Splitting DB into Essential and Non-Essential sections to allow for reduced size inverter.

Gerrie

DB's had to be rewired and split into essential and non-essential sections. This were done to allow for a smaller inverter system 24Kw 3ph. that will feed essentials loads only. The photos are of main DB board; work still in progress. Plant is running and temporary power had to be supplied while changing Main DB that,s why wires are hanging everywhere. Will post as project progress and inverter goes up.20231210_104621.thumb.jpg.793c74aad8998222f24abdda18bbc5ee.jpg20240121_170438.thumb.jpg.f3f9319d5151e75dd08d0cf038c28ffa.jpg20240121_172213.thumb.jpg.86c67e6266cbc02503280cd6e6cb5f7a.jpg20231130_100138.thumb.jpg.99d764c4d73cf2d0b7db02a2b5bddf1b.jpg

10 hours ago, TheMac said:

Put on those cover plates and nobody will know how much work went into those DBs. 😄

That's so true, most of the work had to be done after hours. Had to install a temporary DB. (white right-hand side) to keep all the loads happy while building the puzzle. The big problem was the grey DB where the mains 95mmx4 incomer from council had to be switched off in order to remove that grey DB and install the new White DB on that same spot. Once the council mains is switched off the clock starts ticking and things had to happen fast to keep people happy 😅. When council is switched back on and there is no big bangs, you know you going to sleep ok tonight.😅

• 2 months later...

20240406_092028.thumb.jpg.d285155293395f8f9fbc7dc127d669e2.jpgStarted installing the inverters. Installing 6 x 8KW Sunsynk inverters and 12 x 7.4KW BSL lithium batteries. Still lots of wiring and hope things go smooth. We decided to go 48KW instead of 24KW to allow for more load on backup. I will post more photos with progress.

42 minutes ago, Sc00bs said:

Hi @Gerrie

Looks like a nice installation, if you don't mind me asking, why did you decide to go with the 8kw inverters, wouldn't it have been easier & cheaper to use a 50kw? 

One problem with that is if the inverter fails you are stuck with no back up power and perhaps for 6 weeks while inverter is being fixed if it is a Sunsynk. 

Currently you can get along with just the reduction of 1x8kW if one would fail. 

Yes a single would be far cheaper and less work to implement. 

52 minutes ago, Sc00bs said:

why did you decide to go with the 8kw inverters, wouldn't it have been easier & cheaper to use a 50kw? 

Yes to install a 50KW would be easier but my customer already had 8KW units in stock and they did not want to purchase the 50KW unit. I must admit I also like the challenge of the 6 x units.

15 minutes ago, Scorp007 said:

One problem with that is if the inverter fails you are stuck with no back up power and perhaps for 6 weeks while inverter is being fixed if it is a Sunsynk. 

Fortunately they have spare units for back-up, so that should not be a problem while one is out for repairs.

• 3 weeks later...

The inverters have been powered up and a few load tests done. The three phase seem to work well. The setting up of master, slave, dip switches, CT coils and phase rotation can play games with you but once right it seem to work pretty well. I have no solar pv connected yet, will start conecting the strings soon, just waiting for some roof work to be completed. I'm excited to see the pv side when connected.

20240430_133455.jpg

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Gerrie said:

The inverters have been powered up and a few load tests done. The three phase seem to work well. The setting up of master, slave, dip switches, CT coils and phase rotation can play games with you but once right it seem to work pretty well. I have no solar pv connected yet, will start conecting the strings soon, just waiting for some roof work to be completed. I'm excited to see the pv side when connected.

20240430_133455.jpg

Nicely done Gerrie 60kwh battery capacity? Are they planning to add more batt capacity in the future. What is the planned solar array?

Edited by TaliaB

22 minutes ago, TaliaB said:

Nicely done Gerrie 60kwh battery capacity? Are they planning to add more batt capacity in the future. What is the planned solar array?

Thanks the batteries are 12 x 130AH totalling to 74.8KW. At this point I don't think more batteries is necessarly because the plant essentials draw a total of about 6500W on all phases and also has a 100KW generator that can take over when batteries drop. The solar is over specked with  about 12KW per inverter but we might go up to 16KW to make up for bad weather. (550W longi panels)

1 hour ago, Gerrie said:

At this point I don't think more batteries is necessarly because the plant essentials draw a total of about 6500W on all phases

Sorry just trying to understand the load from each inverter is the essential load 6.5kw/phase or 2.2kw/phase?

• 1 month later...

The system has been running just as battery back-up for a few weeks now and we had a few actual Eskom outages for couple of days where the generator setup was put to the test and had to charge batteries when SOC level dropped. I did have a inverter trip of the system in the begining when the charging current was set at full capacity of about 48KW charging for all 6 x inverters plus the rest of the non-essential plant was also pulling another 50KW from generator maxing out at 100KW capacity. The gen frequency was dropping to about 48.5Hz causing the trip, so I played around with charge settings and set inverter charging down to about 24KW where the plant and generator has been happy since. We started installing solar panels and about 60 x panels connected so far and pushing power to inverters so the generator should only kick-in, in real bad solar conditions. I am impressed with the simplicity and the functionality of the Sunsynk inverters and it has been working like a dream sofar.

20240607_130624.jpg