Loadshedding Backup System (Farm)

Mark

Hi All

Its taken a year but this is my system as it stands... easy upgrade opportunities for the next few years (finance available of course) given the expandability/overkill ;) built in.

post-862-0-17314700-1437905165_thumb.jpg

Initially 2x Renesolar Virtus II 300W panels.

post-862-0-41145500-1437905169_thumb.jpg

Newly installed Axpert 5kv 48V Inverter/Charger/MPPT.

post-862-0-19312900-1437905164_thumb.jpg

PV Combiner Box (1 string used)

PV Cutoff Switch

post-862-0-82207900-1437905172_thumb.jpg

New DB Board (for all lights, including outside floods (LED 10W))   Note yellow tape to stop fiddling fingers ;)

Extra plugs off new board for:

- Security/Alarm System

- Wireless AP/Router

- TV/DSTV

- Laptop/Weather Station

- 2x Extra's for Phone charging, etc

Currently 48V 200ah battery bank (2 4x102ah deep cycle batteries)

Love the Axpert as it bypasses the batteries when there is enough PV energy and then cuts over to Eksdom as soon as battery drops to specified voltage (48V) - cuts back when batteries are full (setting on Axpert).

Happy to field questions!

Regards

Mark

Thanks to: Mike Thorne/Chris for advice.

PS:  I have a Microcare 40A MPPT Charge Controller for sale... Very Negotiable on price ;)

see http://powerforum.co.za/topic/225-for-sale-microcare-40a-mppt-solar-battery-charge-controller/

Hi Mark

Nice one!  Your cabling should be in conduit or flexible conduit when you start tidying up. I like that you are designing your system with future expansion in mind. I also find the Axpert "works". Things happen seamlessly and when my staff cock-up starting the generator I don't even know. I have a timer switch and 9 secs after I have stable power the inverter gets power.

PLease tell me more about your solar geyser.

Hi Chris

Solar geyser is an el chepo low pressure geyser (around R2800).  I use a bit of a farm solution... non-return valves and header tank so I can use a pressure pump and a gas geyser if needed.  When the pump comes on the solar geyser is disconnected.  Otherwise its the hot water source and is fed from header tank.

I plan to add another solar geyser in series so I can double the water and also don't get caught when the cold tops up the geyser.  Dilutes the hot water.

Works well for me!

Mark

HI Mark.

Do you find that you solar geyser is sufficient 80% of the time?

I am in two minds about a solar geyser.

I am planning a conventional geyser with the ability to do solar but with 2x1000W elements (was told you can get geysers with space for two elements.). Today I did an evaluation of my system (perfect day with only

Hi Chris

The solar geyser Q is a really interesting one for me.  I initially bought this cheap one as a test (100l).  It works well for showering in the evenings in the winter on a sunny day.  Otherwise the water is warm but not hot.  It cools overnight especially if the nights are below 10deg.  I knew this as its a drawback of the low pressure design.

In the summer - it boils over, literally, and you need to start by turning the cold water on before adding hot... otherwise its way to hot for showering/bathing.

I am considering adding a 250l (25 tube) model (also low pressure) but in series with the esisiting one.  That way top up water will be preheated before it gets to the main geyser.

I have been looking at these guys: http://www.thesunpays.co.za/low_pressure_systems.htm as they seem to have great prices... basically 3 for the price of a fancy high pressure geyser.

I also like my gas geyser/solar geyser setup and has worked well for over a year.  Very easy not brainer cutover as well.

Regards

Mark

I am going to try my hare-brained scheme with conventional geyser. Local sparkie has a geyeser with a heat pump on the top that has blown and the geyser part has space for two elements. It is 1/3 to half full of lime so I will have to try and clean it somehow. But I can try my idea without any real capital outlay baring the wiring. There are still the old copper pipes from a 1970s solar geyser that did not work. 

I am going to try my hare-brained scheme with conventional geyser. Local sparkie has a geyeser with a heat pump on the top that has blown and the geyser part has space for two elements. It is 1/3 to half full of lime so I will have to try and clean it somehow. But I can try my idea without any real capital outlay baring the wiring. There are still the old copper pipes from a 1970s solar geyser that did not work. 

The guys I quoted above offer a solution without the tank so you could combine the 2.  I like the idea of driving the element(s) with excess solar power... I have none of that at the moment - only 2 panels ;(

I guess you can dissolve the lime with "google here"...

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark

All looking great.

Can you please let me know what components you are using in the combiner box and where you got them and a +- price?

Then another question from the picture your surge arrestor does not seem to have a earth connected to it?

I will be mounting my rails for my 3x 300w ReneSola Virtus II Panels this weekend, still waiting for my Axpert was suppose to be here 9 July then the supplier changed date to 30 July so maybe I'm lucky enough to have that also next week :)

Thanks

Hi Mark

All looking great.

Can you please let me know what components you are using in the combiner box and where you got them and a +- price?

Then another question from the picture your surge arrestor does not seem to have a earth connected to it?

I will be mounting my rails for my 3x 300w ReneSola Virtus II Panels this weekend, still waiting for my Axpert was suppose to be here 9 July then the supplier changed date to 30 July so maybe I'm lucky enough to have that also next week :)

Thanks

Hi

Sorry about the delay in an answer.

The combiner box came from Rubricon in PE (R2500 about). They have some standard sizes and supply them as a unit. Just remember to order fuses as well. They are not included ;)

Well spotted on the earth connection. I still need to add this but the panels are already earthed to a seperate rod in the ground. I still have to buy the earth cable to link them.

[email protected] was great helping with all the bits.

Regards

Mark