axpert woes?

Gabriël

5 hours ago, Jaco de Jongh said:

Will post it early evening. 

Hi Gabriel, seems like all of them are relying on you connecting hot and cold water to the machine. Although they have a temp setting, i cant see anything indicating a heating cycle. 

10 KG Hisense R8k 830 wh per cycle.

1089723279_WhatsAppImage2018-10-04at3_47_03PM.thumb.jpeg.b7092f333935cc2538226d71dd416247.jpeg

6KG Bosh R3.8k 669 wh per cycle

1717816439_WhatsAppImage2018-10-04at3_48.13PM(2).jpeg.ffef5206b3a126aba990f451bd48e0e2.jpeg

And I did not take a picture of the Defy. 10kg R? 616 wh per cycle. 

WhatsApp Image 2018-10-04 at 3.48.21 PM.jpeg

I will never buy a Defy product again. I had a fridge that only lasted 5 years which I had to re-gas twice and replaced the compressor another 2 times. I also had a 6kg Defy front loader that lasted 4 years. Replaced the heating element twice and had numerous other problems. Ironically they only started giving problems as soon as their warranty was up.

Since then I switched to Bosch and have not had one problem.

Edited by GVC

1 hour ago, Jaco de Jongh said:

i cant see anything indicating a heating cycle

thanks @Jaco de Jongh, lets presume their calculations are made on max efficiency, thus they would provide max water temp which is then lowered with cold water... minimal or zero use of internal element??? could that be?... if so that's quite a scam, not so

/

9 minutes ago, gabriel said:

zero use of internal element???

It seems like it. 

9 minutes ago, gabriel said:

if so that's quite a scam, not so

I am not so sure about it. Most other washing machines works on mixing cold and hot water, i just think the manufacturers of front loaders had to adopt the same principle to remain in an energy efficient market. 

16 hours ago, GVC said:

Since then I switched to Bosch and have not had one problem.

That's a route we also seem to be taking. When we buy new appliances, they are usually Bosch. We still have an A-rated Defy chest freezer that's giving zero problems, is now 5 years old and has paid for itself by year-2. If it breaks it won't matter too much. The only European chest-freezer maker I know of is AEG and those things are COSTLY. Bosch, as far as I can determine, makes only upright Freezers and their efficiency is simply not as good as a chest freezer.

Our most-recent Defy product that got booted for a Bosch was the tumble drier. The other two non-Bosch items that remain is a Phillips Kettle (from 2002, before the name was sold to the Chinese), and a Samsung Microwave. But the conversion to Bosch is definitely a thing in my household... my wife already has her eye on a nice Bosch kettle.

I find Siemens a bit cheaper sometimes so either is good.

"While Bosch and Siemens are two different brands under the same flagship company BSH established in 1967 worldwide, recently Siemens has sold all its share in BSH to Bosch, making Bosch 100% owner of BSH now"  says google :)

Edited by Mark

• 4 weeks later...

so i received the pylon-icc cable from @Riaanh [thanks!], inserted it in the right port [plus usb on the laptop] after re-configuring icc and got no battery data on the icc dashboard. i figured ok, you'll have to switch the batteries off and on again, maybe it will send data to the icc after a 'reboot'.

GROOT SKRIK, as i switched the batteries off NO LIGHT, and the axpert went dead, no display, no sound no nothing - so i switched it off and on, nothing. it was on bypass at the stage, i.e. supplying load from utility and keeping the pylons in float.

i hit the changeover switch to get the house on grid and started to check the battery breaker with a volt meter [ohmage][did it blow?- no].

i then went through a battery, axpert reconnect motion but the axpert stayed as dead as a doornail.

any help here guys?

:huh:

oh yeah, forgot to mention it is raining in vredenburg, that is VERY good news :D

Edited by gabriel

48 minutes ago, gabriel said:

i switched the batteries off NO LIGHT, and the axpert went dead, no display, no sound no nothing

That part actually isn't surprising. Models manufactured at or after about 2015 don't have an AC power supply, so the processor runs off battery power. But obviously, it should come back after the battery is re-connected, assuming that the main switch at the bottom is turned on.

Did you have PV power at the time the battery was disconnected? Even moderate PV panel power, if it was charging the battery, might have allowed the voltage at the inverter battery terminals to have spiked quite high, higher than the battery-side circuitry can stand. Unmodified Axperts are already operating close to the limits of their components.

