Mecer 5kw and Hubble AM2 5.5 Kw trouble

Ren3

I had the Mecer Sol-I-AX-5P (5kW) installed in 2019 with 4.2kW of solar panels and replaced the old batteries for a Hubble AM-2 5.5kW in 2021.

I have some idea of electronics/electricity but only very basic.

Hubble installation was done according to the recommended setting from Hubble for the Mecer.  I just went through the inverter settings again to make sure.

It seems that I have a problem with the Hubble battery in that it now only gives me about 3 hours with a load of 600W-700W to reach 47V.  It used to be much longer.

System crashes (actually battery gets an error code) when battery reaches 47V.  It means that I have to manually reset the battery and restart the inverter to get the system operational again.  There don't seem to be technicians that I can find that are willing to support the Mecer/Hubble combination.

The company that sold the Hubble battery to me will be back this week to take the battery out and send it back to Hubble for testing.  I hope that will sort out the capacity of the battery.

With the current load shedding phases getting longer I want to add a second battery to ensure that I can get through the night on the batteries.

Now not sure that adding another Hubble battery will be a good choice given the current problem of the system crashing when the battery gets to 47V.

Anybody with a similar problem or know solution/advice for my problem, will be appreciated

Your model could run patched firmware, either version 72.20e or 74.40e, depending on whether it's a 58.4 V model or a 64 V model (check the maximum value for settings 26 or 27). That may help with recharging the battery more fully from solar, as it fixes the premature float bug (amongst many other improvements). For the Hubble, you would want the LC1 (Cobalt) flavour.

Edited by Coulomb

12 hours ago, Ren3 said:

It seems that I have a problem with the Hubble battery in that it now only gives me about 3 hours with a load of 600W-700W to reach 47V.  It used to be much longer.

Pretty common problem with this battery/BMS , you have to charge them fully very regularly so the BMS can balance the cells and re-calibrate where 100% SOC is . If you dont do this the cells can drift over time and you will get less and less capacity as you are seeing. Once this has happend it can be hard to get the cells back in balance as the BMS only uses a small passive balancing current of around 100mA. I would recommend to cycle the battery often and make sure it gets to 100% every day for a week or so and see if the capacity improves.

Coulomb - thanks for feedback, a bit technical for me unfortunately but max value in 26 or 27 is 56.4V.  As far as the panels are concerned I have 15 panels each 280W.  That is as much as I can tell you

1 hour ago, Ren3 said:

PsyWulf - battery mode is USE, bulk and float are set to 53.6V Low is set for 44V

Sounds fine,might be the premature float or a technical issue with the battery like dead cells

My settings you might test as it's the *latest* recommended from Hubble:

To grid battery voltage
44.0 V
Shutdown battery voltage
42.0 V
Battery float charge voltage
53.8 V
Battery absorption charge voltage
53.8 V

PsyWulf - thanks for the feedback.  To me it seems more that there is a communication issue between the inverter and the battery software which cause the error code in the battery when the inverter tries to switch back to grid when the battery reaches 47V only to find there is no grid (due to loadshedding)

3 hours ago, Ren3 said:

To me it seems more that there is a communication issue between the inverter and the battery software which cause the error code in the battery

This shouldn't be the problem, if you are in USE mode the inverter and the battery won't be communicating at all. It is likely an issue with the battery not charging fully often enough as mentioned above. This can cause the battery soc to drop suddenly when there is a cell imbalance. More battery capacity won't help if the current battery isn't charging fully. What is your current max charging amps setting, maybe that needs to be increased to charge the battery faster.

3 hours ago, Ren3 said:

communication issue between the inverter and the battery software

do you have an active link for Li Protocol? 
When in USER mode where you set the parameters manually, you do not need a comms link. The battery BMS will manage the cell voltages according to whatever is in the current Battery Firmware.