Solar System for Factory

Hi Fresh Bake

A GTI system where you have a large bill has the quickest return on investment (ROI).

It will not give you energy independence from ESKOM but depending on the size and the scope of your usage will mean that you can generate anything between 25% and 75% of total electricity bill. Trying to cover 95% of you bill is not particularly cost effective as there is more idle time on your solar panels.

The same with trying to build a system that can power large loads when the power is down. The battery costs for a solar backup system is prohibitive. You can power servers and essential electronics but not an entire factory.

Not sure of your power consumption , but if you wanted to branch out into plastic recycling there is a crowd in the cape that offers a solution. They run a pyrolysis machine the feed a 100kva genset and provides you with power, a heavy fuel oil and some other sellable stuff. I know it's not solar but also 'green'

• 7 months later...
On 2018/10/26 at 7:03 AM, seant said:

Not sure of your power consumption , but if you wanted to branch out into plastic recycling there is a crowd in the cape that offers a solution. They run a pyrolysis machine the feed a 100kva genset and provides you with power, a heavy fuel oil and some other sellable stuff. I know it's not solar but also 'green'

This plastic recycling pyrolysis, is not as good as it promises. The end result, is a parrafin wax type based fuel, that stinks to high heaven. I have done extensive experimentation in this field,

and this only becomes feasible on a massive scale. Some of the huge industry players, who have all but taken over the raw material market required, have abondoned most of the pyrolysis as uneconomical.

I manufacture an industrial heating fuel, using waste vegetable oils, and have yet to see a pyrolysis plant run and actually deliver a cost effective product that is usable or marketable. 

On average, 600-700kg of waste plastic(high grade, clean waste) may yield around 500 litres of wax based paraffin, of which 20-25% is utilized in the pyrolysis process. The emissions and off-gasses, resulting from this process, will be almost impossible to pass local legislation or environmental by-laws.

On 2018/10/24 at 9:13 PM, Fresh Bake said:

Solar or Wind Turbine

Here I will give you the advice I was given. There are strong winds at times where I live, but inconsistent. However there is almost always sunshine. In my scenario a solar system is more efficient than a wind system would have been.

I would say a grid tied solar system would likely work out best for you, assuming your factory has its production line running during the day.

47 minutes ago, Solaris said:

Here I will give you the advice I was given. There are strong winds at times where I live, but inconsistent. However there is almost always sunshine. In my scenario a solar system is more efficient than a wind system would have been.

I would say a grid tied solar system would likely work out best for you, assuming your factory has its production line running during the day.

And.... You would be able to generate most of your required energy during normal working hours. If you are operational 24 hours, you would be reducing your electrical bill by at least 30%?

Without the batteries of course, a major cost component of the capital investment.