Axpert 73.00c Firmware Upgrade

Kalito

I attempted to upgrade my 5KVA (4kW) Mecer with the patched firmware. I discovered an old USB to serial adapter in my stuff. Windows could not recognize it properly (something to do with counterfeit chipset or the sort from some net reading) but I got a driver fix and the thing was recognized. I am running Win10. However, after the about 30sec wait after clicking on update I got an error that Serial Port failed to open. This is despite the display showing that the port was opened. Is my adapter too ancient to work or maybe its a known issue? I tried different COM ports same result.

1137439832_Cannotopen.jpg.b6a256838f5a4bd3f99b008b0f3bd440.jpgComOpened.jpg.5db2a4912d5d6073d9ed4656cc35b7f2.jpg

I will try to get my hands on a more modern adapter and see what happens.

2 hours ago, Kalito said:

I attempted to upgrade my 5KVA (4kW) Mecer with the patched firmware. I discovered an old USB to serial adapter in my stuff. Windows could not recognize it properly (something to do with counterfeit chipset or the sort from some net reading) but I got a driver fix and the thing was recognized.

I think that that USB to serial interface should be fine. I used one like that for a long time, but now that I type this, I recall it had to be replaced for some reason. Maybe I found a driver for one OS, and it didn't work on the next.

However, after the about 30sec wait after clicking on update I got an error that Serial Port failed to open. This is despite the display showing that the port was opened.

One of these "opens" is merely getting a good result from connecting to the serial port; basically, that it exists at all.

I think the other one is not receiving the expected response from the inverter.

Is my adapter too ancient to work or maybe its a known issue?

It could be.

I tried different COM ports same result.

Are you positive that COM3 (in your photos) is the correct port? On my Windows 10 laptop, even with nothing plugged in, comm ports 5 and 8 are "Standard serial over Bluetooth". Try running Device Manager, and look under Ports. it enumerates the full name of each port, so  you may get some clues from that.

@Coulomb I managed to update the firmware! I had to get a new USB to Serial and learnt a bit about how the chip in the adapter is important. If anyone has been having issues they can check the chips in their adapter using this tool from Prolific who provide the drivers for the adapter: http://www.prolific.com.tw/UserFiles/files/PL2303_CheckChipVersion_v1006.zip I had a PL2303 chip which Win10 will not work with. Prolific recommends PL2303 HXD or PL2303TA. The one I bought ended up being PL2303HXD

USBSerial.png.a84650e00e34e8b6c46de56bfebfc291.png

Smooth operation no issues:

UpdateSuccess.png.9c25b8afcbaf8c946eb4c36103959391.png

• 2 years later...

@Coulomb does the 73e firmware LF1 sort out the bug on adjusting the low voltage disconnect? I have 73c running on a Mecer since this post. Have added a lithium batt and thought to upgrade to 73e. 73c still throws off the SOC algorithm when you alter the 42V default disconnect to say 46V. Lithium batt has 53.5V charge and 51V float with 46V cut out.

3 hours ago, Kalito said:

does the 73e firmware LF1 sort out the bug on adjusting the low voltage disconnect? I have 73c running on a Mecer since this post. Have added a lithium batt and thought to upgrade to 73e. 73c still throws off the SOC algorithm when you alter the 42V default disconnect to say 46V.

By "SOC algorithm" I assume you mean the inverters display of SOC. That's almost completely useless, since it's based on voltage, and the LFP chemistry has too flat of a voltage versus SOC curve. But we did change it in 73.00e to display 0% at the cut-off voltage setting, and 100% at the float voltage setting, and linear in between, using compensated battery voltage readings. Patched firmware version 73.00c doesn't seem to have that "feature".

You are far better off ignoring the inverter's SOC display, and using the value from the battery's BMS (as read by ICC or other monitoring software), or from a battery monitor such as a Victron BMV.

Edited by Coulomb

On 2021/05/01 at 6:03 PM, Coulomb said:

By "SOC algorithm" I assume you mean the inverters display of SOC. That's almost completely useless, since it's based on voltage, and the LFP chemistry has too flat of a voltage versus SOC curve. But we did change it in 73.00e to display 0% at the cut-off voltage setting, and 100% at the float voltage setting, and linear in between, using compensated battery voltage readings. Patched firmware version 73.00c doesn't seem to have that "feature".

You are far better off ignoring the inverter's SOC display, and using the value from the battery's BMS (as read by ICC or other monitoring software), or from a battery monitor such as a Victron BMV.

Glad to report that I updated to 73E and set cutoff to 46V without that crazy battery bar drop. So atleast 0% be regarded as 46V and 100% 51V. Atleast there is also absorption time. Thanx