Thank you for the great forum, Safe Driving over the weekend. Sincerely Jason
Chris Hobson

Axperts in parallel

I think @Nonlinear is talking about referencing people. You start with a commercial at symbol (@) and then type the first couple of letters of the name and wait and a selection of peoples nicknames comes up. Just choose the right one. You can copy URLs directly to the thread or you can use the little chain link above to do some hypertext.

I actually do, I've really struggled with browsers in the last while. When they broke all the really good add-ons in Firefox I moved to Chrome but had some issues. Now I think Chromium is about the best solution because it is relatively no-frills and still allows the majority of add-ons that work in Chrome and (I think) it is slightly less offensive in terms of tracking and privacy.

36 minutes ago, Nonlinear said:

is to figure out how to disconnect the neutrals when in "off-grid" mode and to simultaneously bond the earth and neutral. 

You can use a contactor that has both NC and NO terminals and drive it using the Axpert dry contact so you can make and break based on the Axpert's state. 

58 minutes ago, Chris Hobson said:

is to figure out how to disconnect the neutrals when in "off-grid" mode and to simultaneously bond the earth and neutral. 

The grid/inverter live/neutral separation is covered with this switch ? yes/no?

https://www.acdc.co.za/products/4p-63a-din-changeover-switch?variant=30483376140

and the council wants this in place and the alias is a "Interlocked switch" ?

1 hour ago, flamegrilled said:

The grid/inverter live/neutral separation is covered with this switch ? yes/no?

Yes it can but one would want to automate it. Contactors are normally open devices. You can get contactors that have both NO and NC terminals and so with one signal you can make or break both the  the earth and neutral bonding. Relays could do the same thing except they might be bit light for switch heavy loads.

On 2018/08/21 at 3:51 PM, The Terrible Triplett said:

Lighting strikes the panels,

A lamppost fell on my roof year ago. Damn lightning strike. In addition , half of the devices burned under overvoltage. I bought protection device, but...to late. If you are interested, you should have a look how to protect your house. These guys mounted system for me  https://www.streamer-electric.com/products/lightning-protection . If you have lighting rods that does not mean you are protected,beleive me

1 hour ago, Chris Hobson said:

... blue hue over ...

My optometrist recently told me that blue light is not so good for the eyes over long periods.

13 hours ago, Chris Hobson said:

the busbar box.

I like that idea. I think I will do something similar but due to layout constraints might separate my positive and negative busbars. One question though: are the individual battery wires coming in with the square trunking? Are the leads for the BMV also taken in with the trunking or do you do midpoint measurements in some other way (if at all)?

1 hour ago, Nonlinear said:

Are the leads for the BMV also taken in with the trunking or do you do midpoint measurements in some other way (if at all)?

On mine I do it that way: BMV cables come in with the battery cables. With LFP batteries you don't need to do mid-point monitoring, and with Pylontech there is no exposed midpoint you can connect it to anyway. So there's just a thin red fused cable running to the shunt to power the display itself.

1 hour ago, Nonlinear said:

I like that idea. I think I will do something similar but due to layout constraints might separate my positive and negative busbars. One question though: are the individual battery wires coming in with the square trunking? Are the leads for the BMV also taken in with the trunking or do you do midpoint measurements in some other way (if at all)?

Battery cables come from the Pylontech below (black and orange cable), Cables out to inverters through square trunking.  BMV data cable also through square trunking and BMV power cable shortened considerably. I might have introduced a small error in the voltage readings of the BMV but the 3 or 4mA that the BMV uses is not going to cause a huge voltage drop over that cable anyway. The BMV is now one of 4 items reporting voltage and current (2 inverters Pylontechs and the BMV).

Well I can finally say that my axperts are now in parallel and operating as well as can be expected. I have one question though that @Chris Hobson is probably best placed to answer because I think our setups are quite similar. How do you wire the contactor to ensure that you bond earth to neutral on both units irrespective if one or both units are on line. I have a three pole contactor and I take the neutral output from each of the units into the line side and bridged earth on the load side but do you wire then n/o contact from live out through common of each inverter in parallel to the contractor coil? 

Edited by Nonlinear
Spelling