Thank you for the great forum, Safe Driving over the weekend. Sincerely Jason

Crit my idea ... pull it to pieces, I can take it.

Just now, The Terrible Triplett said:

Soon, I will post a new picture ... with the same inverter (just 24v). :-) 

My system is still 24V. Just in case you didn't know. I have two 12.8V 300Ah LFP batteries in the system. Expanding to 48V means getting two more... and just the VAT on those things will pay for the Trojans you want :-)

Just now, plonkster said:

My system is still 24V. Just in case you didn't know. I have two 12.8V 300Ah LFP batteries in the system. Expanding to 48V means getting two more... and just the VAT on those things will pay for the Trojans you want :-)

Brothers in arms then, we are, with soon to be near identical setups.

I feel sad having to let the Phoenix go, wished I could have seen how long it could last. If it was 12v I would have mounted it in my car I swear.

Already have a buyer for it - just negotiating on the finer matter of price. Seeing as I am not going 48v, I may just drop the price even more as requested.

In your opinion, best cable for the Multigrid to connect to the VenusGX?

I have this one spare: https://www.victronenergy.com/cables/ve.direct.cable

5 minutes ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

In your opinion, best cable for the Multigrid to connect to the VenusGX? 

Straight CAT5 or CAT6 ethernet. It's vebus, not vedirect.

6 minutes ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

I feel sad having to let the Phoenix go, wished I could have seen how long it could last. If it was 12v I would have mounted it in my car I swear.

Same issue. If it was a 12V unit it could be made into a car-camping rig (though the day I got married it was pretty much implicitly agreed that my days of camping are over). First step is to replace the plugs at the bottom. Already bought them (they were not cheap, they are like R150 a pair, though I think you can buy them cheaper at RS if you know what you're looking for). How much do you think it would sell for?

1 minute ago, plonkster said:

How much do you think it would sell for?

The Phoenix?
It is 6+ years old and in mint condition, inside and out. 

Nibble at R4k with the Mk2 cable.
A confirmed offer of R2k. Went back and suggested R3k with the Mk2 cable thrown in. Buyer is thinking about it.

4 minutes ago, plonkster said:

Straight CAT5 or CAT6 ethernet. It's vebus, not vedirect.

Cool. Have plenty CAT5.

6 minutes ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

A confirmed offer of R2k. Went back and suggested R3k with the Mk2 cable thrown in. Buyer is thinking about it.

I was thinking of a no-lower-than-2k selling price. At below 2k I'll keep it for myself. In fact, at 2k I might keep it. It's a Multi with a 26 series processor, got to be worth a bit more :-)

2 minutes ago, plonkster said:

I was thinking of a no-lower-than-2k selling price. At below 2k I'll keep it for myself. In fact, at 2k I might keep it. It's a Multi with a 26 series processor, got to be worth a bit more :-)

That number sounds sooo familiar, does it not? :D

You must recall a proposed figure from my side, as an opening offer?

My view was that yours has worked hard and you have had to start effecting some repairs already. Which makes it a challenge. How long before more parts go?

To mitigate some of that risk, I suggested, seeing that you are quite busy, to take said Multiplus to OnTrack to service, and if all was ok with their tests, for them to effect repairs of said plugs, at an additional separate cost.

For your musings about keeping the Ziehl in place for future experiments, had a interesting ring to it.

Gave me some hope, before I commit, that if you where to throw in said Ziehl, a package deal in other words, sales price to help pay for some kitchen stuff and all that, that you could have twisted my arm so bad that I would have been "forced" to try that combination for a few years ... at least till the Trojans are done, seeing as you believe it will last for a few years at least. 

So, Mr Plonskter, are you having a inkling to reconsider a thought to start thinking about some awesome package deal that I would be stupid to refuse, stopping me dead in my tracks, to not order a brand new Multigrid at a price that is of envy to most who want Victron? 

If any of this has any vague ring to it, consider this. My NBEEF is ready to install this coming week. ;-)

1 hour ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

You must recall a proposed figure from my side, as an opening offer?

No, back when we discussed it I said that was the number below which I'd just keep it. I still feel that way :-)

There's no way I'd throw the Ziehl in. I can sell that thing at 2k to anyone with a Multiplus and still make the buyer very happy (as a new one is more than double that) :-)

1 hour ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

some kitchen stuff

That little flatlet is costing me over 20k already. 12k for the kitchen, 2k for new mixer in the kitchen and taps in the bathroom, 6k for new blinds, and then all the other little stuff like silicon sealant and cleaning products. It's going to take months to get that back from rent... but I had to do a good job, and I wasn't fitting another cheap mixer... I went with a Grohe this time.

That little flatlet is costing me over 20k already.

Warriors in the trenches, you and I. Me after a unforeseen R26k repair bill on the Isuzu, replace the water pump sooner, they said. :-) 

As you, any monies spent now, must be good for a few years at least!

2 hours ago, plonkster said:

It's a Multi with a 26 series processor, got to be worth a bit more :-)

Advertise it for R10k with the Ziehl. Multiplus in Cpt and regs see.

If the Multiplus goes, the buyer can get another Multiplus or Quattro 2nd hand, and carry on.

