Axpert MKS II firmware upgrade

3 minutes ago, Tubby said:

Do I understand correct if I say those two units can be paralleled without changing firmware?

I don't know for certain about 71.70, but 71.71 for Axpert MKS II uses the same paralleling constant (118) as 71.80 for Axpert MKS II.

In other words, it should work just fine. There is a small chance that they won't parallel correctly, but if so, you'll notice weird behaviour like one machine changing between SL (for SLave) and NE (for NEw). You can discover this before you connect the outputs together (using your AC-out breaker/isolators that you should have installed), so the chances of anything bad happening are extremely low.

Usually I would recommend updating the older machine to the newer firmware, and the firmware update file is available in this case, but since you're not confident of re-flashing, just go ahead and try it (with outputs not paralleled initially, of course).

On 2020/07/20 at 2:53 PM, Coulomb said:

I don't know for certain about 71.70, but 71.71 for Axpert MKS II uses the same paralleling constant (118) as 71.80 for Axpert MKS II.

In other words, it should work just fine. There is a small chance that they won't parallel correctly, but if so, you'll notice weird behaviour like one machine changing between SL (for SLave) and NE (for NEw). You can discover this before you connect the outputs together (using your AC-out breaker/isolators that you should have installed), so the chances of anything bad happening are extremely low.

Usually I would recommend updating the older machine to the newer firmware, and the firmware update file is available in this case, but since you're not confident of re-flashing, just go ahead and try it (with outputs not paralleled initially, of course).

I'm running 2 units in parallel which have 71.50 firmware and everything works perfectly

• 3 weeks later...
On 2020/07/20 at 1:24 PM, Riff-Raf said:

After my initial upgrade issue and Mustek generously replacing the control board under warranty, I frankly don't have the guts to do any upgrades. Also changed to Lithium batteries, so the inverter works perfectly with the original firmware.

Would be good to know if there is a new firmware though.

After reading this post, I have decided to leave my inverter firmware alone. No idea what version it is on as I am only installing it next week. Its the Kodak variant of the MKsII and I figured whatever is on there, shall stay as is. 

Glad you came right in the end though!

On 2020/08/07 at 3:00 PM, Tubby said:

Thanks Riff-Raf, I have paralleled the 71.70 and 71.80 and it seems to be running fine. Only problem I now see, is ICC not reading any PV watts.

You are braver than me... I would think that the units need to have the same firmware version when using in parallel. As some of the settings carry through to both units when paralleled, irrespective which unit the setting is applied, it would be logical to have both units' firmware the same. There may be some reporting protocol difference between firmware versions, hence your PV data reporting issue.

Unfortunately, I'm no Axpert at the data protocol level 😏

I checked the two outputs separately before joining them together as Coulomb suggested and it looked like it would parallel.

At this time I only have PV connected to one inverter, the 71.80 which is the master. This morning I made 71.70 the master and now it reads PV. If I had the guts to flash my firmware, I would most definitely make both inverters the same. Problem is, I have no idea where to start or what to do. I tried contacting Mustek to see if they are willing to help, but I just can't get hold of anybody other than the switchboard.

I just upgraded my MKS II (yes the 450V MPPT) to 71.82.  I wouldn't upgrade unless you have an issue.  If you do have an issue, the supplier/installer should give you the latest firmware and provide support if something goes wrong.  In my case my installer came to my house and did the upgrade with me.  It's not that it's hard to do, but if something goes wrong it should be fixed as part of warranty.  That is just my opinion and perhaps not industry tendency.