BYD 10kWh Lithium 48V Quote

Jack007

Good Day Guys,

Lasy month while i was out to do a bit of shopping in the major city/town close to me i went into one of the electrical wholesale suppliers and receive a quote for a complete 10kWh BYD Lithium 48V Battery Bank with BMS for R44800 excl Vat.

Im curious on what the current most affordable Lithium banks are as i bought my SolarMD blue CALB battery bank last year and they were one of the cheapest i could find.

58 minutes ago, Jack007 said:

10kWh BYD Lithium 48V Battery Bank with BMS for R44800 excl Vat.

That seems exceptionally good! The yardstick battery around here (Pylontech 2.5kwh) is around 13k each, ex VAT, which gets you to 52k for 10kwh.

I also seem to recall that BlueNova and FreedomWon sell around the mid 30s for half that capacity... but my prices might be stale.

On 2018/11/30 at 11:07 AM, Jack007 said:

Good Day Guys,

Lasy month while i was out to do a bit of shopping in the major city/town close to me i went into one of the electrical wholesale suppliers and receive a quote for a complete 10kWh BYD Lithium 48V Battery Bank with BMS for R44800 excl Vat.

Im curious on what the current most affordable Lithium banks are as i bought my SolarMD blue CALB battery bank last year and they were one of the cheapest i could find.

How do these guys justify their prices

image.png.bf1d14757fb82f2d622a3c026f43997c.png

29 minutes ago, Antony said:

How do these guys justify their prices

That probably was the price until recently, in other words, old stock? The price used to be 10k for 1kwh of storage, it slowly pushed down to around 8.5k, then came pylontech and suddenly it was around R6500, which inched down below R6k... and now this? Or perhaps BYD is just pushing into the market with a bit of a splash?

These are the bidorbuy type souls who hope to catch suckers. They look for items at amazon (example) and add a moerse markup.

I deal with professional resellers only.

A good saying is: 

“long after you’ve forgotten the price of a transaction you still remember the aches and pains...”

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I may be able to shed some light on this...

On 2019/01/11 at 12:05 PM, KhanAfriplusBYD said:

Please note there are counterfeit BYD products on the market and BYD or Afriplus energy will not hold accountable for misleading information and warranty.

These are BYD 2nd Life batteries, not counterfeits.

On 2018/12/01 at 7:18 PM, Jack007 said:

Yes it was Heroldts in George. They are apparently the current importer and say that they cant keep up with the demand.

Herholds are not the importers, they are a distributor. The batteries are imported by Revov, who are official agents of these batteries in South Africa (I think they may hold distribution rights for the continent). They are currently only on their 3rd or 4th container and have been supplying to order, so supply & demand is delicate right now. They expect to be in a stock-holding position by the end of Q1-2019.

BYD do not want these batteries marketed up der the BYD brand. I assume this is through fear of canabalising their B-Box product line. Herholds have subsequently revised their online description to replace the name BYD with REVOV. Oddly, BYD are still shipping the batteries in BYD-branded boxes.

I have done some testing on an early “pre-commercial” 7.6kWh bank, with impressive results. Whilst Pylon was previously our LiFePO4 of choice, we now offer the Revov pretty much as standard, except where smaller (<10kWh) batteries are required. Our Revov sales have now overtaken my Pylon sales.

Revov had an issue with a shipment of batteries, where the BYD BMSs were unavailable. They supplied SolarMD BMSs with these batteries, which was very problematic, due to lack of documentation, and some design / specification issues. Revov stepped up and are resolving this.

I run a 10.2kWh Revov battery in my own system, with a self-consumption optimized setup. I cycle my battery fully (100%-0%-100%) on a daily basis, weather and load permitting. I am currently using the SolarMD BMS, but I will probably end up replacing it with the BYD unit.

On 2018/12/20 at 11:00 AM, Cor said:

Does anybody have more info on these batteries, like cycles, guarantee, etc. The site where they are advertised doesn't give a lot of info.

BYD warrants the batteries for 5 years. Revov are self-warranting the batteries for a further 5 years, for a total 10-year / 3000 cycle warranty.

Tests performed by a (IIRC) Shenzhen university yield a little over 80% remaining capacity after 3000 cycles, with C0.33 charge and C0.50 discharge rates. This improves dramatically at lower charge and discharge rates which are typical in a self-consumption application.

GreenHouse Energy Consulting assists Revov with local testing and some technical support. They are currently expanding the inverter application list to cater for inverters without Canbus comms, in a similar fashion to that adopted by Pylon.

In summary, the Revov battery is our first taste of the deployment of 2nd Life lithium batteries into the South African stationary storage market. The value proposition is exceptional, and I for one am well impressed and excited at the prospects.

D9A8E377-B700-408D-BDE3-81928B220BB2.jpeg

Revov continued ...

Batteries come in 25.6V blocks (per original EV bus format). Once removed from service they are evaluated and re-rated according to their remaining storage capacity. They are then sorted into capacity batches ranging from 150Ah to 200Ah+. Revov brings in the 200Ah version. The primary application is ~48V nom, so a battery is typically bundled as 2 blocks with a 51.2V BMS, for a total of 10.24kWh of storage. 100% DoD is usable. Multiple batteries can be paralleled. Revov will be bringing in some 25.6V BMSs as there appears to be some appetite in the ~24V nom market.

7C22E70C-1D43-4E9D-BC25-2720BB5CA78A.jpeg

87794A0A-266C-4F67-93F8-0EB76962B5BC.jpeg

3 hours ago, Power Punk said:

BYD warrants the batteries for 5 years. Revov are self-warranting the batteries for a further 5 years, for a total 10-year / 3000 cycle warranty.

