Axpert settings vir Pylontech 3.5 kw

kobus joubert

2 minutes ago, Janna said:

Do you foresee any Pylontech control related issue with two sets of long cables

Hard to say. The long cables may well cause lights to flicker more when loads come on and off. That could be just a mild nuisance, or a problem if you are prone to epilepsy.

The long cables also have inductance. I don't know how that plays with inverters, especially when the capacitors in them get a bit old and dry. It may make it more likely to see voltage spikes at the battery terminals of the inverters, which may translate into premature failure. But it may have no real effect.

Coulomb: You are getting way to technical for me. What I meant was, can I expect the Pylontech to trip on voltage unbalance or limit output as if only one set of long cables are connected or perhaps not behave as normal when handling load as far as SOC is concerned? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2019/01/10 at 10:04 PM, Chris Hobson said:

Hi Kobus 

have a look in the download section there is a Axpert Guide I wrote a year or so ago (it needs updating).

With a 3.5kW Pylontech the max charging rate is 37A. Since the Axpert can only be set in graduation of 10A that limits you to 30A.  So setting 2 and 11 should not be above 30A. Further the settings are exactly the same as the settings for US2000B below.

80096092_Pylontechsettings.PNG.27b6d7ee724359288ea2e3c113796cc8.PNG

What should setting 2 and 11 be if I have two US300 batteries? 

• 7 months later...

This is most informative, thanks all.

I've had my system installed four years ago with single Axpert 5K-48 inverter, 6 x 250W panels, and four Vision 12V 200AH batteries.

The thinking was that over time batteries would become more affordable and better.

Had to replace  the first battery six months ago, and a second has gone now, so decided to take the plunge and rather get 3 Pylon US2000B's.

Installation planned for tomorrow with help from professional, but definitely want to get the best life out of Pylons, so please help.

How do I manage the 80% SOC threshold on the Pylons to ensure better life, or is this handled internally by Pylons, or a setting on Axpert?

Can I connect laptop to Pylon stack to see and change parameters?

Axpert prog item 2 = 25A x 3 = 75A? Use 70 or 80?

Thank you

Carel

4 hours ago, Carel said:

This is most informative, thanks all.

I've had my system installed four years ago with single Axpert 5K-48 inverter, 6 x 250W panels, and four Vision 12V 200AH batteries.

The thinking was that over time batteries would become more affordable and better.

Had to replace  the first battery six months ago, and a second has gone now, so decided to take the plunge and rather get 3 Pylon US2000B's.

Installation planned for tomorrow with help from professional, but definitely want to get the best life out of Pylons, so please help.

How do I manage the 80% SOC threshold on the Pylons to ensure better life, or is this handled internally by Pylons, or a setting on Axpert?

Can I connect laptop to Pylon stack to see and change parameters?

Axpert prog item 2 = 25A x 3 = 75A? Use 70 or 80?

Thank you

Carel

Hi Carel, this is something that has been discussed a few times on different threads and should actually become a sticky thread or a guide. But here goes:

The pylons and the axperts don't talk to each other at all in a normal setup. The axpert reads voltages form the pylons and guesses (a Lithium has a very flat discharge curve that drops off quickly at the end. So its very difficult to use voltage to calculate SOC) the SOC. For a accurate SOC you need to ask the pylon what the SOC is. So you need some EXTERNAL device to chat to the pylon and chat to the axpert. A victron BMV 7xx is a option. The other option is a program called ICC. This runs on a raspberry pi and chats to the pylon and the axpert and controls both. 

If you are okay with simply losing power when your pylons run out and only care about them running for as long as possible, then you can use them as is. The pylons tend to drop out and disconnect around 10-15% SOC. So they protect themselves. If this is all you want then great. If you want them to last and work well then you need something that manages them.

To connect to the pylons you need a special cable which you can buy or make up yourself. The info is scattered across this forum. You can connect to the axperts with the supplied usb cable and change/monitor things.

Hope this helps.

Greetings

I need some assistance.  This is what I have ...

