Is your system legal? Capetonians have till 28 Feb 2019 to register their systems

On 2019/01/15 at 6:25 PM, ebrsa said:

They  have both expressed surprise that the Axpert is deemed to be unsuitable for Eskom

i'm a late comer in this discussion but can't resist commenting on things like the above, @ebrsa, myself, as you, have seen a lot of weird and stupid things and i believe this is one of them; especially looking at the chaotic state of eskom i ask myself if they are in ANY position at all to start making demands... 😏

22 hours ago, gabriel said:

chaotic state of eskom i ask myself if they are in ANY position at all to start making demands... 

Driving twice today to Worcester and back in a truck, I had some time to listen to Cape Talk.

I'm so with you on this point. How DARE they give us shiite when they cannot even provide power?

17 minutes ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

I had some time to listen to Cape Talk.

i am sure that was a waste of time [listening to those guys] - the test being, would you still be interested in listening to that conversation >50 times... will you be able to in some way get additional information, knowledge or even wisdom from it 🤔 ... thought so.

i do have the remedy for trips like that... or even the 1+ hour daily trip to the office or wherever, good mp3s, google drive links available through pm :rolleyes:

26 minutes ago, gabriel said:

i am sure that was a waste of time [listening to those guys] 

Completely.

Must say there are nice titbits here and there ... but o my, every day ... NO! 😉 

Must ask the kids for their cell to radio cable ... 

6 minutes ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

Must say there are nice titbits here and there ... but o my, every day ... NO! 😉 

On the right topic, it can be really enlightening. Ever hear your lily white friends ask at a local braai "So where are the <fill in demographic> people protesting this <fill in atrocity committed against another demographic>?". Well, quite often you will hear them call into Cape Talk... 🙂

My advice: Magic 828 AM.

Edited by plonkster

To be the cat between the pigeons "ek like nogals daai se ding deesdae", This pas months I been driving between townships like Nyanga, Crossroads, Ikwezi park, Victoria Merge and Kyayelitsha, and guess what i have spotted, Solar panels on roofs and where is solar panels there will be inverters and batteries. I will like to CoCT go in to that place and ask them if they are complying to the city rules and if they will take this people setups away. 

4 hours ago, Gerlach said:

To be the cat between the pigeons "ek like nogals daai se ding deesdae", This pas months I been driving between townships like Nyanga, Crossroads, Ikwezi park, Victoria Merge and Kyayelitsha, and guess what i have spotted, Solar panels on roofs and where is solar panels there will be inverters and batteries. I will like to CoCT go in to that place and ask them if they are complying to the city rules and if they will take this people setups away. 

Not always. Many of those informal settlers hook the panels directly to a MPPT and a battery which then run 12v appliances. Few might have a small sine wave inverter. There were some "programs" in the past where many communities received panels, batteries and LED lights for free. And this would classify as off-grid 

20 minutes ago, SilverNodashi said:

Not always. Many of those informal settlers hook the panels directly to a MPPT and a battery which then run 12v appliances. Few might have a small sine wave inverter. There were some "programs" in the past where many communities received panels, batteries and LED lights for free. And this would classify as off-grid 

Jip, I know about that. Some of this pannels isn't the size that they gave away that time, they are 2000mm by 800mm panels and can see this is new stuff. 

On 2019/02/04 at 3:08 PM, Rautenk said:

Correct, and I recommend engaging with City of Cape Town to upgrade your breaker to 80A as opposed to 60A, this should not be that expensive. According to Mike (also on this forum) it can cost you about R300 to R400, but that is IF there is no need to upgrade any cables..

After two months I finally received my quote:  R7,231.95!  And it does not make any sense to me.

I need help please.  Can someone tell me why I have to replace my meter?  And what does "Shared network charge" mean?

CoCT quote.jpg

CoCT quote2.jpg

19 minutes ago, Niel said:

After two months I finally received my quote:  R7,231.95!  And it does not make any sense to me.

I need help please.  Can someone tell me why I have to replace my meter?  And what does "Shared network charge" mean?

CoCT quote.jpg

CoCT quote2.jpg

I suspect the "shared network charge" is a surcharge for you to feed back to the grid, i.e. somehow for them to upgrade their infrastructure to ensure the extra power coming into the grid won't cause damage to the transformers.

The 80A connection would probably incur additional monthly cost. Do you know if there's a monthly cost for the "Shared Network" as well?

