element pocket. Kwikot do use a spiral element as most that have the flange with 5 or 6 bolts.

If it still heats the max temp to around the same as before in the same amount of time in similar solar conditions, then one can safely say that the base temp must be pretty similar.
Why your base (min) temp is now displaying a lower temp would be subjective guesswork.
i.e. the wire connectors for the digital temp sensor may have a better or worse connection after the plumbers reconnected them is one such guess.

It would have been great if you actually could have felt the actual water temp before (by hand) when it dropped to around 43C with what it now feels at the displayed 23C.
I can tell you from my own experience with my Geyserwise  is that the low temp display on mine is always way below what it really is after having used it. It would drop down to around 30C yet I can happily take a shower and still need to add cold water to have a water temp that doesn't burn my skin. After the shower it will sometimes drop as low as 23C as well.  But later at night when I check it it suddenly is up by 10 deg C again in the low 30s.. 

Edited by zsde

11 minutes ago, zsde said:

If it still heats the max temp to around the same as before in the same amount of time in similar solar conditions, then one can safely say that the base temp must be pretty similar.
Why your base (min) temp is now displaying a lower temp would be subjective guesswork.
i.e. the wire connectors for the digital temp sensor may have a better or worse connection after the plumbers reconnected them is one such guess.

It would have been great if you actually could have felt the actual water temp before (by hand) when it dropped to around 43C with what it now feels at the displayed 23C.
I can tell you from my own experience with my Geyserwise  is that the low temp display on mine is always way below what it really is after having used it. It would drop down to around 30C yet I can happily take a shower and still need to add cold water to have a water temp that doesn't burn my skin. After the shower it will sometimes drop as low as 23C as well.  But later at night when I check it it suddenly is up by 10 deg C again in the low 30s.. 

Part of these difference is the hot water coming out at the top is at a much higher temp than in die middle where the probe is. On a heat pump system where the water is circulated at quite a highish rate the temp measure relates to the whole geyser as all water is about the same temp. One can easily check the concept. Run a bath with only hot water. Add enough cold water at the inlet to the bath. Leave for 5min and measure the temp at the spout/mixer point and further away from it. The further you move away the higher temp you will measure.

On 2023/04/30 at 7:52 PM, Dannler said:

Hi so begining of this year i had the geyserwise max conversion done on my geyser. It worked like charm. It would heat up during the day to 55deg or above depending on the sun. in the evening we would fill up the bath tub and the temp would drop to about 43-44deg.

This past thursday my element kicked the bucket and tripped my mains everytime it started up.

Now after the plumbers changed out the element i have temp issues. It would still heat up to roughly 55deg during the day. But the problem comes now when filling up the bath tub, the temp drops down to low 20's like 23deg, after filling up to the same amount as always. 

What would cause this. Its a 150l kwikot geyser with 3kw element, the new element looks like a 3kw spiral element was used. Not sure what the old element was.

Possibly with the installation of the new heater element the geyserwise  thermostat (sensor) has been "bumped" lower down in the tank, so the inrush of cold water takes longer to heat and "mix" with existing hot water higher up in the tank?

I don't have a geyserwise install, but on my custom install, the temperature sensor is safely installed near the top of the tank.

11 hours ago, TimCam said:

Possibly with the installation of the new heater element the geyserwise  thermostat (sensor) has been "bumped" lower down in the tank, so the inrush of cold water takes longer to heat and "mix" with existing hot water higher up in the tank?

I don't have a geyserwise install, but on my custom install, the temperature sensor is safely installed near the top of the tank.

Normally the geyser design dictates the thermostat position. When only an element is changed the position won't change. 

This shows it in the middle of the geyser and it comes from a geyserwise manual. 

IMG_20230502_095648.jpg

Thanks @Scorp007.

Does the geyserwise setup have a thermostat and a temperature sensor?

Difficult to work out the components in the pic. It looks like thermostat middle bottom, element middle left, anode upper middle and earth strap middle right?

Either way hope @Dannler is happy with his hot water.:)👍

11 hours ago, TimCam said:

Thanks @Scorp007.

Does the geyserwise setup have a thermostat and a temperature sensor?

Difficult to work out the components in the pic. It looks like thermostat middle bottom, element middle left, anode upper middle and earth strap middle right?

Either way hope @Dannler is happy with his hot water.:)👍

From a description it seems they mention 1st put in the probe and then the thermostat. The thermostat is the big unit to the left of the element. In the element there is a pocket but I don't see that it is used. It should be very hot inside the element. 

Another interesting thing about the PTC element I tested is that the resistance decreases when the temp rises. Contrarary to the comments and also given as the reason why these elements don't burn out. 

I am also surprised to see the wide range of the resistance of both AC and DC elements.