Greenrich battery?

MattyP

Hi there,

Just got 2 x greenrich 5kw batteries to pair with an 8kw sunsynk inverter.

Not sure if I bought the correct batteries. Voltex has them listed at 46.9Ah, I see in other websites it says 96Ah. 

Also even though it mentions possibly being able to discharge at 2C I believe they recommend charge and discharge at 0.5C?

Just wondering if I should return them for another battery before opening and installing? I previously used a 100Ah 5kw Averge and was happy but replacing my whole system.

Advice appreciated!

48 minutes ago, MattyP said:

even though it mentions possibly being able to discharge at 2C I believe they recommend charge and discharge at 0.5C?

This!

Many people get fooled by the marketing hype, 1C,2C battery....and then the battery manufacturer has in small writing "0.5C recommended"!!!

18 minutes ago, FixAMess said:

This!

Many people get fooled by the marketing hype, 1C,2C battery....and then the battery manufacturer has in small writing "0.5C recommended"!!!

So are the hubble/ other batteries different?

46 minutes ago, FixAMess said:

This!

I wouldn't say fooled per se - the batteries CAN perform at that level vs those that can't. Perhaps the C rating has bene over-emphasized in the building of an ESS?

21 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Before I go ahead and install these, would it be better to return them for way Hubble batteries?

There is nothing inherently wrong with the Greenrich batteries - PF store even did a giveaway with them IIRC. If you DO feel uneasy (for whatever reason) then yeah go ahead and swop - just make sure to get the AM5 Hubble not Am2

1 hour ago, FixAMess said:

This!

TBF, I think any honest battery manufacturer will say that the slower the discharge the better. Are inverters really any different? You can pull (EG) 5kW through the inverter, but do you want to do that hour after hour? No, you size inverter and battery to deal with occasional peaks.

35 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Before I go ahead and install these, would it be better to return them for way Hubble batteries?

There's nothing wrong with them,  just keep to reccomended charge/discharge rates.  0.5C vs 1C provides for a longer lifespan (cycles) . Generally, it looks like the 1C batteries are rated for 3000-4000 cycles, while the 0.5C reccomended rates gives 6000+ cycles. Also after the cycles have been done the batteries will still have some life in them. A battery has a normal deterioration  rate, for pylontechs, mine are degrading at 1%  per annum. Ask your supplier for the discharge rate / cycles curve if they have one.

Edited by FixAMess

3 minutes ago, mzezman said:

There is nothing inherently wrong with the Greenrich

I agree i have installed quite a few of the U-P5000 units no complaints so far. It is a 1C battery has 160A max discharge and 350A peak discharge (100ms) for starting inductive loads. My 2c i will not personaly swop them for Hubble no offence to Hubble owners just my personal choice. 

4 hours ago, PowerUser said:

What fuse size do you fit to match those discharge rates?

For 5kw inverter 125A NH fuse for KETO-00 and for 8kw inverter 200A NH  KETO-1. I could not get 180 amp fuse for the 8kw inverter settled for 200A.Manufacturer spesification for fuse rating:     I = inverter Power/45v. 

Edited by TaliaB

10 hours ago, TaliaB said:

For 5kw inverter 125A NH fuse for KETO-00 and for 8kw inverter 200A NH  KETO-1. I could not get 180 amp fuse for the 8kw inverter settled for 200A.Manufacturer spesification for fuse rating:     I = inverter Power/45v. 

Are those fuses going to handle the 350A 10ms peak discharge?

23 minutes ago, PowerUser said:

Are those fuses going to handle the 350A 10ms peak discharge?

It depends on the exact fuse, but if you want a 160A to reliably blow within 10ms, you need about 3kA... in 100ms that comes down to about 1.2kA.

1 hour ago, P1000 said:

It depends on the exact fuse, but if you want a 160A to reliably blow within 10ms, you need about 3kA... in 100ms that comes down to about 1.2kA.

I want exactly the opposite - the fuse must not blow within 10ms, in case 350A peak current passes through it.