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, plonkster said:

No, back when we discussed it I said that was the number below which I'd just keep it. I still feel that way :-)

There's no way I'd throw the Ziehl in. I can sell that thing at 2k to anyone with a Multiplus and still make the buyer very happy (as a new one is more than double that) :-)

I missed this post ... would have comfortably paid R5k for Multi and Ziehl together, as the Ziehl gives me the freedom of movement later.

But I planted the other seed already. :-) 

EDIT: But I suspect the Multigrid is the better buy.

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, plonkster said:

Did you manage to find one?

Jip.

6 in Jhb. Placing the order tomorrow morning.

Price?

Dealer prices. :-) 

Either I wait 8 weeks and save another R1250 on it, or I pay that amount more and get one this week.

Will order the Carlo in the mean time, as the NBEEF can install that so long.

Right, the Energy meter Carlo Gavazzi ET112 and RS485 to USB interface cable 5m and 75/15 is arriving today.

The Victron MultiGrid 24V 3kVA 70A by Friday as I ran into an issue with the supplier.

Thanks to @Chris Hobson who put me in contact with @Chris-R , who made the problem go away.

For the record: It must be noted here that Chris-R stated, categorically, that he will NEVER EVER buy anything Blue whatsoever ...

As much as it "pained" me (tears where flowing from laughter), I had to point out that because of me ... he technically DID buy a Blue product,! O yes he did. :D

Big thank you guys for helping me stay in budget averting me from getting 'die moer in' and pay more. 

And I must add, that 2 x 200w panel discussion, resulting in me at last removing the worry about that panel that met me, at a minimal extra cost, I now have spare capacity on call to add another 1000w.  Thanks to all the people who contributed there.

NBEEF is lined up, as is "The Engineer."

After all is said and done, for those who want to go legal in CoCT areas, I hope to share some good news ito what it COULD actually cost to get it all signed off.

From where I started on quotes of R10k+ for off-grid sign off, going over to grid tied at what I am now quoted ... the price drop is massive. All because of a NBEEF and "The Engineer" wanting to help people who want to install solar. They are not only helping the industry, but also helping it be compliant and safe. 

Edited by Guest

As for the earth leakage issue I'm facing, I might have a solution, though this still needs to be tested.

This morning I unplugged all my loads on that circuit, went through the test sequence (basically cause a power failure, and then let the Multigrid reconnect to the grid: It tests the relays and the bonding at that time). With everything unplugged, no tripping. Even my lights work, just none of the appliances. This proves that what I am dealing with is "standing loss" in my appliances, that is, a tiny bit of neutral to earth leakage usually caused by surge arrestors or similar devices that sit between neutral and earth and that is unavoidable. Apparently you should budget 2mA for every 10A, and when you reach the halfway point (around 15mA) you start to get nuisance tripping. The Multi needs less than 10mA for the mandated relay tests, but together with my appliances that's just too much.

So the fix I intend applying is:

1. Multi gets its own RCD on the grid side, with a 300mA trip rating. This is acceptable for equipment (as opposed to appliances). By using one with included overload protection, this need not be an additional extra breaker.

2. Multi gets its own 30mA RCD on the output, which it's already got.

Now I just need to contact my sparky... and man is he difficult to get ahold of!

Bloody hell the pin just dropped (and it made a dent)... of course the leakage from earth to neutral is going to be higher when the Multi switches! While it is doing this, the neutral is unbonded, which means there is an around 90V potential difference... which WILL cause more leakage. That's why everything is fine once it's done switching.

2 hours ago, plonkster said:

Bloody hell the pin just dropped (and it made a dent)... of course the leakage from earth to neutral is going to be higher when the Multi switches! While it is doing this, the neutral is unbonded, which means there is an around 90V potential difference... which WILL cause more leakage. That's why everything is fine once it's done switching.

Am I heading for the same?

Edited by Guest

43 minutes ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

Am I heading for the same?

You very well might be.

The first thing to get used to is the clatter the Multigrid makes when it connects to the grid. It tests all the relays so it goes clickety-clackety-clack and if you don't know better you'd think something is wrong (cause it sounds a bit like the bendix drive on a car with a flat battery). Then it waits another 30 seconds (or maybe it is 60, depending on grid code) and then it closes the transfer switch.

If you also still have your Ziehl in circuit (like I do at the moment), with the big contactor, and two RCDs tripping, it's an almighty noise of things going clack when it trips ;-)

39 minutes ago, plonkster said:

clickety-clackety-clack

Thanks for that heads-up. :-)

I have a lot of clicks already on the APC's - when the Phoenix comes on / off line.

Will see if I can now remove them, if the devices I want on, is on the always on circuit.

The 2nd biggest thing with the APC's was the worry some Eskom power. But at 50w draw just for being on, it is a irk.

7 hours ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

Thanks to @Chris Hobson who put me in contact with @Chris-R , who made the problem go away.

For the record: It must be noted here that Chris-R stated, categorically, that he will NEVER EVER buy anything Blue whatsoever ...

As much as it "pained" me (tears where flowing from laughter), I had to point out that because of me ... he technically DID buy a Blue product,! O yes he did. :D

Big thank you guys for helping me stay in budget averting me from getting 'die moer in' and pay more. 

I am just so enjoying the fact that the Voltronic boys saved the day.:lol:

42 minutes ago, Chris Hobson said:

I am just so enjoying the fact that the Voltronic boys saved the day.:lol:

Yes, by having to buy Blue ... ;-)