Freedom Won Battery Sudden SOC Drop

AFTP

Hi all,

I have a Freedom Won Lite Home 20/16 LiFePO4 battery that I installed less than a year ago. Pretty much from the outset, it gave an intermittent problem where the SOC would suddenly (within 5 or 10 minutes on the graph of my Sunsynk 12 kW 3-phase inverter) drop down to 10%. I have attached a screenshot from my inverter of the last time this occurred. In this case the SOC dropped from 68% SOC at 23:40 to 10% at 23:50, the whole time with a load of less than 1 kW on the inverter.

This has now happened about 5 times, but it seems to be getting worse. The previous time it dropped from about 43% SOC.

I have contacted Freedom Won and they have remotely connected to my inverter and battery. According to them the inverter settings look fine. I have also attached a screenshot of my battery settings on the inverter. They also installed the Orion software on my laptop and connected to my battery. The first time they did so they noticed that the BMS firmware was out of date, so they updated that. They also made some small changes to some of the voltage levels. But other than that, they said the battery looked fine too. They checked that all the cells were balanced and that also appeared fine. 

They then asked me to connect to the battery with the Orion software the next time the fault occurred and send them screenshots of the errors. I have attached these screenshots as well. 

At this point I don't know what else I can check. Has anyone experienced a similar problem with their Freedom Won battery? Does anyone have any advice for me on what I can possibly still check?

I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks very much.

Colin

Screenshot 2023-05-08 163611.png

Battery Settings.png

Screenshot 2023-04-26 095058.png

Screenshot 2023-04-26 095359.png

Just fwiw.

I experienced the same yesterday with my 15/12 battery.  It was on 35% when loadshedding started at 8:00, within 5 mins it dropped to 10% with a load under 500W on the battery.  This morning it was operating as normal when the loadshedding started.

Battery1.thumb.JPG.9520afbedd7ad9b12a0116b262516798.JPG

Battery2.thumb.JPG.03768edbfb707c89464b6a69eb1fc62c.JPG

Battery3.thumb.JPG.731567a8eeaed799010e93f3bbe08a44.JPG

Just thought I will add mine too here for the record.  @Steve87 is however in contact with FW to have a look.  But it seems to be a "common" problem now that I looked into it.

I had a problem with another brand of battery and sudden changes in reported SOC. I say "reported" because it became apparent that there was a difference in what the inverter could sense and what the indicator lights on the BMS were showing. The vendor never got to the bottom of this, and the eventual resolution for me was to switch to Freedom Won, which had an entirely positive effect for my system.

So what I'm suggesting here is that there may be some sort of mismatch between cells and BMS (what seemed to be the case with these other batteries). It would be worth checking to see if there's a difference between what the inverter reports and what the BMS decides is SOC. The two may be the same. Either way it is a clue towards eventual resolution.

This drop happened again today, luckily this time the grid was on and managed to take over before the battery drained.  It discharged from 35% to 27% in 20 seconds with a 2700W load.  With this size battery, the discharge should've been 0.5% over the 20 seconds.

I whatsapp'ed the technician who was able to immediately assist me.  It was again due to cell 6 that there was an issue.  He explained a few things around a mismatch and having to balance things...I can't recall all the technicalities.  But the idea now is to get the pack to 55.8v and then monitor again.  I noticed looking back on previous days when my battery was "full" at 99% the volts were only around 54v.  This pack has been on 99% today since 11h15 (53.2v) and still charging and only on 54.7v at the moment.  Charging at between 2kWh and 4kWh during this time.

I will post updates for the record for future reference

Has anyone had any joy from Freedom Won regarding this issue yet? This evening my battery dropped from 81% to 10%!!! And that with a load of 1.05 kW at the time. 🤬

image.thumb.png.a28ef85cfbef08a29de863e8d81f7a36.png

I am really gatvol now. 

You need to call freedomwon technical support, they will then ask to access the batteries remotely on a PC connected to the USB port on the battery. Thereafter they will change settings that may be incorrect, then test further and monitor the SoC drift / drops etc. Eventually they will tell you to log the return with the supplier, who will then arragnge shipping to freedomwon and they will test it on their bench. Likely to be a BMS issue, in which case they will replace the BMS and then your supplier will arrange shipping back to you. If you are in JHB then freedomwon technicians may come out to you on site. 

9 hours ago, abd7 said:

You need to call freedomwon technical support, they will then ask to access the batteries remotely on a PC connected to the USB port on the battery. Thereafter they will change settings that may be incorrect, then test further and monitor the SoC drift / drops etc. Eventually they will tell you to log the return with the supplier, who will then arragnge shipping to freedomwon and they will test it on their bench. Likely to be a BMS issue, in which case they will replace the BMS and then your supplier will arrange shipping back to you. If you are in JHB then freedomwon technicians may come out to you on site. 

