Thank you for the great forum, Safe Driving over the weekend. Sincerely Jason
Leonc

Joburg regulations for solar

19 minutes ago, Leonc said:

I need a COC for my pv system. I presume for insurance it would also be required. 

Then if all is ok, the CoC for the aC side, should take about 1-2 hours max.

Recently heard that in CoCT, one may need a CoC for the panels too. Busy checking that. 

Normally a Sparkie would nog give a CoC for the DC side, for that you need to up the price, and ask for a solar installer. 

You may find one here: https://www.pvgreencard.co.za/reg/installers/inst-directory.php

Insurance, o yes! Speak to your insurer / broker asking them what do they need to underwrite it properly, and under what section the cover would be placed. Can affect the premium and excesses. Make sure you see it reflected on your policy schedule, once deal is concluded.

Hi all ,  The installer did not install any back to grid switch on my solar system . Will the Hager SFT 240 change over switch  be the right switch for an off grid installation .

30 minutes ago, Chris Louw said:

Will the Hager SFT 240 change over switch

That's perfect for a bypass switch. I have one of those for my system (Disconnects the inverter out and connects the grid instead).

31 minutes ago, Chris Louw said:

for an off grid installation

Not 100% sure, but it is suitably interlocking and break before make so should be just fine.

23 hours ago, pilotfish said:

...and no AC feed to your inverter. The inverter system must be PV only, when batteries go low then the C/O switches the PV-DB to grid, and then back to PV when batteries have reached preset SOC.

I wonder if this still applies at night? OR if one could argue that at night the PV doesn't actually produce power.  Could one technically get past the legallities at night, since there's no PV to generate electricity?

Daily humor: I was at a large retailer's solar installation a while ago and just "looked around". They had 17x SolarEdge 27.5Kw grid tie inverters. So I ask one of the installers what batteries they're going to use. His answer to me was that the power is stored in the solar panels. I tried to explain to him that solar panels only produce energy, not store it. He was adamant that the solar panels store energy for night usage. Interestingly, a few weeks later I was at another of their sites and asked the manager there how their big solar plants were doing. Without thinging about it, he said "like shit. They never work".  

3 hours ago, SilverNodashi said:

I wonder if this still applies at night?

If I was a regulator, I'd simply point out that all we need to kill a line worker is for you to forget to unplug it one night. So I'm pretty sure it will apply at night :-)

4 minutes ago, plonkster said:

If I was a regulator, I'd simply point out that all we need to kill a line worker is for you to forget to unplug it one night. So I'm pretty sure it will apply at night :-)

but if the inverter is connected to the DB, without PV, it is legal? See where this is going? Yes, in circles, but there's not enough technical logic behind their reasoning. 

And as can be seen from someone else's experience, they actually don't want us to have solar energy. 

Just now, SilverNodashi said:

if the inverter is connected to the DB, without PV, it is legal?

I think the answer to that question is also no. By the letter of the law of SANS 10142-1, the changeover is not suitably interlocking and the contacts don't open far enough. It is not legal to be installed into a DB board.

But once you disconnect the PV panels it is no longer under the purview of NRS097-2-1, and since the regulators are rather a lot more relaxed and let way more stuff slide (or because it is difficult to enforce) you can probably get away with it as long as it doesn't burn down your house.

So no... it isn't necessarily legal. It just moves from breaking two laws to breaking only one: The one nobody enforces.

Interesting I'm in the process if switching to prepaid, because my power bill is R100 a month vs the +-R500 connection fee. I also have solar. Please just help me to understand the details of the no-prepaid rule. My DB is split and I have another DB for everything using the inverter.

So just to understand once you are on prepaid the inverter can never use AC to charge the batteries? Or are there some instances that it is allowed? Inverter is  NRS097-2-1 compliant  though. I've got a big lithium bank so I could technically just unplug my inverter from the AC as it's using those industrial grade high amp plugs to feed in AC.

Edited by Tersius

1 hour ago, Tersius said:

can never use AC to charge the batteries?

If the inverter is NRS097-2-1 certified then obviously you can charge batteries with it :-) And you will have to register it most likely, if not now then in the future. I don't know how the prepaid rule works where you live though.

Okay now have gone off grid with my 2nd DB board to be on the right side of COJ, the sparky has installed a manual change over switch, so now there is no connection from the grid to the inverter and here comes the questions.

My current setup.

1 X 5kv Axpert inverter

3 X Pylontech batteries

2 strings of 3 X 330w JA solar panels

Running ICC software

Question -

Being off grid now is there any settings that I must change on the inverter? 

Is there a function in the ICC software that can alert me if my batteries gets to say 30 SOC if so how do I set it up?

After adding the 3rd battery must I change menu 2, currently on 50A

Thanks 

20 hours ago, Leonc said:

Being off grid now is there any settings that I must change on the inverter? 

Not so much the inverter settings but you should limit your inverter output to about 3.5kW continous draw. A 16A CB on the output would be good.

20 hours ago, Leonc said:

After adding the 3rd battery must I change menu 2, currently on 50A

Yes you could be charging at 75A but the Axpert does not go that high.

46 minutes ago, Chris Hobson said:

Not so much the inverter settings but you should limit your inverter output to about 3.5kW continous draw. A 16A CB on the output would be good.

46 minutes ago, Chris Hobson said:

Thanks Chris

14 hours ago, d3nominat0r said:

@Antony, any feedback yet?

No real feedback, what I got was I just need to ensure the CoC is done legally. It seems Ekurhuleni don't have anything is place as yet, maybe they are waiting on JHB to implement, then they will follow.

Hi all,

I have two questions:

1. Has anyone successfully exported power from a residential PV installation to the City of Joburg and been paid for it?

2. Does the Blue Nova Impi comply with any regulations in place for a residential installation in the City of Joburg?

Thanks for the help.

Ryan

On 2018/09/18 at 8:06 PM, Leonc said:

Reading the post "planning new installation" got me wondering what is the rules for a hybrid system in COJ.

I am not registered and thought it will be NERSA that will give the rules. See in COC you must register by Feb 2019.