Jump to content
Thank you for the great forum, Safe Driving over the weekend. Sincerely Jason
Coulomb

MPP Solar inverters support Pylontech (some models)

Recommended Posts

The black one is the one which works. It came with the inverter. It's connected to the RS485 port of Pylontech 

The white one is a CAN bus that came with the Pylontech, I think its for other litium batteries. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well hopefully when the next firmware is available the BMS port will be enabled on the king. I’m using ICC to control my king at the moment so it’s not too much of an issue. But it would still be nice for the batteries to communicate with the inverter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RichieRich said:

Well hopefully when the next firmware is available the BMS port will be enabled on the king. I’m using ICC to control my king at the moment so it’s not too much of an issue. But it would still be nice for the batteries to communicate with the inverter.

I'm trying to determine if there is any advantages of having the Pylontech enabled firmware (once you have ICC). 

Now the inverter know the right SOC, but... for what? This is useless

The real advantage would be that the inverter read the battery voltage through the BMS instead of calculating by itself, because there is some parameters related with the battery voltage:

* Change to grid

* Change to solar

* Battery cutoff

I'm not sure about if the inverter reads the battery voltage through the BMS or not. I'm testing yet. 

I have read in some post that some of you are using floating voltages below the recommended by Pylontech. If you select Pylon in Battery type, you couldn't change the floating voltage. Obviously you could select "user define" in battery type, but then you will lose BMS communication... 🤔 Or not? I will test it too 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the moment my king is showing error 04 and i believe this is due to the voltage getting to close to the cut off voltage set at 47.5v  (voltage at 50.75v now) i think when it gets to around 51.5v the error will disappear. Im hoping with the inverter have the correct lithium settings and connected to the battery that this won't be a problem anymore.

Also i believe the battery BMS communicate with the inverter to tell it when to charge and when not to charge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I take the opportunity to ask one thing 

My scenario is a totally isolated cottage, so I have no grid, neither generator. 

I would like to stop the system when batteries are at 50%. I have tried the "Change to grid" option in ICC solar, but when I reach 50% of SoC nothing happens. I think it doesn't change to grid, because there is no grid. 

How could I make the system stop (inverter off or standby) when batteries are at 50% (or any other value of SoC)? 

I think my only possibility is using cutoff parameter on inverter, but it only reach as much as 48v, and I don't know (yet) what SoC is equivalent to 48v

Some idea? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, TomasCrespo said:

I take the opportunity to ask one thing 

My scenario is a totally isolated cottage, so I have no grid, neither generator. 

I would like to stop the system when batteries are at 50%. I have tried the "Change to grid" option in ICC solar, but when I reach 50% of SoC nothing happens. I think it doesn't change to grid, because there is no grid. 

How could I make the system stop (inverter off or standby) when batteries are at 50% (or any other value of SoC)? 

I think my only possibility is using cutoff parameter on inverter, but it only reach as much as 48v, and I don't know (yet) what SoC is equivalent to 48v

Some idea? 

The only thing i can think of is using the home automation feature of ICC and connecting a relay to turn off the inverter feed out when the battery gets to 50% SOC?

You can also use the Advanced power management with the wireless POW's but the max amperage is 16amps per POW so you may not be able to use one just one the out going supply. but if you use 2-4 POW across different circuits  you my have more flexibility as what SOC things turn off. So some items turn off at 65% SOC and others at 45% SOC.

Edited by RichieRich

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RichieRich said:

The only thing i can think of is using the home automation feature of ICC and connecting a relay to turn off the inverter feed out when the battery gets to 50% SOC?

You can also use the Advanced power management with the wireless POW's but the max amperage is 16amps per POW so you may not be able to use one just one the out going supply. but if you use 2-4 POW across different circuits  you my have more flexibility as what SOC things turn off. So some items turn off at 65% SOC and others at 45% SOC.

Good idea. I suppose I will do that if there is no easier option 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Tomas, I have some trouble with Plyontec to Solartech PIP-5048GK aka VMIII .

A friend who own both devices don't know how make comunication from RS485. He have not cable for this operation. My trouble is find the correct pinout for build myself the right cable. In early post you speaked about two cable in the inverter pakage: white for CANbus an other? I think is for  comunocatin from inverter and Plyontech. So I ask you for a little hep to explain how to build cable  pin to pin...

Thanks in advance for your precious help, sorry for my bad english, I am italian.

Best Regards by Lupocattivo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lupocattivo said:

Hi Tomas, I have some trouble with Plyontec to Solartech PIP-5048GK aka VMIII .

