using solar assistant on Axpert mks 4.

Hello All

Quite new to this stuff and have had some very good help with other topics on solar from a number of people on the forum so many thanks for that.

I am thinking of adding solar assistant as a method to monitor both my pv and batteries. I will get a PI model 3 and then a copy of the software to flash to the PI. I have an Axpert MKS 4  5.5 Kw inverter and a pair of pylontech us5000 batteries.

If I fit the pi in the solar cupboard and have it powered from there and I add a usb from the PI to the usb on the inverter will this then connect the PI to the inverter or do I need to add a USB to rs232 adaptor to connect to the comm port on my inverter and then to the PI.

I have not used this type of stuff before so I wanted to ensure that I got the correct cables before I tried to access the data via the PI.

I currently have the pylontech batteries connected to the bms comm port on the inverter and just wanted to ensure that the RS232 port was the one to connect to the PI.

I am also interested to know if the connection to the comm port for the PI will be able to monitor the data from the batteries as well, given that the batteries comm cable to the inverter is what determines the charge and requirement for charging from the axpert.

I realise that this may be simple to some of you but it is my first steps towards decent monitoring software and I am concerned to get it right without causing any issues with either the batteries or the inverter if something I add, does not want to play ball with something in the inverter of the batteries. I am sure many of you are very proficient at this stuff and from someone that isn't I am asking for some assistance before I get started.

As ever any help would be very welcome and gratefully received

Regards

Bony999

If Comms are working correctly between battery and inverter, then that is what SA will read.

SA recommended either the micro USB port or the RS port. I would try the USB port first

SA is as close to plug and play as you can get with anything solar related, just plan out where you're mounting your Pi, the cable runs, and ensure its in a spot that gets decent WiFi connectivity or run a LAN cable to it if required

Hi madness_za

Thanks for the reply, I will be mounting the PI in the same cupboard as the inverter as I get a good wi fi signal from the inverter at present.

Luckily there is no issue with wiring up the pi and I can use the usb on the inverter and the PI. I am assuming I will need the  wi fi dongle off my old PI 1 as a way to connect all to the home network. I have been using Dessmonitor for a while and while it is free and quite basic I want to be able to monitor a lot more of my system so it looks like SA is a good bet.

Thanks for getting back to me

Regards

Bony999

4 minutes ago, bony999 said:

Hi madness_za

Thanks for the reply, I will be mounting the PI in the same cupboard as the inverter as I get a good wi fi signal from the inverter at present.

Luckily there is no issue with wiring up the pi and I can use the usb on the inverter and the PI. I am assuming I will need the  wi fi dongle off my old PI 1 as a way to connect all to the home network. I have been using Dessmonitor for a while and while it is free and quite basic I want to be able to monitor a lot more of my system so it looks like SA is a good bet.

Thanks for getting back to me

Regards

Bony999

I would try and mount it a little away from the inverter itself, I noticed that mine is getting rather warm being attached to my inverter so I'll be moving mine a little further out for peace of mind