@plonkster please give your opinion on the above? Seeing as they're limited to 3.5Kw feed in, which equals to roughly 16A, why would one need to upgrade to 80A? This, to me, sounds like they're anticipating that you would draw 63A, and feed back 17A (well, these units come in pre-manufctured sizes, but you get what I say) It is my understanding that a grid tie inverter will push it's power into the closest source, which should be the house, first. SO, under what circumstances would it push that 15A back into the grid first?

@plonkster

Edited by SilverNodashi

21 minutes ago, Niel said:

This does make sense. Depends on what is installed at your premises already. Spit balling and say it could be same as you replace the engine in a car with a bigger one and now the gearbox and diff must also be upgraded.

Mike may have had the meter, gearbox and diff in place, therefor his low upgrade cost to 80amp.

There as a special last year where CoCT was giving out free PAYG meters for one month. Normal charge was +-R2k or some such if you wanted to install one. That could be the R 2 227.50 charge.

7 minutes ago, SilverNodashi said:

... why would one need to upgrade to 80A?

To accommodate the regulations so that one can install a 5kva inverter. Me thinks CoCT is going to coin it this way, have solar people "pay" for the upgrading of the network, because they want 5kva inverters.

IF that is the case, very very clever CoCT, well played. 🙂 

6 minutes ago, SilverNodashi said:

I suspect the "shared network charge" is a surcharge for you to feed back to the grid, i.e. somehow for them to upgrade their infrastructure to ensure the extra power coming into the grid won't cause damage to the transformers.

The 80A connection would probably incur additional monthly cost. Do you know if there's a monthly cost for the "Shared Network" as well?

@plonkster please give your opinion on the above? Seeing as they're limited to 3.5Kw feed in, which equals to roughly 16A, why would one need to upgrade to 80A? This, to me, sounds like they're anticipating that you would draw 63A, and feed back 17A (well, these units come in pre-manufctured sizes, but you get what I say) It is my understanding that a grid tie inverter will push it's power into the closest source, which should be the house, first. SO, under what circumstances would it push that 15A back into the grid first?

@plonkster

I don't think there will be any change to the monthly fixed cost.  If there is, I don't know what it will be.

The thing is I don't plan to push back into the grid.  I simply need the supply upgraded so that the 4.6kW inverter meet requirements.  I don't see the need to upgrade the meter either.

Does anyone know what such an upgrade should involve?  Is it as simple as the upgrade of a breaker?

9 minutes ago, Niel said:

I don't think there will be any change to the monthly fixed cost.  If there is, I don't know what it will be.

The thing is I don't plan to push back into the grid.  I simply need the supply upgraded so that the 4.6kW inverter meet requirements.  I don't see the need to upgrade the meter either.

Does anyone know what such an upgrade should involve?  Is it as simple as the upgrade of a breaker?

And this is the problem I have with this whole scenario. Not everyone wants to, or can, feed back to the grid, yet they want to you pay. 

These costs, if once-one is probably not a train-smash but if there's additional monthly fees, it would quickly make sense to go offgrid. I know in some places a 80A meter's electricity is more expensive than a 63A. Some years ago, in another house, we downgraded to a 40A meter to save some electricity cost. This limits you to 4.4Kw, but that's fine if you manage your energy usage well. 

I believe the City is being unreasonable, at all turns. This is getting to a point where one starts thinking of how to "work" the system.

It should be (if the network can supply this) as easy as upgrading a breaker, only time when the costs should be attributed to you is if infrastructure needs upgrading. And that must be clear from the quote (what they are upgrading).

The frustration is that CoCT notes that should you exceed the NRS sizing you can apply for permission to do so. Should you apply you are just referred back to NRS requirements... so it seems no hope there.

I am almost starting to think that it is just better to limit your inverter for inspection and sign-off and as soon as no one is looking push it back up to maximum, who would ever know... But that is unethical and I cannot suggest on doing this... 

7 minutes ago, SilverNodashi said:

... , it would quickly make sense to go offgrid.

I seriously question this in cities.

The problem is not the breaker, the problem is the size of the inverter vs. going grid tied on a 3.5kw inverter which is seriously ample to make some huge savings.

Beating the "I will go off-grid" drum (and I AM on that team), is a very bold and very expensive statement to make if you live in a city / town and not on a farm witn huge connection costs. 

