Hi Guys! I believe this is the only power forum where I can get and find related information. Been reading a bit, so I'm sure there are lots of people in the know here!

I'm a mechanical engineer by profession, and have a started a side hobby with batteries and power packs. I've come across a whole lot of batteries, initially from my IT dept., and then from a recycler, id say about 2000 Li ion cells. now, I've got an OPUS tester and a multibay charger, and managed to get through about 100+ cells in the last month. so long road yet ahead.

still planning, battery pack design and build, and then moving on to energy supply , transformers, charge controllers, switches and shunts etc.

Would love advise and opinions and look forward to adding to the forum.

IMG_2231_1.jpg

IMG_2203_1.jpg

I don't miss stripping batteries. What are you going to use as cell holders for the packs? What size battery are you aiming at building? Be patient and let the cells sit once you've done testing and charging for at least 2 weeks then recheck the voltages to see they haven't dropped much more than 0.15v from 4.2v. But it's worth it at the end of the day.

Thanks! Will do. I’ve got inspiration from them, watched most of their videos. I’m leaving my options open for building packs, still contemplating either 12,24 or 48V packs. Holders, I got an order for the 4x5 holders on their way, so will test those, I also like the home made holders with pvc pipe from average joe on YouTube, may try that as well. I’m also contemplating what to use for individual fuses. I got a few 1amp thermal fuses, but want to try spot welding them first to the cells, don’t want to do soldering, unless I can’t do the spot welding.i plan to limit the cells to 4.1v full and 3v empty, with planned 0.5 amp limit draw from each. This should help with cell longevity.

ill think about bms and inverters etc at another time for now.

Edited by beserker786

I don't think you will be able to spot weld the fuses to the battery, a few folks have tried on YouTube without much luck. The thermal fuses you mention do they self reset , it could be problematic if you have faulty individual cells. I like the idea of 3D printing the holders not sure on the cost or time though

6 hours ago, seant said:

I don't think you will be able to spot weld the fuses to the battery, a few folks have tried on YouTube without much luck. The thermal fuses you mention do they self reset , it could be problematic if you have faulty individual cells. I like the idea of 3D printing the holders not sure on the cost or time though

3D printing is much cheaper than having a custom made product though it's time consuming.

This one, for example, will take 1.6 hours to 3D print: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2815470

was contemplating getting a 3d printer for the printers, also to have the flexibility of customizing the holders like to allow for recessed bus bars and fuses, voltmeters, etc. I decided to think about it later and see how far I get for now. Ill take some pictures and start a thread to capture my progress in another section of the forum. Thanks for the welcome and input.

On 2019/01/11 at 1:42 PM, beserker786 said:

was contemplating getting a 3d printer for the printers, also to have the flexibility of customizing the holders like to allow for recessed bus bars and fuses, voltmeters, etc. I decided to think about it later and see how far I get for now. Ill take some pictures and start a thread to capture my progress in another section of the forum. Thanks for the welcome and input.

Where do you stay? There are quite a few guys throughout S.A who offer 3D printing  outsource printing services. I can print these for you as well.