Jump to content

Very unknowledgeable


Stew

Recommended Posts

First of all I need to say I am a pensioner basically living from hand to mouth.

Say I only want a decent hybrid inverter with no solar panels to be recharged from the grid. I have two fridges a large chest freezer, a microwave and kettle connected to plugs. I have a TV and a MiBox and Open View Decoder,  a computer with Wi-Fi and Fibre Modems and Six Backup Drives which are only in operation when being accessed. I also have a Fishpond Pump that is Echo Friendly and runs at .45 KW normally but runs at .75 KW for ten minutes after start up. I would ideally like the two fridges, chest freezer and Fishpond Pump to be isolated and only run on grid power.

1:- Can the Inverter be wired in to only power the plugs and lights but not the Stove, Hob and Geyser?

2:- What size Hybrid inverter would I be looking at to power my home for four hours of Load Shedding with enough Reserve Capacity not to deplete the battery / batteries completely?

I would love some feedback and suggestions as to the practicality of my thinking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Stew said:

First of all I need to say I am a pensioner basically living from hand to mouth.

Where abouts do you live? In case somebody wants to refer you to a local business.

RE your financial situation. The cheap way to get going here is some kind of lead/acid batteries. But with all the loadshedding we have, those are going to take a pounding and may not last long. Lithiums will cost you significantly more to get going, but they will last a lot longer, can be discharged to a greater depth, more regularly, and will be a better long term proposition.

15 minutes ago, Stew said:

Say I only want a decent hybrid inverter with no solar panels to be recharged from the grid. I have two fridges a large chest freezer, a microwave and kettle connected to plugs. I have a TV and a MiBox and Open View Decoder,  a computer with Wi-Fi and Fibre Modems and Six Backup Drives which are only in operation when being accessed. I also have a Fishpond Pump that is Echo Friendly and runs at .45 KW normally but runs at .75 KW for ten minutes after start up. I would ideally like the two fridges, chest freezer and Fishpond Pump to be isolated and only run on grid power.

1:- Can the Inverter be wired in to only power the plugs and lights but not the Stove, Hob and Geyser?

Yes. You can get an electrician to do that. It means changes to the DB thus a new COC will be required.

15 minutes ago, Stew said:

2:- What size Hybrid inverter would I be looking at to power my home for four hours of Load Shedding with enough Reserve Capacity not to deplete the battery / batteries completely?

I would love some feedback and suggestions as to the practicality of my thinking.

You've made a good start. Two pieces of information are required to get started, and I think you have or are close to the first
1) Consumption per hour
2) Peak momentary consumption across the backed up circuits. Thinking of your fridges and freezer, they are likely to draw more very briefly when the motor starts, then settle down. But it only needs a momentary overload to trip an inverter.

 

Edited by Bobster.
Sppeling
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Lee2 said:

If money is tight get a trolley inverter and run a few extension cords

Don't consider anything other than lithium as my sole experience in gel batteries resulted in a total write off after 90 days

Thanks, I definitely would be looking at lithium as my only option, I have a UPS by my computer and the gel batteries just don't last.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...