Kodak 5Kva Inverter with 2 Shoto 5.12Kw batteries

cfj

Hi All

I have a Kodak 5kv inverter and 2 Shoto 5.12Kw batteries. They have been installed without any communication cables between the inverter and batteries or between the batteries themselves. They have simply been installed in parallel with the inverter. The inverter battery type is set to User Defined and the settings set to the Shoto manual recommended settings.  The installer indicated that there was no communication protocols available for the Kodak/Shoto combination.  The installation seems to be working well and is already over a year old.

Is there any disadvantage to using this setup without communication between the inverter and the battery BMS?

Thanks

Colin

16 hours ago, cfj said:

Is there any disadvantage to using this setup without communication between the inverter and the battery BMS?

There is a small one. If the BMS was able to communicate with the inverter, and one or more cells became over or under voltage, yet the overall battery voltage was nominal, then the inverter could reduce or increase charging to prevent that one or few cell(s) from going over or under voltage, this prolonging life.

Also, later firmwares allow you to set the back to utility and back to battery settings in SoC % rather than battery voltage, which is a lot more precise.

17 hours ago, cfj said:

Although @Coulombis correct for most cases, there seems to be an issue with the shoto when using CAN comms which stems from the seplos bms. The battery broadcasts a charge voltage of 57.8V which is the pack overvoltage value and that causes the battery to go in to protection before it reaches 100%.

I have the same inverter with 1 shoto battery and RS485 communication to a PC, running for 9 months now and can see that the battery charges and balances perfectly at 56V in use mode. What charge voltages are you using?

If you can live without SOC functionality then I would leave it as is, the bms manages everything quite well on its own.

Thanks to you both for the comments and advice. I currently use a charge voltage of 56.2v and a float charge voltage of 56.0v.

Other setting of interest may be

Battery cut off voltage 46.0v

Back to utility voltage 51.0v

Max charging current 40A

Output source priority SBU.

I am thinking of adding a 3rd Kw battery, should I stick to Shoto or can I add any 5Kw battery in parallel to the current batteries?

Thanks 

Colin

16 hours ago, cfj said:

should I stick to Shoto or can I add any 5Kw battery in parallel to the current batteries?

I would certainly keep the same brand. Even if they are the same basic chemistry (e.g. LFP), some cells may have additives (like Yttrium) that others don't, plus basic manufacturing variance. I think you'd be setting yourself up for balancing trouble if you mixed brands.

On 2023/05/17 at 10:30 AM, cfj said:

Thanks to you both for the comments and advice. I currently use a charge voltage of 56.2v and a float charge voltage of 56.0v.

Other setting of interest may be

Battery cut off voltage 46.0v

Back to utility voltage 51.0v

Max charging current 40A

Output source priority SBU.

I am thinking of adding a 3rd Kw battery, should I stick to Shoto or can I add any 5Kw battery in parallel to the current batteries?

Thanks 

Colin

Those charge voltages will work just fine, you could push up the max charging current to 80A if your cables can handle it as you have 2 batteries and that will still keep you below the recommended 50A per battery (they can do 100A each max).

I would also say stick to shoto or at least another 16S (51.2V) battery that uses the seplos bms and will use the same charge voltages.

• 6 months later...

Hi guys, entering from the sideline. I have an old Kodak 5 kva OG Plus with lead acid batteries, bit want to install a Shoto 5.12 lithium, as i have used this battery with Sunsynk and Luxpower happely. What settings do i use on Kodak to communicate with Shoto bms, or do i stick to charge/ discharge settings mentioned above?

Thank you

On 2023/12/02 at 7:35 PM, Hen Viljoen said:

Hi guys, entering from the sideline. I have an old Kodak 5 kva OG Plus with lead acid batteries, bit want to install a Shoto 5.12 lithium, as i have used this battery with Sunsynk and Luxpower happely. What settings do i use on Kodak to communicate with Shoto bms, or do i stick to charge/ discharge settings mentioned above?

Thank you

Unfortunately the shoto won't communicate directly with your inverter as it only does CAN comms, but the inverter only does RS485. You will need to run in user mode unless you get something like solar assistant. The above settings will work fine.

On 2023/05/16 at 10:52 PM, cfj said:

The installer indicated that there was no communication protocols available for the Kodak/Shoto combination.

I can confirm that as of display firmware version 02.83 (for Axpert King or Kodak Plus), the  SHoto battery type is in the table of battery type names but is skipped over. So it looks like it's still "coming soon".

2 hours ago, jumper said:

Unfortunately the shoto won't communicate directly with your inverter as it only does CAN comms, but the inverter only does RS485.

No, the inverter does have CAN bus support, but only for some protocols (e.g. WEC and SOLtaro). It just doesn't have the SHoto protocol enabled as yet, and I don't even see unfinished code for it.

2 hours ago, Coulomb said:

No, the inverter does have CAN bus support, but only for some protocols (e.g. WEC and SOLtaro). It just doesn't have the SHoto protocol enabled as yet, and I don't even see unfinished code for it.

Sorry, what I meant was the shoto implements the pylontech protocol over CAN, but the inverter uses RS485 for the PYL setting. Hopefully the new shoto setting will be using the pylontech CAN protocol.