Unfortunately, I am in Cape Town. We are now at the point of returning the battery. I think. They have logged on several times, tried all kinds of setting changes, but nothing has worked. In fact, the problem is just getting worse! I can't sit without a battery though while they go through the motions trying to determine what the problem is. I need this battery replaced. 

I had my installer out today because of a similar issue.

I have a Freedom Won 10/8 and I noticed that I also had a sudden drop one morning from about 30% to 15%, it was weird.

Then I realised the LED on the battery was double flashing red every 2 seconds or so. I called the installer and he immediately said it was because the calibration was out.

Today, he did a reset (basically just switching off and then holding in a button or something like that). Freedom Won also installed the latest firmware so hopefully that sorts it out.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a similar issue. I have been totally off grid since April 2022. I have a Freedom won Home Lite 20/16, bought in April 2022. Kodak 7.2kW inverter. Between battery en inverter I have the Freedom won CAN bus to RS485 converter box (this is needed because my inverter only communicates on RS485 and batery only communicates on CAB bus protocol). System has been running like a charm for 14 months except on two occasions (and  at the second occasion I found the issue!). Unfortunately almost all settings is handled between the inverter and BMS when setting the battery type to Lib on the invereter (as recommended by Freedom won).

First off, see if you can get historical data from your inverter. Specifically look at battery voltage and load power for a few hours BEFORE the SoC dropped. Once the SoC starts dropping dramatically you should notice that the battery voltage was at, or below 48V - even if your load power was not high at that time. According to the Freedom won documentation this equates to about 90% depth of discharge (DoD) or 10% SoC (state of charge). 

Analysing historical data from my inverter showed that there was some heavy usage of around 2.3kW for a few minutes about an hour before the SoC suddenly dropped. I also noticed that the SoC (read  battery performance) becomes very unstable once the voltage drops below 48V (my SoC dropped from 39% to 10% in seconds). I must also point out here that in both cases we had a few cloudy days so the battery voltage never reached 55.8V (as specified by Freedom won) even if the SoC reached well over 90%.

The setting on the BMS (OrionBMS is used by Freedom won) called Minimum Pack Voltage is by default set to 46V. At 46V the breaker on the Freedom won will trip to protect the cells against low voltage. In both my issues when the inverter complained abouth low voltage the battery voltage was just above 46V. Freedom won does not know about this setting and I had to point it out to the technician when he logged in to the battery via my laptop. I asked him to first set the Minimum Pack Voltage to 48V and the inverter followed suit. Then I asked him to set it to 49V but the setting on the inverter stayed on 48V (this is probably due to another setting we overlooked or something hardwired in the CAN to RS485 box). So for now I am happy that this setting was changed to 48V which means the inverter will switch off way before the battery trips. Then when the suns comes out all appliances should start and the battery will charge.

Then a few days later the Freedom won technician logged in again to update the battery firmware. First, ANY firmware upgrade causes the BMS to report a 50% SoC. From there it has to charge to 100% and 55.8V so it can calibrate (the technician also failed to tell me this piece of vital information and I went through a stressful night with the SoC showing way lower than the actual SoC). After the firmware update I immediately noticed that the BMS reported a far lower charge current than what the inverter reported. The SoC climbed extremely slow and charge only about 7% to 57% where it previously would have climbed much more in the same weather conditions (a bit overcast). At some point there was some thick clouds and even though the inverter was reporting the battery to be charging the BMS was showing a discharge. This whole story ended with them reverting back to the original firmware dated end of 2021 (at my request). The next day the SoC went from 65% to 100%, the BMS calibrated and eveything is back to normal. I decided not to let them touch the firmware again. Unfortunately I will now never know if the new firmware would have worked correctly had there been more sunshine.

If anyone has a connection at Freedom won please share the above information with them as it is clear they are only using the default BMS settings.

On 2023/05/25 at 9:29 PM, feoZA said:

I had my installer out today because of a similar issue.

I have a Freedom Won 10/8 and I noticed that I also had a sudden drop one morning from about 30% to 15%, it was weird.

Then I realised the LED on the battery was double flashing red every 2 seconds or so. I called the installer and he immediately said it was because the calibration was out.

Today, he did a reset (basically just switching off and then holding in a button or something like that). Freedom Won also installed the latest firmware so hopefully that sorts it out.

Holding in the button is necessary while the firmware is being loaded onto the BMS.
As for the double flashing red LED you can reset it yourself next time:

Pleass the Off button. The breaker will trip to halfway. Push it down all the way. Press

Just now, Proff72 said:

Holding in the button is necessary while the firmware is being loaded onto the BMS.
As for the double flashing red LED you can reset it yourself next time:

Pleass the Off button. The breaker will trip to halfway. Push it down all the way.

Press the On button for a few seconds until the LED lights up.

Push the breaker all the way up