Jump to content
Thank you for the great forum, Safe Driving over the weekend. Sincerely Jason

Recommended Posts

Hello to all,

I'm new to the forum.

I do have my own residential solar/ backup system working and would like to share some knowledge to the community. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, vandyh said:

Hello to all,

I'm new to the forum.

I do have my own residential solar/ backup system working and would like to share some knowledge to the community. 

Welcome and please share.

I'm in your "valley" so it would be nice to hear your experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My system as follows:

  1. VE Multiplus 3kVA, 48V INV/CHR with venus GX
  2. Fronius Primo 3kVA GTI connected on AC-out of Multiplus - controlled via frequency shifting to have PV power in the event of mains failure
  3. 2 PV string, totalling 3,570kWp that can generate up to 22kWh on a good day.
  4. 48V 100Ah DIY Li-ion battery system with recycled 18650 cells - still testing them out
  5. Batrium BMS connected to Venus GX via CAN-bus - still some issues to sort out here
  • My system is not 100% working and I need some help here and there as there.
  • A few photos of my setup below    

IMG_20181118_215435.jpg

IMG_20181227_232615.jpg

IMG_20181227_232627.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, vandyh said:

48V 100Ah DIY Li-ion battery system with recycled 18650 cells - still testing them out

Now that is exciting! I've watched youtube videos on this topic, but seems way too much effort for someone that know too little about it, and no source to buy from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, seant said:

Very nice . 100Ah is that enough to get you through the night? What did your cells capacity average out at? Looks about a 100s packs

I've charged them up and discharged one at a time measuring the mAh of each.

I've then packed 60 of them in parallel adding the mAh to have 100Ah

Edited by vandyh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Javi Martínez said:

Did you label all cells with their capacity? Good Job!

Yes I did. testing them took me almost 3 months...

So I've made my own Arduino tester than can measure 4 at a time and I bought a few 4-bay charge/dischargers to speed up the process.

Old cells has to be tested before using it in a pack. I had a few that charged up to 4.2V fine and then discharged to 3V with <20mAh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, vandyh said:

Yes I did. testing them took me almost 3 months...

So I've made my own Arduino tester than can measure 4 at a time and I bought a few 4-bay charge/dischargers to speed up the process.

Old cells has to be tested before using it in a pack. I had a few that charged up to 4.2V fine and then discharged to 3V with <20mAh

Great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

100Ah from a 60p pack is ok but if the batteries started out as 2800mAh they have lost a lot of capacity , not too sure I would have put them into service . See how they go , you can monitor them nicely with the Batrium. Maybe get processing at least another pack 60.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, seant said:

100Ah from a 60p pack is ok but if the batteries started out as 2800mAh they have lost a lot of capacity , not too sure I would have put them into service . See how they go , you can monitor them nicely with the Batrium. Maybe get processing at least another pack 60.

Sean, yes they lost some capacity, as I've used tester cells from 1400mAh - 2600mAh in the packs. fully charged they should hold 5.5kWh

The Batrium works wonders (just expensive for us here in SA).

I'm getting things ready to make another set of packs, but +10kWh this time with better cells...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Topics

Contact Us - Power Forum South Africa

×
×
  • Create New...