Voltronic Axpert VM III Twin 4Kw

Taher Sylla

Hello, 

I have installed plenty of Voltronic Axpert VM III Twin 4Kw 

the inverter has a lot of software problems, is there any software/firmware update ? and what are the steps ? 

There is no technical support or E-mail to send a message to from the company

I have a few in my collection, but the numbering is confusing. I believe that all these firmwares will work on 4 kW and 6 kW models with no modification.

Examples: 56.11, 60.66, 60.90, 56.97. I suspect that the .9x are different to the others with the same major version number (before the dot). Or they might be "experimental". I don't remember where I collected these from.

What main firmware versions are you seeing?

On 2023/05/09 at 8:37 PM, Taher Sylla said:

and what are the steps ? 

Firmware upgrade instructions for models with removable display. I'm guessing that these models qualify as removable display.

4 hours ago, Coulomb said:

I have a few in my collection, but the numbering is confusing. I believe that all these firmwares will work on 4 kW and 6 kW models with no modification.

Examples: 56.11, 60.66, 60.90, 56.97. I suspect that the .9x are different to the others with the same major version number (before the dot). Or they might be "experimental". I don't remember where I collected these from.

What main firmware versions are you seeing?

Firmware upgrade instructions for models with removable display. I'm guessing that these models qualify as removable display.

I'm so sorry but I didn't understand how to update the firmware ( and didn't find the firmware ) 

The firmware I want is to fix the secondary output in the TWIN version, it has alot of problems, it turns on the fridge and other heavy machines even if my batteries are under 25v ( in program 61 I think the cutoff in the secondary output is 26v ) 

in the attached photo is my firmware rn

Screenshot_2023-05-10-22-37-49-563_wifiapp.volfw.watchpower.jpg

On 2023/05/11 at 5:40 AM, Taher Sylla said:

In the attached photo is my firmware versions:

It seems that you would benefit from 56.11 then. I don't know where I found 56.11's hex file; it didn't seem to come with a reflash tool. [ Edit: It seems it came from this post. ] So I've added a reflash I took from 56.97 and made a zip file with what I hope is all the files you need.

If you use it, please let me know how it goes. The hex file is dated 9/Feb/2023. I have not explored this firmware in detail, but it certainly seems legitimate. Use at your own risk.

dsp 56.11 VM III Twin.zip

Edited by Coulomb

7 hours ago, Coulomb said:

It seems that you would benefit from 56.11 then. I don't know where I found 56.11's hex file; it didn't seem to come with a reflash tool. [ Edit: It seems it came from this post. ] So I've added a reflash took from 56.97 and made a zip file with what I hope is all the files you need.

If you use it, please let me know how it goes. The hex file is dated 9/Feb/2023. I have not explored this firmware in detail, but it certainly seems legitimate. Use at your own risk.

dsp 56.11 VM III Twin.zip 1.07 MB · 0 downloads

I will try it and tell you the results, Thank you!!

• 2 weeks later...

This latest VM III Twin firmware, version 60.04 (dated 16/Mar/2023), seems most like 60.66 (dated 24/Feb/2023). The changes are quite minor, despite the large and backwards change in minor version number.

My analysis is woefully incomplete, sorry.

There were 4 significant* changes that resulted in the number of words in a function changing (this is how I detect changes). One change reduced the size of the function by 16 words, the other three increased the size by 1 word each. I still haven't figured out what variables are involved with the 16 word change; VM firmware is harder to work with than others, and I have less experience with them.

Two of the other changes involve setting the PV power or current to zero. In 60.66, this was only done if some variable was less than 350; in 60.04 this is done if the value is non-zero. That's a pretty big change in behaviour.

The last change involves the calculation of output power. In 60.66 if the calculation came to a negative number, zero was returned instead. In 60.04, if the calculation came to a negative number, the absolute value of the calculation is returned. This seems a bit weird to me. @Taher Sylla, hopefully this gives you some clues as to what to look out for (solar current and power, and output power).

In passing, I notice that the MPPT control code is a little different between VM III firmware and Axpert Max firmware.

* Edit: When I say significant changes, I mean changes that I can find (because the size of the function changed), and has some effect. For example, another function changed by 4 words in size, but these were due to technical differences in the instructions the compiler emitted, and would have had no real effect on the behaviour of the firmware. So that's an example of an insignificant change, in my terminology. As to whether any of the changes I detected will have significant differences in the actual inverter behaviour that users would notice, I don't know.

Edited by Coulomb

On 2023/05/20 at 6:14 PM, Coulomb said:

This latest VM III Twin firmware, version 60.04 (dated 16/Mar/2023), seems most like 60.66 (dated 24/Feb/2023). The changes are quite minor, despite the large and backwards change in minor version number.

My analysis is woefully incomplete, sorry.