• 2 * Axpert/Mecer 5Kw Inverters connected in parallel (SOLIAX5P)
  • 12 * Canadian solar panels (325W each) - Separated in two strings, so each inverter is connected to 6 panels
  • 4 * 3.5Kw Pylontech batteries (us3000)

I understand that program 2 must be set according to the number of batteries (N) * 37A (recommended for us3000). In this case we will have 4 * 37 = 148A

I am assuming I need to split this load for charging between the two inverters for program 02, so one inverter can read 80A and the other 70A to give me 150A, or alternatively make both of them 70A each.

Should the config be as follows then:

• Program 02: 70A for the one inverter and 80A for the other inverter
  • Program 05: USE
  • Program 11: Not sure what to put here for either inverter, should be the same as program 02
  • Program 12: 46V
  • Program 13 48V
  • Program 26: 53.2V
  • Program 29: 47.0V

PS. I have bought the raspberry pi from centurion solar already

Thanking you in advance

9 hours ago, Riaz Moolla said:

I understand that program 2 must be set according to the number of batteries (N) * 37A (recommended for us3000). In this case we will have 4 * 37 = 148A

Yes.

I am assuming I need to split this load for charging between the two inverters for program 02, so one inverter can read 80A and the other 70A to give me 150A, or alternatively make both of them 70A each.

Correct.

Should the config be as follows then:

• Program 02: 70A for the one inverter and 80A for the other inverter

I would use 70 and 70, but it doesn't matter a great deal.

• Program 11: Not sure what to put here for either inverter, should be the same as program 02

You should use choose a value depending on how fast you want to charge your batteries from utility. If you choose say 50 A each, that will be ~5 kW of charging power from Eskom.

• Program 12: 46V

That seems very low, and should always be 2 V higher than setting 29 (assuming unpatched firmware).

• Program 13 48V

Also low. I would suggest 48 V for setting 12, and 50 or 51 V for setting 13.

• Program 26: 53.2V

This is the recommended value. I feel it's way too high, but many people use this figure.

• Program 29: 47.0V

I suggest 2 V less than setting 12, i.e. 46 V if you use 48 V for setting 12.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Chris. I need some advice, i have a Mecer  3kva plus, i am getting 2 Pylon tec 24volt, 2.4KWh batteries, and want to know what

settings to install on my inverter. I see your settings for the 48volt model, but none for the 24volt type.

Many thanks,

Alun.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I got my second Pylontech 3.5 battery connected. Wonderful, enough capacity now to get us through the night until the sun starts to shine again.

But I noticed on the ICC that battery nr2 seems to work harder than battery 1.

Battery 1 is the master as it is the new one. When I tried to make the old one the master it did not work....got a red light on the battery.

I also tried to EQUALIZE the two batteries by only connecting them together and let them settle until the lights went out on both.

When both batteries reaches 100% the voltages are the same. Then we start using power, battery nr 2 is always the one with the higher amp discharge. Therefore in the morning after running through the night battery nr1 would be say on 75% SOC and battery nr2 would sit on 45% SOC according to ICC

ICC will indicate these two SOC readings under the Pylontech tab, but on the dashboard the 2 would show an average of about 60%

Is this correct? any settings somewhere that I missed ? 

On 2019/04/22 at 2:13 PM, kobus joubert said:

The Pylontech battery unit has it's own charge controller build in.

You simply connect it to the Axpert inverter and change some settings on the voltages.

The Raspberry Pi that runs the ICC software make life easy to monitor and make changes to your Inverter setup, but you do not need this at all.

Hi Kobus, kan jy dalk asb vir my help. Ek het 1 x Axpert MKS II 48V inverter met 1 x US3000 Pylontech 3.5Kwh Li-ion. Daar is geen Raspberry Pi gekoppel nie. Is die Pi al manier hoe die inverter die regte SOC gaan sien. Op oomblik is daar geen coms kabel tussen die inverter en Pylon nie. Jy se hier bo dat 'n mens nie die Pi benodig nie. Is daar n ander manier hoe ek die inverter en Li-ion kan laat communicate? Baie Dankie

Hallo Pieter, soos jy kan sien is ek nie die slim persoon wat jou daai antwoord kan gee nie. Ek weet net dat jy nie die Pi met ICC hoef te gebruik nie maar tenminste moet jy 'n kommunikasie kabel tussen battery en Inverter insit.

Wens die slim manne wil my nou ook kom vertel hoekom my een battery harder werk as die ander.