A friend who own both devices don't know how make comunication from RS485. He have not cable for this operation. My trouble is find the correct pinout for build myself the right cable. In early post you speaked about two cable in the inverter pakage: white for CANbus an other? I think is for  comunocatin from inverter and Plyontech. So I ask you for a little hep to explain how to build cable  pin to pin...

Thanks in advance for your precious help, sorry for my bad english, I am italian.

Best Regards by Lupocattivo.

Uh oh.... may be  Youda just replied to the question...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Youda said:

Hi, the wiring of the cables for MPI Hybrid and PIP is here:

 

https://powerforum.co.za/topic/2322-youdas-off-grid-lab/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-55761

 

Yes sir, you right! In addition for further users I will add the help received from - Eric Hsiao - Product Manager, MPP Solar Inc that told me:

"The unit is correct and can support Pylontech"  -  unit is: MPP Solar - PIP 5048GK spacer.png

See you lather and a big thank from Lupocattivo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2019/05/10 at 8:03 PM, TomasCrespo said:

Hi again, 

I finally got my inverter replaced 

Now I have one VMIII dated 2018/11/01 but with Pylontech enabled firmware. I can choose Pylon on menu 05.

I making my first tests, but at least now SOC is informed right on LCD screen. 

If you select Pylon in parameter 05 (battery type) some others parameters are not able to modify, like bulk charge or flotation voltage. That's logic, but I don't understand why the parameter "cut-off voltage" is disabled too. I would like to cutoff the battery at an higher voltage. 

So, if someone has any question about an inverter with this firmware, perhaps I could help 

did they just swap your unit? also do you know how to tell that your unit can be upgraded?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They replaced the unit. They said that it wasn't possible with only a firmware update, they said that there were some hardware changes, but I doubt that there are hardware differences, I think is only firmware. 

 

Anyway, I can't observe any advantage of having the Pylontech compatible firmware or not. My main concern was about the "cut voltage" parameter, and it has the same values in both firmwares 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TomasCrespo said:

They replaced the unit. They said that it wasn't possible with only a firmware update, they said that there were some hardware changes, but I doubt that there are hardware differences, I think is only firmware. 

 

Anyway, I can't observe any advantage of having the Pylontech compatible firmware or not. My main concern was about the "cut voltage" parameter, and it has the same values in both firmwares 

I see.

for interest sake what firmware version are you on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2019/07/04 at 8:39 AM, Lupocattivo said:

Yes sir, you right! In addition for further users I will add the help received from - Eric Hsiao - Product Manager, MPP Solar Inc that told me:

"The unit is correct and can support Pylontech"  -  unit is: MPP Solar - PIP 5048GK spacer.png

See you lather and a big thank from Lupocattivo.

I just spent 2 days with try and error regarding the RS485 communication between a PIP 5048GK and a Pylontech US3000. The pinout from the quote was also the response from MPPsolar but did NOT work. After many attempts I made it work with the following setup:

Inverter PIP 5048GK <-> Pylontech US3000

Pin 3 <-> Pin 8

Pin 5 <-> Pin 7

Youda proposed in his off grid LAB a version with Pin3<->Pin1 and Pin5<->Pin2 but this wasn't working. According to my Pylontech manual only Pin7+8 are usable for RS485 and this seems to be true.

Hope this helps...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2019/07/30 at 5:20 AM, Dex_ said:

I see.

for interest sake what firmware version are you on?

I'm not sure how to check firmware version, but in ICC Inverter values I have:

Main CPU: VERFW:00020.65

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

I have 2x Synapse 5.0K+ inverters in parallel. Running 4x US3000 Pylontech’s. I have finally connected the cable from the RS485 port on the main battery to the Li-ion port on the master inverter. Setting on master inverter 05 set to PYL, Inverter 2 aka slave set to USE otherwise it will give error 61, no communication. 
See images attached.

The battery light on the LCD keep blinking and don’t stay solid anymore (on inverter 1), I believe this indicate that it is communicating.

I have discovered the following:

Inverter 1 (master with cable to Pylontech), setting 02 change back to 10A, maybe because 11 is also 10A, no matter if I change it back to 40A, it will revert back to 10A. 12 at 48v and 13 at 51v (happy with these 2, was set as that before the cable), 16 set to SbL/UCb (will change that back to SLb soon), 26 and 27 was set to 53.2 (was the same before, happy with that), 28 PAL, 29 at 47v (was manually set to 45,5 as I believed the BMS will sort it self out and then I can just avoid error 04 noise, besides it should go to grid as per setting 12 at 48v). The lowest the batteries have ever discharged at any given day in the last 21 days was down to 21% (47v), there was always grid power available so it could just charge from grid if need to, this was also before the cable connection.

