Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi guys, Am John. Thanks for accepting me in this wonderful forum...

I would like to setup a power backup system. My use is usually around an average of 900W of essential equipment picking to around 1300w. In my country (Kenya) we get outages lasting around eight hours usually twice in a week. It is usually during the day but at times it extends into the night.

I would like to set up a battery bank of 48v at 200ah of agm (sort of lazy to maintain flooded battery). The battery bank can be expanded later.

I would like to charge the battery bank with solar with 6 panels of 300w and need a hybrid inverter to manage all this. Am considering Victron Easysolar 48/3000va, or Goodwe hybrid inverter. I have a buddy in SA you can purchase the equipments for me as they are either not available here or ridiculously expensive. Your guidance and advice will be very much appreciated 

 

Edited by Aizen79
Misspell
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree with Javi. I had this in my box of tricks. Connect the battery to the charger for a few seconds, remove and connect the cables. No more sparks of doom.

He did ask about the King model, which is online all the time 🙂 I know there is that whole thing about not judging the man by the clothes, but in general, when I buy a Ryobi it is because I know

Sorry OP for the derail. But I need to ask this, are there any new SmartSolar MPPT's on the horizon? more specifically a 500V model? If Victron would make a 500/100 it would save us all a bu

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, Aizen79 said:

. Am considering Victron Easysolar 48/3000va, or Goodwe hybrid inverter.

Both good inverters. You can't go wrong with the EasySolar. Two other forum members have bought that unit and are quite happy with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Aizen79 said:

Victron Easysolar 48/3000va, or Goodwe hybrid inverter

Welcome John.

My 2 cents.

I was recently asked what I thought about Goodwe, by a family member being an electrical engineer. All his friends are buying Goodwe.

Told him nothing wrong with Goodwe, it is a very good choice, but before he spends anything, go and check out Victron's ESS software.

He chose Victron because of ESS functionality - and the fact that 3000va inverter covers a huge chunk of ones daily usage - and it is a hybrid.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ess:start

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ess:design-installation-manual

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, plonkster said:

Both good inverters. You can't go wrong with the EasySolar. Two other forum members have bought that unit and are quite happy with it.

thank you so much for the quick response...

What is your opinion on getting the Multiplus 2 and then adding the smartsolar and colour control gx vs getting the easysolar?

I find the new multiplus look very nice...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

Welcome John.

My 2 cents.

I was recently asked what I thought about Goodwe, by a family member being an electrical engineer. All his friends are buying Goodwe.

Told him nothing wrong with Goodwe, it is a very good choice, but before he spends anything, go and check out Victron's ESS software.

He chose Victron because of ESS functionality - and the fact that 3000va inverter covers a huge chunk of ones daily usage - and it is a hybrid.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ess:start

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ess:design-installation-manual

the Victron ESS is definately a win for the victron.....looking at the prices, the Goodwe has a slight edge...but am really leaning on the Victron's side esp the remote management features and the ease of use of ccgx

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Aizen79 said:

What is your opinion on getting the Multiplus 2 and then adding the smartsolar and colour control gx vs getting the easysolar?

Multiplus II with 150/35 MPPT and a VenusGX and all the cables are about R25k if you shop right.

I don't know what the Easysolar is, but it could be similar pricing.

Why I prefer the Multiplus II route is the separate parts ... same parts in both yes ... just prefer separate parts.

Edited by Guest
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

Multiplus II with 150/35 MPPT and a VenusGX and all the cables are about R25k if you shop right.

I don't know whjat the Easysolar is, but it could be similar pricing.

Why I prefer the Multiplus II route is the separate parts ... same parts in both yes ... just prefer separate parts.

thanks for answering promptly

the easysolar is basically an inverter/scc in one package

https://www.victronenergy.com/inverter-charger-mppt/easysolar

the cost you have given me is actually within my budget for the inverter(R30k)...since am getting 1800w of panels...i thought i need 150/45 mppt

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Aizen79 said:

i thought i need 150/45 mppt

That is maybe R1.2k more ... 

I see the Easysolar 48/3000/35 comes with a 150/70 MPPT - makes them about R 28k.

Then again, the separate parts I like. CCGX is 100%, the VenusGX having more functionality I think. Plonkster the best to say more on the subject.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

I don't know what the Easysolar is, but it could be similar pricing.

Typo my side ... I know the Easysolar, I did not know the PRICE at the time ... now I do. :-) 

Separate parts may be a few rand more ito cabling etc. nothing major though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

Typo my side ... I know the Easysolar, I did not know the PRICE at the time ... now I do. :-) 

Separate parts may be a few rand more ito cabling etc. nothing major though.

apart from the extra cost in cabling, functionality is the same as dictated by ccgx?

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Aizen79 said:

What is your opinion on getting the Multiplus 2 and then adding the smartsolar and colour control gx vs getting the easysolar?