• 3 weeks later...

sorry again, I know this may be a repete of a question above, but the graphics are not being picked up with my screen reading software, meaning I can't read them. have a 5KW  Axpert, with 12 330W panels and a pylentec battery. can any of you guys give me the optimal settings? tried downloading Chris's manual, but there's parts where it says refer to battery details; I have a pylentech  3.5 KW battery model 3000B.

For one Pylontech 3.5 kWh (US3000B) battery:

Setting 02 (maximum charge current) should be 30 A

Setting 05 (battery type) should be USE (user battery type)

Setting 12 (back to utility voltage) should be 48 V

Setting 13 (back to battery voltage) should be 51 V, or possibly 50 V for less utility usage

Setting 26 (bulk/absorb voltage) is recommended to be 53.2 V, though I personally would use a lower value like 51.8 V

Setting 27 (float voltage) is recommended to be the same or a little lower than setting 26, e.g. 53.2 V, though I would personally use a figure like 50.3 V.

Setting 29 (low DC cutoff voltage) should be 46.5 V, or 46.0 V to avoid low battery warnings.

I hope this helps.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 2019/01/15 at 12:31 PM, Padwan said:

@Chris Hobson quick question since you seem to have most hands on experience with Axpert/Pylontech/ICC.

(How) does ICC interact with multiple Pylontech batteries?

I've got two US3000 and connected with cable they offer for pylontech kit. 

But their software only shows one battery is connected .... and i cant really figure out have i missed something with setup / connection

image.png

IMG_4049 (1).jpg

Hi Padwan,

I am struggling with the dip switch settings for the Pylontech US3000 setup. I love your photos of the 2 US3000, but I can not 100% make out the dip switch settings

I also have a Mecer Axpert MKS II 5KW high DC input up to 450DC and 80A charger and up to 4500W insolar panels. I have problems getting the full solar production and been told that my PV angle is wrong. My 3 strings of 5 X Canadian Solar 330w panels each only give me around 3-4 KW/h per day and they are installed flat on my carport

I stay in Kempton Park Johannesburg and I was told to list   the panel angle to 36 degrees. I am hesitant as a lot of people I know have had their panels stolen. So I invested in some SW but now it does not want to read from the inverter or the batteries and I was told that my dip switch settings on the US3000 are incorrect.According to the Pylontech manual, the way I understand it the first battery 0 should have dip switch 1 up or on and all others off or down and battery 1 or second battery dip 2 up or on and all others down or off. If I see your photo correctly you have battery 0 Ca dip 2 is up and all others down and battery 1 or second battery all 4 dips are off or down? Can anyone give me advise please

40 minutes ago, Christoph said:

I was told that my dip switch settings on the US3000 are incorrect.According to the Pylontech manual, the way I understand it the first battery 0 should have dip switch 1 up or on and all others off or down and battery 1 or second battery dip 2 up or on and all others down or off. If I see your photo correctly you have battery 0 Ca dip 2 is up and all others down and battery 1 or second battery all 4 dips are off or down? Can anyone give me advise please

All dip switches should be down (0) on both batteries (unless you for some reason need to change the comms baud rate). You only need to change these if you are running multiple groups of batteries (for which I believe you also require their hub). For running up to 8x Pylons together, no changes are necessary on the dip switches. You simply need to connect the batteries with the supplied link cables. The first battery (without anything connected to Link Port 0) is the master.

See my setup as example:

Pylon1.thumb.jpg.326da61248b103a10b23b55eecd5200d.jpg

Pylon3.thumb.jpg.6d8cc9d81215ce89a3f27015ca467fe3.jpg

I have just bought a PylonTech 3.5Kw battery which I wanted to connect to my Axpert 5Kw/4Kv hybrid inverter bought in July 2015. I had 4 x Monbat batteries which did not hold a charge for a few years now and I only kept them so that the inverter would still operate i.e. no battery power after dark. I have studied all the information on this thread and thought it would work. Unfortunately I have had no joy as the relay switches on and off (in the inverter) the whole time and i eventually get error 57 displayed. Seems as if the inverter does not recognise the PylonTech battery. All settings have been changed as recommende by all the learned people posting on this thread. I reconnected my old Monbat batteries and unfortunately the error 57 remained so I have had to bypass the inverter so that I could get utility power as the boss of me was ready to explode. Any suggestions?