Thank you for the great forum, Safe Driving over the weekend. Sincerely Jason
Querobin

Inverter Internal Failure

Good day

I have InfiniSolar Super 4kW which has an internal component failure and emailed voltronics for replacement, since they are out of warranty they wants us to purchase the parts but I need to identify the boards inside the inverter because we cannot afford to buy all parts( main board, communication board and dc to dc circuit board). I can't see it on the manual either. can you please help me.. 

InfiniSolar Super 4kW Voltronic Power-min.jpg

This service manual for a 3 kW machine has pictures of the various boards. It should help, even though it's not quite the right machine.

I had a 4 kW model for inspection for a while, and it seems to me that there are two big boards, the main board and the battery (perhaps also called DC-DC) board. Between them, these two boards are 90% of the electronics. The comms board is very small. There are many sub (daughter?) boards on both the larger boards, not plug-in but rather soldered in. I assume that these would come with the larger boards that they connect to.

https://powerforum.co.za/files/file/10-1-phase-3kw-plus-hybrid-solar-inverter/

4 hours ago, Querobin said:

I need to identify the boards inside the inverter because we cannot afford to buy all parts

Typically the long board on the right fails in these units. That is the DC to DC board. 

The long one on the left or AC board fails less often, but if the supply breaker tripped when the DC board failed,  there is a great possibility that the AC board is gone as well.  

Good luck

@Jaco de Jongh

Situation: 3 inverters not working

I tested the inverters via batteries and they turned on and the errors are both internal component failure but I tried to supply them with grid, then one inverter turned on while the other two didn't.. definitely for the inverter which turned on with grid, I would purchase the DC to DC board. what about the other two, is it the same? DC circuit board? can you help me? 

Thanks again

Edited by Querobin

1 hour ago, Querobin said:

Situation: 3 inverters not working

To me it sounds like one is salvageable and the other two needs essentially complete replacement. First question is whether it is cost-effective to do so. Second, which is sort-of part of the first question, is whether they won't just blow again 18 months down the line. The Infini Super was anything but (super). I'd say it is time to write them off and start with a more reputable inverter. Which interestingly is what Jaco did 🙂

2 hours ago, Querobin said:

DC circuit board? can you help me? 

There is no clear answer to your question. In 2 instances the DC board Blew and a dead short was created by the fault, so bad that the battery fuses blew as well. On a different occasion the DC-DC board blew but the battery's were still able to power the Unit. 

Same with AC boards, the one time the AC board blew I could still power the unit with AC and could see everything on the display. Supplier tested unit and had to replace AC board as well, the second AC board blew and I could not power the unit by AC on ist own. 

Conclusion: Starting the Unit with Either AC or DC is not a clear indication of the state of the board. I think different components failing will result in different symptoms. Why dont you swap the boards around a bit to try and determine the actual faulty ones, maybe you can get one going to help you out temporary. 

Sorry i cant be of More help.... 

Please share the prices of the different boards with us, i still have a faulty unit that needs some attention. 

Last recommendation. If at all possible, rather go for something else. These unit are just not reliable at all, saw to many fail..... 

1 hour ago, Jaco de Jongh said:

Conclusion: Starting the Unit with Either AC or DC is not a clear indication of the state of the board.

+1. There are a bunch of small power supplies in there. One of them is the "main" power supply that provides +15 V, +5 V, and ±12 V. It's supplied on the primary side via three diodes (D9/D11/D14 in the SS 3 kW+ service manual, Figure 4.3). These diodes connect to two other power supplies, to derive power from the battery or AC in, or from BUS+ (which includes PV power). I don't know if either of these three power supplies is part of the Battery/DC-DC board or the AC board, and two of these small power supplies is all you need to power the processor and display from AC input. So as @Jaco de Jongh pointed out, running the display isn't a clear indication of the health of either of the two big power boards.

In the model I worked on briefly, there seemed to me more than one "main" power supply as well, just to add confusion to the mix.