Hi Power Punk

BYD does not warrant any of those batteries and there is Statement issued by BYD, I do recommend you check with your supplier. good luck!

@Power Punk

The warranty is what? and what's the history of it being honored?

I didn't get a hit on the first page of google for this Revov crowd, what's their reputation?

No mention of the refurbished state by the distributor, when first listed.

The solar industry is full of fly-by-nights.

The Chinese are publicly disassociating themselves from the  used product.

That says something.

I am unconvinced.

4 hours ago, phil.g00 said:

what's the history of it being honored?

As this is a "new kid on the block", there is very little history to speak of.  What I can say is that I had issues with 2 batteries, both of which were immediately replaced without question. I have had feedback that the one was tested and the problem traced to a bad BMS, the second is yet to be analysed.

I didn't get a hit on the first page of google for this Revov crowd, what's their reputation?

They don't have a reputation - they're a startup.

No mention of the refurbished state by the distributor, when first listed.

The word "@nd Life" appears in their logo and on the home page menu bar.  The phrase "2nd Life energy storage products" is emblazoned across the middle of the home screen page??

The word "refurbished" has no place here.  Please familiarise yourself with the plentiful information available on second life lithium batteries - you will find this is not some fledgling flea-market industry, but rather the beginnings of a market which is set to revolutionise stationary energy storage.

https://thinkprogress.org/how-used-electric-car-batteries-will-turbocharge-the-renewables-revolution-4baf33d4b15f/?fbclid=IwAR1qep145TMcyxmPZUsJUB7g8I7X_-VghJGI5_iWNSllIecanJMjkWPksds

https://thinkprogress.org/how-used-electric-car-batteries-will-turbocharge-the-renewables-revolution-4baf33d4b15f/?fbclid=IwAR1qep145TMcyxmPZUsJUB7g8I7X_-VghJGI5_iWNSllIecanJMjkWPksds

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/07/04/business/retired-electric-vehicle-batteries-find-second-life-chilling-beer-grilling-sausages/?fbclid=IwAR3atFLQxSjvP26ohj7iLwro0JcLuQDhoDP1FBtlkk7KMjhKWBleFRkam3A#.W-_uGGmxWyU

The solar industry is full of fly-by-nights.

Absolutely agree. Caveat emptor - do your homework 😎

Can you provide examples of this?

3 minutes ago, Power Punk said:

The word "@nd Life" appears in their logo and on the home page menu bar.  The phrase "2nd Life energy storage products" is emblazoned across the middle of the home screen page??

The distributor in this case is *****, and they do not make any mention of "2nd life" anywhere. besides that... "2nd life" could have so many meanings.

Now i understand that Revov has no control over what their clients say when selling it, but it would make sense that if they are trying to build a reputation they would ensure that the re-sellers at least adhere to some form of openness.

I was in a state after i placed my order and heard that the item was not brand new. Dishing out over R50k is a stretch for most of us and hearing that it is a "2nd life" item makes one lose complete trust in the industry.

Labeling a product as "used" or "refurbished" or "2nd hand" would make a lot more sense.

To me it seems as though revov is covering their rear ends by making sure there is some reference that it might not be new, yet they hope people will assume it is brand new and think it is just a good price.

5 minutes ago, stoic said:

4x Pylontech 2.4kw @ 15k each = 60k ..... only 8.5k more than the byd ... but has 6000 cycles at 80% DOD.

The Pylontech really seems to be great stuff - we've installed a bunch and haven't had a single issue.  The warranty is excellent as well.  Just be careful to compare apples with apples.  It makes sense to compare WARRANTED cost per kWh, or EXPECTED life:

Pylons are warranted for 10 years (7 plus an additional 3 on registration) for a single daily cycle, i.e. 3650 cycles, to a minimum remaining capacity of 70%.

I can't recall the warranty and cost details of BYD B-Box batteries, but Pylons appear to have the stronger value proposition in terms of cost per warranted kWh of storage.

Revov 2nd Life is warranted for 10 years or 3500 cycles, I believe this is also to 70% remaining capacity but need to confirm.

As far as design life is concerned, Pylon claims:

>10 year design life, >4500 cycles

2 minutes ago, stoic said:

The distributor in this case is *****, and they do not make any mention of "2nd life" anywhere.

Oops, sorry, I didn't realise you were referring to the distributor and not the importer. My bad.

You make a valid point that ALL parties (importers, distributors & resellers) have a responsibility to be fully and absolutely transparent in their dealings.

22 minutes ago, Power Punk said:
5 hours ago, phil.g00 said:

Can you provide examples of this?

Yes, @KhanAfriplusBYD said:

On 2019/01/15 at 8:17 PM, KhanAfriplusBYD said:

BYD does not warrant any of those batteries and there is Statement issued by BYD

And you confirmed it:

12 hours ago, Power Punk said:

Hi Khan

You are correct, I have confirmed that the batteries are fully warranted by the local supplier Revov and not by BYD.

Shouldn't I believe you?

Issuing a statement isn't a chat in the hallway either, I shouldn't referred to BYD as the Chinese, you're right, that could be mis-interpreted as a gazillion people.

So to clarify, I should have said BYD, the Chinese company.

I must admit, if this had been transparent from the outset, I would have no issue with it. 

The first time I heard of these batteries though, there was no mention of a 2nd life, I can confirm Stoic sentiments and his facts.

I suppose that isn't the importer's fault, but that specific distributor's offering certainly wasn't above board.