Understanding and using DOD?

SilverNodashi

Hi, 

Can someone please enlighten me on Depth of Discharge, and how to apply it on an inverter?

Many sites on the internet suggest that you run your batteries on 50% DOD, or even 30%, in order to let the batteries last longer. 

So, now the first question is:

1. How do I calculate 50% DOD, on a 48V battery bank? Let's work with 12V as a reference since that's the "industry standard battery". From what I know a full battery is 13.8V. Is "empty" then at 10.5V, or 11V? And is this under load, or with no load connected?

2. What is best, to start charging batteries at 50%, or 70%? 

I have an Axpect 5KVA inverter with 48V 250Ah battery bank, if that helps at all?

Hi SN

DOD is a percentage but one can only measure the batteries Voltage. In a rest state i.e. no draw it is easy to infer DOD from voltage. However when there is a load the voltage is lower. How much lower is dependant on the rate of discharge. I am no expert so that is as much as I know. Therefore the R2K investment in a decent battery monitor is essential unless you charge controller or inverter come with a built in battery monitor which records the flow out/in of/to the batteries. 

Chris