PV Solar cable - how much (meters) did you use? How to determine how much I require?

TestTube

I see rolls of Solar Cable 25m, 50m, 100m long and am just looking to avoid spending unnecessary money on buying too much cable. So, I'd like to know how much people actually use and what is left over - does it just become a waste? 
How does one estimate how much one will actually use? I guess it's not too difficult to estimate how much runs from the entry into the roof space  to the inverter - but what about between the panels?

Thanks in advance for any contribution.

26 minutes ago, TestTube said:

I see rolls of Solar Cable 25m, 50m, 100m long and am just looking to avoid spending unnecessary money on buying too much cable. So, I'd like to know how much people actually use and what is left over - does it just become a waste? 
How does one estimate how much one will actually use? I guess it's not too difficult to estimate how much runs from the entry into the roof space  to the inverter - but what about between the panels?

Thanks in advance for any contribution.

You can buy by the meter, just ensure 6mm at least.

Leave some slack 2 plus meters on each end positive and negative for future etc, came in handy for me when initially mounting 9/10 panels and then adding the 10th a week later. Also any spare can be used also, but obviously not too much, I have roughly 3m red and 10m black left due to the route to DB favouring the positive side of the panels.

Just walk out the distance and add the heights, then add 20%, but it is not that difficult.

I initially had a quotation for installation for 35m each so I bought this and did the work myself. And got left with way too much.

Between the panels is not needed as they link into eachother via their MC4 connectors.

If you go parallel it is a different story as you can either lead to a combiner box or chicken feet them together if the strings are the same and still within the inverter mppt spec.

Edited by Eurard