MP-II has much lower quiescent draw, which is definitely something to consider. Other than that... the difference is packaging. The easy-solar packs it into one easy to install package. Internally it is still separate products and on the VRM website it shows up as if it is separate too. So there is technically no difference. The Easysolar is often cheaper than the individual components.

2 minutes ago, Aizen79 said:

apart from the extra cost in cabling, functionality is the same as dictated by ccgx?

Same hardware. Even the upcoming newer easy-solars will run slightly different hardware but still the exact same firmware with identical capabilities.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Aizen79 said:

thanks Plonkster for the info...with your experience on Victron Gadgets, what would you go for with R30k for backup/ups in my scenario?

I'd go with a Multiplus-II, a Venus-GX, and an external charge controller. Off the top of my head in any case, the MP-II is around 12.5k, the Venus-GX is around 4k, and a 150/70 is around 7k. So that leaves you a good 6k change for other things. Pretty close to the price of the easysolar though (my price lists are a bit old though). Reasoning: The Venus-GX has a bit more fire-power than the CCGX and a few more goodies too (analog inputs, digital inputs, two relays, etc), and it is half the price. And the MP-II has much lower quiescent draw. So I have a SLIGHT preference for this setup on technical grounds... but the LCD in the CCGX is nice, that I won't deny.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, plonkster said:

I'd go with a Multiplus-II, a Venus-GX, and an external charge controller. Off the top of my head in any case, the MP-II is around 12.5k, the Venus-GX is around 4k, and a 150/70 is around 7k. So that leaves you a good 6k change for other things. Pretty close to the price of the easysolar though (my price lists are a bit old though). Reasoning: The Venus-GX has a bit more fire-power than the CCGX and a few more goodies too (analog inputs, digital inputs, two relays, etc), and it is half the price. And the MP-II has much lower quiescent draw. So I have a SLIGHT preference for this setup on technical grounds... but the LCD in the CCGX is nice, that I won't deny.

thanks. I will take this route....

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, plonkster said:

I'd go with a Multiplus-II, a Venus-GX, and an external charge controller. Off the top of my head in any case, the MP-II is around 12.5k, the Venus-GX is around 4k, and a 150/70 is around 7k. So that leaves you a good 6k change for other things. Pretty close to the price of the easysolar though (my price lists are a bit old though). Reasoning: The Venus-GX has a bit more fire-power than the CCGX and a few more goodies too (analog inputs, digital inputs, two relays, etc), and it is half the price. And the MP-II has much lower quiescent draw. So I have a SLIGHT preference for this setup on technical grounds... but the LCD in the CCGX is nice, that I won't deny.

kindly where can I get the MP -II at R12.5k so as I can send my buddy in SA

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Aizen79 said:

kindly where can I get the MP -II at R12.5k so as I can send my buddy in SA

Prices might have gone up a little, I am told almost all the local stock sold out in December, so you might be buying at a different price. Try Current Automation. Also look at the power forum store.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, plonkster said:

Prices might have gone up a little, ...  local stock ...

They have gone up and yes/no.

With VAT up and a Victron price increase late last year and the rand fluctuations, prices have gone up a wee bit.

Last I saw the prices you speak of, was when I bought.

Edited by Guest
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Aizen79 said:

hi guys...do I need a battery monitor(bmv) despite using a Multiplus?

As long as your chargers are all Victron (eg all MPPTs), you have a CCGX or a Venus-GX, and you have no DC loads, then you can get away without the BMV. The Venus device will communicate the current from the solar chargers to the Multi, and the Multi already has SOC-tracking built in. It's not perfect (ie less accurate than a BMV), but it is miles better than using voltage!

Also, If you also use one of the canbus LFP batteries (such as the Pylontech, BLueNova or Freedomwon modules), then the BMS typically does the same job as a BMV and you definitely don't need it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, plonkster said:

It's not perfect (ie less accurate than a BMV)

A Victron dealer I know always prefers to add a BMV700 to all non-lithium systems, it costs less than R2k for one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

A Victron dealer I know always prefers to add a BMV700 to all non-lithium systems, it costs less than R2k for one.

I actually agree. You can get away without it, but if the BMV costs less than 10% of the battery bank cost... just add a BMV and sleep easier!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Something else to add, is that the BMV is also a lot more flexible, in that you can set things like the charging efficiency, the peukert factor, and so forth. While the Multi can do these things too it is not as adjustable. I had a rather interesting case with a system up North that had a small battery that was kept on float (Keep Batteries Charged). The SOC was perpetually wrong, even though the voltage was stable at float the SOC was this straight line discharge curve. My theory is that somehow the charge efficiency was underestimated, which caused a gradually declining SOC that was entirely wrong.

Now a BMV... that would have reset on tail current :-)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...