Connecting a 3.5KVA Sun Magic inverter to a plug point as input from mains

SudhirM

Hi all. I've just bought a SunMagic 3.5KVA 24v inverter as a replacement for my old Mecer 2.4kva 24v inverter. The Mecer isn't currently wired into the DB board, it sits on top of the battery box. I have it feeding a multiplug which has a TV, WiFi router and CCTV and my laptop running off it. The mains input feed for the inverter is just plugged into a wall plug.

I want to use the Sun Magic inverter in the same way. Don't want to invest any money into wiring into the DB board, as I'm planning on moving out of this home in the next 8-10 months. 

Is there any danger to wiring the mains input feed for the Sun Magic inverter to a wall plug ? Not planning on using any solar panels right now, just batteries (2 x 12v Revov 100ah lithium units)

The output from the inverter will be wired to a multiplug that I can plug my equipment into. The load will not exceed 500-700w of power draw. 

One thing to consider is the max amps charge limit. Even a constant 15Amp draw from your plug point over hours is pushing it. Yes, in theory it should be good, but you can be sure the wiring feeding your plug will get hot, real hot.
So you will need to ensure to limit the charge amps from the grid.

I disagree with @zsde.   You would want to charge your 100Ah batteries at about 20 to 30A.  30A at 25V = 750W.  A 15A plug in theory is good for 3.45KW.  So if Eskom wakes up, and your batteries go on full 30A charge, you could still draw about 2.7KW of power on your multiplug "essentials".  In reality this will be a bit less, due to various inefficiencies within your inverter.

Even if you would double on your planned 700W maximum load, you would still be in safe territory.  Just make sure that your mains lead is made from a heavy gauge cable. 

16 minutes ago, Modina said:

I disagree with @zsde.   You would want to charge your 100Ah batteries at about 20 to 30A.  30A at 25V = 750W.  A 15A plug in theory is good for 3.45KW.  So if Eskom wakes up, and your batteries go on full 30A charge, you could still draw about 2.7KW of power on your multiplug "essentials".  In reality this will be a bit less, due to various inefficiencies within your inverter.

Even if you would double on your planned 700W maximum load, you would still be in safe territory.  Just make sure that your mains lead is made from a heavy gauge cable. 

Yep i agree with @Modina your socket outlet is rated for 15 amp =3.45kw your gp wire feeding the socket is 2.5mm²  rated for 20 amps =4.6kw protected by a 20 amp mcb so i don't see a problem running your inverter from a socket outlet. Use 2.5mm² captyre to the input of your Sun Magic inverter.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the advice. 

Will use proper rated cable for the mains input into the inverter. 

I read in the inverter documentation that the inverter can be horizontally mounted, but should not be mounted on the battery box. Will make a stand/shelf for it.