5KVA Mecer (Axpert) Appliances Surge Protection

Kalito

I've noticed that whenever there is a sudden utility failure or surge and the Axpert does its job of switching to batteries it causes my Sony AV Receiver to "hang". Its the only electrical I have noticed which seems to "see" the 20ms changeover. I had thought that the Axpert is essentially a glorified UPS and as such it would smoothen out the loss of power so the equipment does not see the change? Must I invest in more robust surge protection on the equipment socket? I understand its not ideal to put a UPS on powered subwoofers and amplifiers because of their draw.

Is this normal for the inverter to seemingly pass-on the "surge" or am I just ignorant or overly too expectant on what inverters are supposed to do? The AV system only behaves this way on utility loss and not when the inverter changes over to solar and back to utility in the evening. What am I missing?

38 minutes ago, Kalito said:

... the 20ms changeover ...

The 20ms changeover is the cause. Not a surge.

For most things with larger PSU, it is perfectly fine, like computers. 

But like you, anything I have that has these later smaller PSU, they switch off. 

10ms or faster switching may solve the issue, a online UPS I know for a fact will not cause any of this. Not worth the costs.

You could, if you want, put a very small UPS between Axpert and your sound system, a inline UPS, that takes care of the quick dip. Try it one before you buy.

11 hours ago, Kalito said:

The AV system only behaves this way on utility loss

Mine does the same - the only issue I have is that my Onkyo amp reboots, all else is OK.

11 hours ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

But like you, anything I have that has these later smaller PSU, they switch off. 

Mine is the opposite. The Onkyo amp has a huge copper transformer, all other equipment with switch mode supply dont even blink (PC's, TV's, decoder etc).

If your grid supply is stable enough try setting Program 3 to UPS. This will drop your switching to 10ms. With my generator supplying utility I am unable to have setting 3 on UPS as the tolerances are too narrow. Most cityfolk should be able to run in UPS mode.

2 hours ago, pilotfish said:

Mine does the same - the only issue I have is that my Onkyo amp reboots, all else is OK.

Same with my Yamaha. Doesn't really reboot per se, the speaker-pop-protection relay just opens and re-engages a second later. Also old-school construction. Iron transformer, none of that new-fangled SMPS stuff :-P