There were 4 significant* changes that resulted in the number of words in a function changing (this is how I detect changes). One change reduced the size of the function by 16 words, the other three increased the size by 1 word each. I still haven't figured out what variables are involved with the 16 word change; VM firmware is harder to work with than others, and I have less experience with them.

Two of the other changes involve setting the PV power or current to zero. In 60.66, this was only done if some variable was less than 350; in 60.04 this is done if the value is non-zero. That's a pretty big change in behaviour.

The last change involves the calculation of output power. In 60.66 if the calculation came to a negative number, zero was returned instead. In 60.04, if the calculation came to a negative number, the absolute value of the calculation is returned. This seems a bit weird to me. @Taher Sylla, hopefully this gives you some clues as to what to look out for (solar current and power, and output power).

In passing, I notice that the MPPT control code is a little different between VM III firmware and Axpert Max firmware.

* Edit: When I say significant changes, I mean changes that I can find (because the size of the function changed), and has some effect. For example, another function changed by 4 words in size, but these were due to technical differences in the instructions the compiler emitted, and would have had no real effect on the behaviour of the firmware. So that's an example of an insignificant change, in my terminology. As to whether any of the changes I detected will have significant differences in the actual inverter behaviour that users would notice, I don't know.

Sorry for being late but I had a project to work on

I couldn't Try the updates yet, but one of my customers went to a company which they updated the firmware to 56.60 and fixed the problems they had ( messy secondary output and MPPT )

still there is problems with the inverter calculations, if you a load of 500 watts, the inverter would show that you are using about 200w from the pv and 300 fr the battery, while in reality it is not using the battery at all ( the voltage doesn't drop and it is in the float state always ) 

I hope in the latest firmware update all of these problems are solved 

and I'm so sorry for being late but I had an on-grid project here in Syria 

I will be trying the update and give the review ASAP 

what could be the problem I would if the update goes wrong or something?

3 hours ago, Taher Sylla said:

what could be the problem I would if the update goes wrong or something?

It is possible for uploads to fail. If so, you try again, and if it fails again, read carefully the instruction in If You Think Your Inverter is Bricked.

But if you make sure that the firmware you are updating is compatible with what you have, usually the major version numbers (before the dot) agree, then you should have little trouble.

Some communications boards or removable displays have marginal opto couplers, which work acceptably at 2400 bps for commands, but fail at 9600 bps for uploads. In that case, swapping the comms board or removable display with another can get the inverter updated. In some models (those with the round LED rings around the display), these comms board are internal.

In the very worst case, you have to replace the control board, but this is quite rare.

2 hours ago, Coulomb said:

It is possible for uploads to fail. If so, you try again, and if it fails again, read carefully the instruction in If You Think Your Inverter is Bricked.

But if you make sure that the firmware you are updating is compatible with what you have, usually the major version numbers (before the dot) agree, then you should have little trouble.

Some communications boards or removable displays have marginal opto couplers, which work acceptably at 2400 bps for commands, but fail at 9600 bps for uploads. In that case, swapping the comms board or removable display with another can get the inverter updated. In some models (those with the round LED rings around the display), these comms board are internal.

In the very worst case, you have to replace the control board, but this is quite rare.

Ok I will be trying these, Thank you so much!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

some weeks earlier i postet my problems with the lost serial-number of my  VMIII-4000, but after some weeks of normal operation, no "error 90" occurs.  🙂

But since last sunday, my inverter creates a "(warning) 70" message on his display and he switches off the 230V output and charges only my pylontechs. 

In the android-app or the windows "watchpower" - program no error or warning is displayed.

In my handbook to the inverter is warning or error 70 not discribed. 

In this thread here i found the description of this warning, but this tells me nothing. My 3 Pylontech's are charged between 50% and 80% and untlil sunday my inverter works fine.

If i switch from "pylontech" to User, the inverter works normal and switches the 230V output off.

I hoped, that an update to the Firmware Version 56.11, als descibed an linked in this thread (thank you @Coulomb), solved this problen, but it isn't so.

The Firmware 56.11 works fine, but the warning still appears. 

Has anybody an idea, what my problem is and how can i solve it?

Thank you, Peter

Warning_70.jpg

Firmware_56_11.jpg

5 hours ago, pintopf said:

after some weeks of normal operation, no "error 90" occurs. 

If it's going to happen, it will happen after 60 hours of operation. That's about 8½ weeks.

5 hours ago, pintopf said:

Has anybody an idea, what my problem is and how can I solve it?

I'm wondering if this is another side effect of the EEPROM losing its contents. But it doesn't really fit the symptoms.

For the time being, perhaps run with battery type user.

26.8 V (from your app screenshot) seems about right for 8S LFP when charging, so it doesn't seem like it's battery voltage calibration.