Just saying.

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, Rautenk said:

This is getting to a point where one starts thinking of how to "work" the system.

This is going to be the only way forward but I suspect CoCT is going to come around soon.

Mmusi Maimane  has said DA has plans, so we need to ensure he feels our pressure, and resultant wrath, if he does not make it happen.

5 minutes ago, Rautenk said:

This is getting to a point where one starts thinking of how to "work" the system.

In some ways I am glad to hear you say that. You're beginning to feel like I do.

6 minutes ago, Rautenk said:

I am almost starting to think that it is just better to limit your inverter for inspection and sign-off and as soon as no one is looking push it back up to maximum, who would ever know... But that is unethical and I cannot suggest on doing this... 

That is the thing. If you make it difficult for people, you invite them to start bending the rules aka do illegal things. I bet you a couple of people here are thinking of signing off a Solis, and reconnecting the Axpert's MPPTs the moment the paperwork is in order...

The open question is if this is ever going to be policed.

3 minutes ago, plonkster said:

The open question is if this is ever going to be policed.

Depends on how many people need to be policed vs resources available.

Or after the elections - the budget come again under strain and they need more funds (read need to give a few fines out).

If it was me in charge, Benevolent Dictator of The Republic of Cape Town, I would setup a clever data analyst to analise the addresses where there are panels visible, pick up the patterns so that I can send my limited resources to the most promising locations.

And the guys I send out to check on you are seriously gatvol because at each location they are sent, they get a lot of lip AND they know they can never afford to buy such equipment themselves. The Have Nots policing the Have's. 

Assume the guys in charge are as astute as the best of the best on say this forum. Work from there. 🙂 

Go and sign this petition and in the comment section voice your opinion on the SSEG regulations and official interpretation of it here in CoCT.

Go, I dare you: https://keepthelightson.co.za/

I did. 

🙂 

32 minutes ago, Rautenk said:

I am almost starting to think that it is just better to limit your inverter for inspection

how would that be done? I was told by the CoCT that the definition of the inverters capacity is the theoretical max output based on hardware or software. As far as I know I can not limit the max output on my Goodwe. I can only limit the export portion.

5 minutes ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

I seriously question this in cities.

The problem is not the breaker, the problem is the size of the inverter vs. going grid tied on a 3.5kw inverter is seriously ample to make some huge savings.

Beating the "I will go off-grid" drum (and I AM on that team), is a very bold and very expensive statement to make if you live in a city / town and not on a farm witn huge connection costs. 

Just saying.

We're going in circles with this argument. Let's forget about the technicalities for a moment here. It's like a lady said to me the other day, "why should I limit my lifestyle if I pay for it the way I like it?"

So, why should I limit to 3.5Kw if I can afford, and want to use 5KW? Why? Why do you persist? Why, Mr. Why? Why do you persist?

Because I choose to.

I live in the city. And right now the cost of eskom alone isn't the only factor to go offgrid. Going off grid for me is actually already affordable. Do the math. We float on average at 300-400W hour at night. It takes discipline but can be done. In winter the picture changes a bit but I have a generator as backup, if absolutely needed. See my graph below. This was end August last year. Unfortunately I don't have stats for the middle of winter, but I know we generally only start using the washing machine or dish washer after 9am in winter. Our usage patterns are pretty much the same throughout the year, with the exception of rainy / cloudy days - which is on average 12/year for Gauteng.

Night usage.jpg

5 minutes ago, Fuenkli said:

how would that be done? I was told by the CoCT that the definition of the inverters capacity is the theoretical max output based on hardware or software. As far as I know I can not limit the max output on my Goodwe. I can only limit the export portion.

Ideally with an anti-islanding device that can completely limit the feedback to the grid.

1 minute ago, SilverNodashi said:

Ideally with an anti-islanding device that can completely limit the feedback to the grid.

This does not limit the output of the inverter, only the feedback to the grid.  My understanding is that I have to upgrade to 80A grid supply if I want to use a 4.6kW inverter, irrespective of whether I feed back or not.  It doesn't make any sense to me, but I'm not electrically inclined.

1 minute ago, SilverNodashi said:

Ideally with an anti-islanding device that can completely limit the feedback to the grid

is this maybe the option we have here in CT? How much would such a device cost? It might be cheaper than to buy a new (smaller) inverter