LiFePo4 battery pack from China

Dear Community,

I would like to have your opinion...

I currently run an 48v off-grid system on a boat with:

16 x TrinaSolar panels 275w

2 x Voltronic inverters MKS 5kva (parallel)

12 x Newmax Gel batteries 150ah

My batteries might reach end of life soon and I'm considering to replace them with LiFePo4.

I live in Egypt and I couldn't find any proper LiFePo4 packs here locally. That's why I might order directly from China.

There is lots of Chinese companies offering all kinds of LiFePo4 battery packs.

I contacted a few and already got some interesting offers, but I'm not sure about quality issues and if I shall take the risk.

They all sound quite promissing and the prices are not bad.  For example:

48v100ah from EV Lithium for 1500$

http://www.evlithium.com/LiFePO4-Battery/606.html

48v100ah from Meritsun for 1380$

https://www.meritsunpower.com/telecom-solar-energy-storage-lithium-battery-system

Or 48v300ah from Yiyen for 5000$

https://www.yiyen.com/product/battery-energy-storage-system-ess

Anyone of you has experience with LiFePo4's of that kind from China?

I'm pretty sure they could work well with my Voltronic inverters. But I'm wondering if they deliver what they promise...

I know that many users of this forum swear by PylonTech or BlueNova. No doubts, they must be great. But quite expensive and also not easy to get to Egypt.

Any advice is highly appreciated

Felix

• 4 months later...

Hi, Felix. It seems you have installed the Yiyen batteries. I am also thinking of installing Yiyen 24V 300Ah battery pack. Can you please provide feedback/review with regards to safety, reliability and any issues about the battery? Thanks.

4 hours ago, Mazs said:

Hi, Felix. It seems you have installed the Yiyen batteries. I am also thinking of installing Yiyen 24V 300Ah battery pack. Can you please provide feedback/review with regards to safety, reliability and any issues about the battery? Thanks.

Hi Mazs,

Yes, I ordered 2 packs 48V 150Ah in March directly from Yiyen, China.  Excellent support with shipping,.paperwork and stuff. 3 weeks later I received them and installed them straight away. Since then they have been working perfectly, without any issue. The internal BMS seems to do a good job. Just... the BMS monitoring software only works on windows. And you have to order the CANUSB Adapter seperatly to monitor the batteries. So, I connected the two batteries via CANUSB to a Intel Computer Stick with Windows, and so I can monitor the batteries via VNC from anywhere.

After sales support, i.e. technical questions, monitoring, etc. is very good.

Till now I have 50 cycles on the batteries and they work perfectly. I am happy!

Cheers,

Felix

This is great. I have a few questions. Did you need any special settings in your inverter? What is your absorption voltage set as and for how many hours? What is the low voltage cutoff level? How does your inverter know when the battery is fully charged? Via a BMV?

It may be a great idea to document your setting up of the inverter, battery and your charging practices  to help others in future.

Thanks.

Edited by Mazs

Hey,

I think I just answered a few of you questions in the other reply.

No special inverter settings needed. Just...

Bulk charge voltage: 56V

Float: 55V

Cut-off: 48V

LiFePo4 don't need absorption. Just set bulk and float voltage. BMS cares about the rest.

I do have a BMV-702 installed. It's connected to the batteries and ICC. Like this I have all important info in ICC, like SOC, Ah consumed, time left, etc.

If I want to check more details about my battery packs, I have to lock at the BMS.

Attached 3 screenshots:

1. ICC Dashboard

2. YiY BMS Overview

3. YIY BMS Details

Hope this helps...

Cheers,

Felix

Screenshot_20190704-161532_VNC Viewer.jpg

Screenshot_20190704-161604_VNC Viewer.jpg

Screenshot_20190704-161618_VNC Viewer.jpg

Very informative.

Wondering how the inverter-charger knows that the battery is full since your battery BMS is not connected to your inverter.

I assume the BMS shuts down the battery if the voltage drops to the Cutoff level.

Thanks a million.

Edited by Mazs
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but I did go ahead and buy a 20.5Kwh battery from YIYEN before xmas and it finally arrived. I'm very pleased with my purchase so far: YIYEN was great at communication, they followed-up nicely, the battery arrived VERY WELL crated/packaged and it looks rock-solid and like a very good quality product.

I wish I had known more about what was involved with sea freight coming into Canada and all the fees, charges, duties, taxes, dock fees, wharehouse fees, etc. etc. Definitely not as simple as ordering from Amazon lol. but all is good now... Some pics attached.

IMG_20200313_143026.jpg

IMG_20200228_140214.jpg

IMG_20200228_113143.jpg