I'm surprised that warning code 70 causes the machine to drop off the load. "Must charge", fine (though it seems it's not needed), but why disallow powering of the loads?

I suppose it could be co-incidence, i.e. a cell in your battery happens to be weak and needs charging, and this has nothing to do with the inverter or its EEPROM.

Sorry, I know that there isn't much useful advice here. Perhaps others that own Pylontechs can add more.

On 2023/05/11 at 6:19 AM, Coulomb said:

It seems that you would benefit from 56.11 then. I don't know where I found 56.11's hex file; it didn't seem to come with a reflash tool. [ Edit: It seems it came from this post. ] So I've added a reflash I took from 56.97 and made a zip file with what I hope is all the files you need.

dsp 56.11 VM III Twin.zip 1.07 MB · 9 downloads

UPDATE 

Yesterday I updated one of the inverters 

I had two updates, 60.04 and 56.11 

I asked the local distributor for the update to make sure it is the same or something, he gave me the same one as 60.04, I opened the HEX files and they seem to be the same one you sent me, but as a surprise, the inverter shows 56.11 when updated and not 60.04, i don't know why since I installed the 60.04 one

I still don't know if this fixed the problems I had with AC2, I will keep you updated

Hello,

I am a new owner of this inverter but I am facing a problem : the right fan is working non stop.

I am pretty sure that the problem is the firmware but i am a real newbee on this.

I am offgrid so i was thinking to put a pc on a generator and to try to the updated (can it work) ?

Where can i find the good sofware and the good fireware (You are speaking about some 60.04 in here but they all offline and i found only on internet (https://www.ostrovni-elektrarny.cz/support/Axpert/FW/) a 41.17).

Please any help will be great, this fan is making a non stop noize and drive me crazy 

5 hours ago, Coulomb said:

I think in the early days there might have been some issues, but these days I don't think it's a problem.

6 minutes ago, Alnona said:

Hello,

I am a new owner of this inverter but I am facing a problem : the right fan is working non stop.

I am pretty sure that the problem is the firmware but i am a real newbee on this.

I am offgrid so i was thinking to put a pc on a generator and to try to the updated (can it work) ?

Where can i find the good sofware and the good fireware (You are speaking about some 60.04 in here but they all offline and i found only on internet (https://www.ostrovni-elektrarny.cz/support/Axpert/FW/) a 41.17).

Please any help will be great, this fan is making a non stop noize and drive me crazy 

The fans in the Twin doesn't stop at all, that's on the down side of these inverters,I couldn't find any solution even after the 60.04 update 

8 minutes ago, Alnona said:

Hello,

When on update, it should be on battery mode, no solar, no AC, No loads on the inverter, you can use a laptop or put your pc only on the generator, this would work fine I think if your generator doesn't shut unexpectedly 

1 hour ago, Taher Sylla said:

The fans in the Twin doesn't stop at all, that's on the down side of these inverters,I couldn't find any solution even after the 60.04 update 

Thank you very much for your answer.

I believed that the fan should stop when no activities but it look like it is not ... It's spend some power for the fan and the wifi for nothing, which is a pitty.

Another newbees question : when i try to connect the inverter on the android software, it asked me to connect to the wifi of the inverter (with password 12345678) but then despite of being connected (without network) i can't go to the next step (the sofware tell me to connect to the inverter, what i am doing). I add the inverter by the number on the wifi it create as when i took picture of the qr code on the label it don't accept it (the inverter is working fine for the price i bought it but it look like a beta product to me on this way)

1 minute ago, Alnona said:

Thank you very much for your answer.

I believed that the fan should stop when no activities but it look like it is not ... It's spend some power for the fan and the wifi for nothing, which is a pitty.

Another newbees question : when i try to connect the inverter on the android software, it asked me to connect to the wifi of the inverter (with password 12345678) but then despite of being connected (without network) i can't go to the next step (the sofware tell me to connect to the inverter, what i am doing). I add the inverter by the number on the wifi it create as when i took picture of the qr code on the label it don't accept it (the inverter is working fine for the price i bought it but it look like a beta product to me on this way)

For the Wi-Fi thing, you gotta turn on the location in the mobile, and wait till the Wi-Fi name in watchpower app changes to the PN ( can be found under detachable screen ) and then under the name it should say Connected to Wi-Fi module 

then you should be able to go to the next step with no problems 

On 2023/06/14 at 10:04 AM, Taher Sylla said:

Another update, I mixed up my files I installed 56.11 by mistake instead of 60.04 xD my bad

I had a question @Coulomb

Would updating the DSP without updating the MCU affect anything in the performance ? 

Hi! Here is the newest firmware (v60.05) for Axpert VM III-4000 TWIN. Good luck!

VM III_TWIN_60.05.ZIP