Kodak Inverter + Pylontech UP5000. Needing some guidance.

Acheron

So I have the following installed:

• Kodak OG-PLUS 6.2. This is the off-grid model with the two AC outputs. https://thepowerstore.co.za/products/kodak-solar-off-grid-inverter-6-2kw-48v
  • 2x Pylontech UP5000's (Inverter is set to the PYL program so it managed by the Pylontech BMS)
  • A Raspberry Pi running Solar Assistant and connected to the inverter AND batteries
  • The only thing on the non-essential side is the geyser, but I have this bypassed and operating fully on Eskom supply until my panels (8x JA Solar 550w) arrive

I have a few questions based on what I've seen so far with this system. Hoping some of you more experienced folks could help:

1) Inverter noise

• I had a Mecer 3kva system paired with some AGM batteries that was dead quiet while working from the grid and only made a noise from fans when charging batteries/while working from battery supply
  • This new inverter's fans are always on. No matter the load, no matter whether I'm on grid power or battery.
  • The fans do ramp up and down based on load/charging. The unit also emits a slight electrical buzz noise.
  • Thankfully the unit is in the garage so it doesn't really disturb me too much, but it seems odd that it would be constantly loud.

2) Odd charging/floating cycle

• Over the course of every 60 to 90min the battery voltage drops from 53.2v down to 50.3v while on grid power. Inverter then throws some current at the battery to get it back up to 53.2v.
  • Possibly related to point 4?
  • image.thumb.png.0cf79644e6b23ab5381a24cadc3a5ad0.png

3) Possible mismatched voltage/SOC

• Reported SOC @ 100%, but voltage @ 50.5v?
  • Checked this on the Watchpower app too just to make sure SolarAssistant was not misreporting and it was indeed the same
  • image.png.ca8e37354fbe98c7abd9d8b3c942b06c.png

4) Constant drain of batteries while on Eskom supply

• Before I connected the Pi to the batteries SolarAssistant would report, while on grid power, that 0w was being used from the batteries
  • When I connected the Pi to the batteries I now see a 20w-40w constant draw reported in the graphs AND the battery info page while on grid power (the latter is only available in SolarAssistant if you are connected directly to the batteries) 
  • image.png.9bcbe92841ce1e7df3ebd753ebdad04b.png
  • image.png.56164fb95d9fa15c8092890b5577bd60.png

5) SOC control of non-essential load sort of works

• I have the inverter set to turn off the non-essential load at the highest SOC possible (95%): Menu 60 = 95, Menu 61 = disable, Menu 62: 00-23 (default)
  • When grid power is lost the non-essential load turns OFF regardless of SOC. When grid power returns non-essential load turns ON regardless of SOC
  • image.png.47435b6763dd1b470a2a386437ac9c3e.png

Edited by Acheron

i stumbled apon your post as im also looking at one of these units. the Dual output just makes more sense to me. 

then you can use ALL the PV even when utility is out. and it has smart load management when night time load shedding occurs, and dont want to kill the batteries. 

so ill answer what i can/think. and perhaps someone else are willing to point out my stupidity. 

1) Inverter noise  - im in the same boat also owning a Mecer unit currently, the new inverter fan i do believe this is due to the SUB function, as its not using DC to DC converter anymore. 

the buzzing noise i cant comment on, as i dont know. as i have not bought my new unit as yet. 

2) Odd charging/floating cycle - this could be due to settings. is utility set as primary charge at this point? and since you are getting weird info from the battery BMS and inverter. what is the battery type set as currently? 

4) Constant drain of batteries while on Eskom supply  - again, you need to provide current settings. 

5) SOC control of non-essential load sort of works  - since your battery voltage is running low, it might be that it dips below 95% once the grid fails. see if you drop that % lower, if the correct process happens. 

im going out on a limb here, and im sure i will have the very same issue once i get going with the new inverter. 

i need to save up for the send battery still, or a replacement 48v. 

3 hours ago, Flouw said:

i stumbled apon your post as im also looking at one of these units. the Dual output just makes more sense to me. 

then you can use ALL the PV even when utility is out. and it has smart load management when night time load shedding occurs, and dont want to kill the batteries. 

so ill answer what i can/think. and perhaps someone else are willing to point out my stupidity. 

1) Inverter noise  - im in the same boat also owning a Mecer unit currently, the new inverter fan i do believe this is due to the SUB function, as its not using DC to DC converter anymore. 

the buzzing noise i cant comment on, as i dont know. as i have not bought my new unit as yet. 

2) Odd charging/floating cycle - this could be due to settings. is utility set as primary charge at this point? and since you are getting weird info from the battery BMS and inverter. what is the battery type set as currently? 

4) Constant drain of batteries while on Eskom supply  - again, you need to provide current settings. 

5) SOC control of non-essential load sort of works  - since your battery voltage is running low, it might be that it dips below 95% once the grid fails. see if you drop that % lower, if the correct process happens. 

im going out on a limb here, and im sure i will have the very same issue once i get going with the new inverter. 

i need to save up for the send battery still, or a replacement 48v. 

Inverter is connected to the batteries via the provided comms cable and is set to the Pylontech specific "PYL" program. Utility is set as primary charger.

As for the SOC question, when I kick over from grid to battery the reported SOC does not instantly drop below 95%, yet the switching off of the second output still occurs instantly. I have tried setting this lower, however the same behavior persists.

I was hoping @SEGEN SOLAR would have had some success stories from people using this inverter (perhaps there is a firmware update) and perhaps shed some light on the other questions.

Edited by Acheron