Newbie advice needed on Inverter and Batteries

Master K

Hi Folks,

I am new here and would love to get some expert advice. I have shortlisted two providers for a Solar Grid Tie solution but they both have different equipment that they use but the pricing is very similar.

I am going to have 12 x 300kw panels with a 4 kw Lithium Ion battery.

There are two options for the inverters :

1) Goodwe ES 4.6kW Hybrid Inverter (4.6KW Backup)

2) Victron EasySolar 5KVA

- Could you provide me with your advise on which is the best option.

In terms of batteries :

1)LiFEP04 2.4 KW Battery
2) Blue Nova 2.4 KW Battery

- Please can I get advice in terms of quality and reliability on both of these options.

The three inverters you listed are all good. SMA and Victron is a step up from the Goodwe in my opinion.

33 minutes ago, Master K said:
1)LiFEP04 2.4 KW Battery 
2) Blue Nova 2.4 KW Battery 

The bluenova battery IS a LiFePo4 battery, so I am not sure what you're asking here. Your choice is now between BYD, Pylontech, Blue Nova and FreedomWon. There isn't really anything (other than price) that would make me prefer one over the other.

Hi plonkster, apologies it’s Pylontech vs BlueNova.

There is not a huge gap looking at the inverter pricing,  Victron is about R5k more expensive than the Goodwe. SMA is similar to the Victron in price.

I did read that it’s possible to get a 10 year warranty on SMA though.

15 hours ago, Master K said:

Hi plonkster, apologies it’s Pylontech vs BlueNova.

Both these manufacturers have a few tricks up their sleeves when it comes to their advertising.

Industry standard (if there is such a thing is):

1. Battery is deemed EOL (end of life) when it has irreversibly lost 20% of its original capacity.

2. Capacity is determined at 1C (how much power can I get out of it when I discharge it full to empty in one hour).

Pylontech rates EOL (end of life) at 60% instead of 80%, and uses C/2 as discharge rate. That's how they get the 6000 cycles.

I don't know what BlueNova uses as EOL, but they use C/10 (!) to determine capacity.

In other words, 2.5kwh of Pylontech is slightly more than 2.5kwh of Blue Nova. If the price is the same, the Pylontech technically wins :-)

How much difference between C/2 and C/10? I don't know (yet), exercise for the reader. Probably not a huge amount.