Do you see around 49-50 V at the battery terminals when it's all switched on? If you don't have pre-charge, then it's possible that your battery isolator has gone high resistance due to too many multi-thousand amp connects.

6 hours ago, gabriel said:

so i switched it off and on, nothing.

Morning Gabriël

After switching o battery, did you press the little red button at the bottom? On press all the LED's light up and then blackout again.

Just switching on at the main on/off switch doesn't "kick" it into gear.

Shout if you still have problems

R

1 hour ago, Riaanh said:

After switching o battery, did you press the little red button at the bottom? On press all the LED's light up and then blackout again.

I was about to ask the same. The startup procedure you turn on the switch on all the batteries, and then press the red button on one of them.

38 minutes ago, plonkster said:

I was about to ask the same. The startup procedure you turn on the switch on all the batteries, and then press the red button on one of them.

it is supposed to start up all the units when you press the red button on the one closest to the inverter. However, it works randomly for me.

I would press the red button on all of them, wait for all the red lights to flicker and then stabilize with one red light winking.

thanks guys, problem sorted.

@Riaanhinspected things via teamviewer and found a little bug preventing the icc to see the com port for the pylons... it kept seeing the com 3 usb port which i used some time ago with the bmv702 [a dejavu thing?] but now icc sees the pylons.

BUT

i still get the axpert switching back to grid in the kettle boil test BEFORE/ON reaching 50.10v and 98%soc on the pylontech readout in icc NOTWITHSTANDING my setting 12, battery to utility voltage, is set to 48v, and my setting 29 , low cut-off voltage being set at 47.5v, any ideas?

ps

i did not waste the water... drinking a cuppa right now :)

Edited by gabriel
xtra data

12 hours ago, gabriel said:

i still get the axpert switching back to grid in the kettle boil test BEFORE/ON reaching 50.10v and 98%soc on the pylontech readout in icc NOTWITHSTANDING my setting 12, battery to utility voltage, is set to 48v, and my setting 29 , low cut-off voltage being set at 47.5v, any ideas?

If you are running unpatched firmware, or the non-LFP patched firmware, then the low voltage warning will be at the battery cutoff voltage plus 2.0 V. That would be 49.5 V in your case. When the battery low warning voltage is higher than the back to utility voltage setting, the battery low voltage will be used instead of the back to utility setting voltage, to determine whether to switch to utility or not.

It's quite possible that the battery sags enough under a kettle load to reach 49.5 V from around 50.1 V.

I did a quick search to see what firmware you are running (my apologies if you've told me and I forgot), and I found the posts around April where you seemed to leave it up to the supplier. I'm not totally sure that every supplier knows the advantages of Weber and Coulomb's patched firmware over factory firmware :). Updating to say 73.00c will probably solve your kettle problem if you're not already running at least 73.00b.

Weber and I were considering another fix for this, which would involve more patching, but we were weighed down with a brickish problem :o, and this has dramatically slowed progress on that front.

@gabriel.

Do you have a multi meter? Try and measure the exact voltage when you do the test. I have realized lately that there is a time delay between what happens and what ICC display.

It might be that the voltage is already below switch over point, but Icc is still updating the value, so what you see is not accurate at the given time. 

Re-do the test , while measuring the actual voltage.  

5 hours ago, gabriel said:

i'm already running 73b, is there something later?

As I hinted earlier, we have some code written but not debugged that will crudely compensate the battery current measurement by the load current and a guess of internal resistance. But we ran into a brick wall, (bricked the inverter) when testing. To make matters much worse, it happened to be a borrowed machine as well. :o

We're working on something that will help us develop patches in a safer manner. So, hopefully in the next few weeks or so.

On 2018/10/31 at 2:00 PM, gabriel said:

if not the sw version it might be a setting, see attached

I'd reduce parameter/setting 13 (back to battery voltage setting) down to 50 V. I think it's taking 20 minutes for mains charging to push the battery from 48-ish to 51-ish volts. 51 V is 3.4 VPC, which is after the long voltage plateau. 50 V is 3.33 VPC, right on the plateau, so it should switch over much quicker.

That's assuming that you're preferring not to use mains/utility power whenever possible. If you ever wanted to store up some mains energy, say knowing that a storm or scheduled outage is coming soon, then bump up that setting temporarily.