Inverter 2 (slave), setting 02 is set to originally at 40A, setting 11 at 10A as before, setting 12, 13, 16, 26, 27, 28 and 29 same as inverter 1 although I can change them as they are not locked like inverter 1 that is connected to the batteries. The battery light is not blinking as inverter 1 and also don’t have the addition BMS/Group 1/battery count 4 in the display as inverter 1.

I have also found that inverter 1 although batteries are full and PV are available will run the load from the battery while inverter 2 will still charge the batteries while running the load from PV as well. I know that inverter 2’s array supply or produce more kWh daily than inverter 1’s array. I have found this even before the cable was connected.

I have ICC connected to inverter 1 currently and only get info from the connected inverter, also have the pylontech cable connected from the console port to ICC. Firmware still 71.70

Couple questions:

1. Should I care that one inverter is doing things different from the other inverter as shown in the display pictures?

2. Should the automatic cut-off value just be ignored by me and should I just set the buzzer to silent so that it don’t bother me?

3. Should I change inverter 2’s setting 11 to the lowest setting of 2A and up the one connected with the cable to 40A to force it to 40A? I believe it will revert back to the setting on 11 as the lowest setting, therefore if the grid kick in it should charge at 40+2, which is close to having both set to 20A each (would have been happier to have the total charge from grid closer to 20A in total). Because of the SbL setting the grid kick in at midnight regardless of SOC. If both set at SLb they will only go to grid if PV is not available at around 48/47v and/or 20-22% SOC.

4. Is it possible to set one inverter at setting 16 to SbL and the other to SLb? 
5. Is it advisable to have both inverters setup the same? Or can I play around with different settings on the 2 inverters, meaning setting 02, 11 and 16, the other settings I would rather keep the same meaning 12, 13, 26, 27 and 29.

6. Should I rather have the inverter with the highest yield array connect to the pylontech batteries via the RS485 cable?

7. Is there a way to have both inverters connected to the batteries with the RS485 port to the Li-ion port in the inverter display?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to some comments or advice.

 

86E8DA75-43BE-4EC8-8E77-82DFF53D03F3.jpeg

196ACC86-152C-47EE-A96F-A358ED0DFB9D.jpeg

1B5031C4-F098-4FF6-886F-FA3F30C2BFDF.jpeg

DE362D8B-698D-4CC0-BD7D-D4FB1F04891C.jpeg

BC646DD0-7E31-4410-AD26-7E066BCB7D0D.png

Edited by Wilfred
Uploading dashboard from screenshot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Wilfred said:

1. Should I care that one inverter is doing things different from the other inverter as shown in the display pictures?

I think so. My understanding is that the inverters work a lot better when they cooperate properly.

Quote

2. Should the automatic cut-off value just be ignored by me and should I just set the buzzer to silent so that it don’t bother me?

Does the inverter connected to the battery still buzz with an unnecessary low battery warning? I would hope that this is one of the things that gets changed/fixed when the inverter has accurate SOC information.

Quote

3. Should I change inverter 2’s setting 11 to the lowest setting of 2A and up the one connected with the cable to 40A to force it to 40A?

I would hope that such manipulations won't be necessary. See below.

Quote

4. Is it possible to set one inverter at setting 16 to SbL and the other to SLb? 

I hope not. I would not advise it.

Quote

5. Is it advisable to have both inverters setup the same?

I believe so. But I also believe that this should happen automatically. It may happen automatically from main firmware version 71.80 and onwards. Unfortunately, you have a Synerji, [ edit: oops! No, it's a Synapse ] which I believe is a "work alike" (like a clone, but doesn't attempt to be an exact copy). I could be wrong on that; your display does look quite like the genuine models, though I've not spent much time with the Kings. So it might be possible to update to main firmware 71.80, and also display firmware 02.00. Beta 71.80d patched firmware here. Update at your own risk; I simply don't know whether Synerji have made any changes to the hardware that necessitated changes to the firmware. Because it shows as 71.70, it seems likely that they would be compatible, but no guarantees.

Quote

6. Should I rather have the inverter with the highest yield array connect to the pylontech batteries via the RS485 cable?

If and when they co-ordinate, it should not matter at all. If you choose not to update, then there may be some advantage to this, without thinking about it much.

Quote

7. Is there a way to have both inverters connected to the batteries with the RS485 port to the Li-ion port in the inverter display?

My understanding is that with 71.80 and patched versions based on that firmware, with only one inverter connected to the battery, they all operate as if they are connected to the battery.

Edited by Coulomb
oops re Synerji and Synapse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...