New to solar/inverter hobby

Hi guys. I previously had a 2kw Peak power inverter running on 4 6v 210ah Dixon Lead Acid Batteries. Lightning struck and poof... my little load shedding system was gone. So, building up a new system with Axpert 5kw inverter (Synerji branded) and in the market for some batteries. I had a look at the Lithium batteries and have a few questions. 

1. There are quite a few cheaper versions like Leoch. Is it worth buying or should one stay away.....,

2. Can one parralel two or more on the inverter? Is there any additional hardware needed?

3. Does temperature affect them a lot? Installing in my Garage and might get a bit hot in there..... 

After the batteries I will look at panels.

Thank you

Previous batteries was Dixon EV 6105 which is actually golfcart batteries, but worked well for load shedding and power failures. Would th Trojan batteries be a better option? 

The system will be for load shedding for now and in Feb I should start off with 6 320w pv panels. 

I won’t go off grid. Just want all the essentials on the inverter eg. TV/home theatre, fridges and lights. Maybe my fancy inverter pool pump at a later stage.....

11 minutes ago, Lionheart said:

Thank you. I spoke to Prince this morning. Seems they do not import the Lithium batteries yet. After reading a couple of threads, I am tempted to go back to the lead acid type....seems the Lithiums are quite complicated with mixed reviews.

The tried and tested brands like Pylontech and BlueNova work very well with the Axpert inverters

Jip copy of an Axpert. If you have to use a Synerji then an independent SCC like a Victron or EP Solar. A big Steca would cost as much as an Axpert. Are you committed to a Synerji? I just think it is not a very good piece of kit for a little more money you can get an Axpert which is not the world's best inverter but has many fans including myself.

O K. So we’ve established that the inverter is going back and most probably be exchanged for some panels. 

Now for the other questions in the post. If I am only going to power the essentials, is it worth going the Lithium route or should we stick to the tried and tested Lead type/gel/AGM batteries?

Has anyone used the Leoch batteries?

10 hours ago, Lionheart said:

O K. So we’ve established that the inverter is going back and most probably be exchanged for some panels. 

Now for the other questions in the post. If I am only going to power the essentials, is it worth going the Lithium route or should we stick to the tried and tested Lead type/gel/AGM batteries?

Has anyone used the Leoch batteries?

If you can afford it, it would be worth it going the Lithium route, but use a tried-and-tested battery like Pylontech, BlueNova, FreedomWon, etc. In the long run they work out cheaper, per Kw than lead acid batteries do. And they don't give off gas, don't explode as easily as lead acids do, etc.

BUT, if you need it to work HARD, be careful. LiFePO4 batteries can only discharge at a limited rate, like 25A or 50A, etc, depending on which you can get. A Lead Acid, of the same capacity can often discharge at 4-5x or sometimes more than LiFePO4 can. As an example, I have a client who runs their IR 6KW inverter at 120%, which is about 7.2Kw. At that rate the batteries discharge at about 150A! Right now they have cheap lead acids (their choice, have been warned a couple times) since LiFePO4 would be far too expensive for them.

At this rate, a battery bank made-up of 2V Lead Acid cells would handle the load much better.

In your case, LiFePO4 will probably be more expensive than you want to spend on batteries, but they will outlast the lead acids by a number of years. Pylontech, for example will last you 20+ years.

Thank you all for the advice. 

So here goes. Synerji to be returned, Axpert to be sourced as soon as all the guys are open, starting off with 6 Canadian Solar 320w pv panels. 

Not sure of the batteries yet. 

This is purely to run essentials day to day and to make sure that we have a plan B if Eskom decides to Load shed us twice or more per day.