A much better way of connecting Home Assistant to your DEYE/Sunsynk inverter

Sc00bs

Hi Guys 

Just wanted to share my latest video on installation and connecting your inverter to Home Assistant using the new RS485 shield and ESP32C board. 

Makes life much easier to set the thing up, no soldering and you only need to connect the power up inside the inverter to a 12V power supply and the RS485 cables so dead easy. 

You can get the board and an ESP32 from https://smarthomeintegrations.co.za/ for R400 and get delivery in a day or so. 

Slipx06 (Paul) has also included some cool new YAML code to calculate Daily energy production and consumption in the ESP32 and send that info to HA as well. 

Let me know what you guys think of the video please

Edited by Sc00bs

• Sc00bs changed the title to A much better way of connecting Home Assistant to your DEYE/Sunsynk inverter

Great video, thank you! 

Do I understand correctly that this can communicate on the rs485 port while the Sunsynk dongle is still connected and have both working simultaneously? 

Having 2 x 5kW Sunsynk inverters installed in parallel as a master and a slave, do you only need to connect to the master, or loop the same connection to the slave, or have a seperated ESP32 board connected to each? 

Thank you for the great content and for sharing and making it availible! 

6 hours ago, Bushbaby said:

Great video, thank you! 

Do I understand correctly that this can communicate on the rs485 port while the Sunsynk dongle is still connected and have both working simultaneously? 

Having 2 x 5kW Sunsynk inverters installed in parallel as a master and a slave, do you only need to connect to the master, or loop the same connection to the slave, or have a seperated ESP32 board connected to each? 

Thank you for the great content and for sharing and making it availible! 

Hi @Bushbaby

That is correct, you can run both the Sunsynk dongle and the ESP32 at the same time. 

You will need a separate ESP for your master and slave. 

I am not sure how the code will be different on the master vs slave and would need to do some more investigation.  

1 hour ago, Sc00bs said:

Thanks @Yuri, that makes a lot of sense. 

I am assuming that you can then run it all from one ESP32, is that correct? 

I just got a second 8KW inverter and will install it next week and test everything. 

Yes, I think it will work with 1x ESP32

Edited by Yuri

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That's awesome @Yuri , will update my repo and try send it back to Slipx 🙂 

The other thing which you can do is create sensors using the value of sensors over time to calculate them . 

So things like, kw/hr per day per MPPT controller for example, which isn't info you can poll from the inverter. 

You need to have the timer enabled so that the counters reset at 00:00 every night. 

Just now, lenox said:

Hi All

The code is not reading my slave is there anything you need in order to be able to help?

Using two 5kw Sunsynk Inverters

Thank you

What modbus address is your slave set to? 

1 hour ago, lenox said:

Hi All

The code is not reading my slave is there anything you need in order to be able to help?

Using two 5kw Sunsynk Inverters

Thank you

Have you made a daisy chain link from the master to the slave rs485 ports?

28 minutes ago, Yuri said:

Have you made a daisy chain link from the master to the slave rs485 ports?

Hi

They are linked with parallel cable should I also link them with the RS port aswell.

Thank you

1 hour ago, lenox said:

Hi

They are linked with parallel cable should I also link them with the RS port aswell.

Thank you

If you plug the ESP32 into the Slave inverter do you get the Slave readings in Home Assistant?