Axpert ceased to invert 48v to loads

Gabriël

34 minutes ago, gabriel said:

It still charges a little from the pvs

The inverter and the MPPT are separate devices included in the same case. If one blows up the other should continue working. So the fact that the MPPT still works is a red herring. What you want to know is why the inverter stopped working. I hope for your sake that it didn't blow up in some manner.

Edited by plonkster

7 minutes ago, SilverNodashi said:

Perhaps the MCU just hung-up a bit?

tx, i believe the pvs charge, what got me is the sudden stop to supply the load from the batteries, we had a load of 2.3kw from a microwave [grill] and a fridge or freezer might have kicked in pushing the inverter over its limit for a short period... could that have freaked out the mcu? and is there a way i can test the axpert now?

1 minute ago, gabriel said:

tx, i believe the pvs charge, what got me is the sudden stop to supply the load from the batteries, we had a load of 2.3kw from a microwave [grill] and a fridge or freezer might have kicked in pushing the inverter over its limit for a short period... could that have freaked out the mcu? and is there a way i can test the axpert now?

Is it working?

Have you switched back to Eskom?

Did you by chance open the case and measure the PV inputs to see if it showed any volts?

What did the sky look like at that time? I can't see the moon right now but could the moon have been bright enough to cause this at that moment? 

there's many variables at play here. I would have measured the volts on the PV inputs and see if it corresponded to what the Axpert showed at that time. 

ok, so what happened was exactly at the same moment i put the change over switch in the UP position a while ago, the lights came on - initially i could not figure it out as it was 20:18 and eskom should be coming on at 20:30. but then again it could not be the inverter staring to carry the load ... then i saw that eskom was indeed on, although a bit early.

in order to test if the inverter indeed converts the 48v from the batteries to the load i switched the change over switch to the MIDDLE position which would have eskom electricity go via the inverter to the load [the normal position the inverter is in], i presume not directly, but 1st being converted to 48v and then to 240v again in order for it also to be able to charge the batteries.

as soon as i did the above switch - darkness, no electricity supply to any load. i then switched the c/o to the DOWN position, eskom now feeds the house loads as well as the axpert [which charges the batteries].

my conclusion is that the axpert will not invert the battery electricity to 240v in order to carry the loads - i suppose my next question would be where could i have this situation tested beyond my basic [although i believe quite definitive] procedure and if it is the case, repaired. obviously if repair costs rather warrant replacement then i'll look at it.

whilst i'm at it, it seems as if the axpert lacks the ability or sensitivity to determine if the batteries are fully charged as it will stop charging even if the pylons still indicate they are not full, it will then start with intermittent charging which never really tops up the pylons. this is only in utility mode and during night, the charge from pv supply is good and results in fully topped up batteries.

i appreciate your quick reaction @SilverNodashi & @plonkster sleep well! 💤

IMG_20190317_213615.jpg

IMG_20190317_213506.jpg

Edited by gabriel
xtra data

10 minutes ago, gabriel said:

ok, so what happened was exactly at the same moment i put the change over switch in the UP position a while ago, the lights came on - initially i could not figure it out as it was 20:18 and eskom should be coming on at 20:30. but then again it could not be the inverter staring to carry the load ... then i saw that eskom was indeed on, although a bit early.

in order to test if the inverter indeed converts the 48v from the batteries to the load i switched the change over switch to the MIDDLE position which would have eskom electricity go via the inverter to the load [the normal position the inverter is in], i presume not directly, but 1st being converted to 48v and then to 240v again in order for it also to be able to charge the batteries.

as soon as i did the above switch - darkness, no electricity supply to any load. i then switched the c/o to the DOWN position, eskom now feeds the house loads as well as the axpert [which charges the batteries].

my conclusion is that the axpert will not invert the battery electricity to 240v in order to carry the loads - i suppose my next question would be where could i have this situation tested beyond my basic [although i believe quite definitive] procedure and if it is the case, repaired. obviously if repair costs rather warrant replacement then i'll look at it.

whilst i'm at it, it seems as if the axpert lacks the ability or sensitivity to determine if the batteries are fully charged as it will stop charging even if the pylons still indicate they are not full, it will then start with intermittent charging which never really tops up the pylons. this is only in utility mode and during night, the charge from pv supply is good and results in fully topped up batteries.

i appreciate your quick reaction @SilverNodashi & @plonkster sleep well! 💤

I think it would be best to ask an electrician to come check and see if it does in deed produce 220V. If I were in the WC area I would have popped in  but I'm in Johannesburg. Perhaps someone on the forum is close-by?

A replacement PCB cost about R1K, but the labor could be rather expensive. I don't know who services those units in the Cape Area. Perhaps @Chris Hobson might know?

w.r.t your question about the batteries. Even if you go the blue route, it would be ideal to have a battery monitor, just keep that in mind. 

21 minutes ago, SilverNodashi said:

A replacement PCB cost about R1K, but the labor could be rather expensive.

i'll try and get an electrician tomorrow, not easy around here to get someone who knows something about the axpert, but you never know. regarding the cost, well, i'll just have to see. thanks!

3 hours ago, gabriel said:

ok, so what happened was exactly at the same moment i put the change over switch in the UP position a while ago, the lights came on -

My understanding is that UP for your changeover switch means most of the loads are connected to AC out of the inverter. The lights came on because the inverter was in bypass (line mode), where AC in connects to AC out.

Usually the middle position is OFF, and the labelling in your photo seems to confirm that.

Also, in bypass mode, AC in connects to AC out by a series of relays; it does not convert to 48 V and back to 220 V. Charging the batteries works through the inverter hardware, but somehow puts the power flow into reverse, taking power from the AC out (also connected to AC in and the utility) and pushing it into the battery.

So the fact that you can perform battery charging from utility seems to indicate that you don't have a bad hardware problem. Also, Axperts throw fault codes (errors) when there is a hardware failure. You don't seem to have a fault condition at present. So I think your problem is settings.

I would think that the DOWN position is where most of the loads connect to Eskom. I would think that the inverter gets its AC in from elsewhere, otherwise, in the UP position, which I think is the normal position, the inverter would never get AC in for bypass/line mode and utility battery charging.

My apologies if I've made bad assumptions here.

Since the LC Display isn't showing a path from the inverter to the loads when you expect it to, and since there are no fault codes showing, it seems to me that you must have bad settings.

* Did your restart the inverter and/or your monitoring software? I think it just has bad settings.

* If the above doesn't fix the problem, please get the inverter into the state where you expect it to be inverting (powering the loads from battery), and use the LC display to tell us what some major settings are, particularly settings 01 (Output source priority) and 16 (Charger source priority).

5 hours ago, Coulomb said:

My apologies if I've made bad assumptions here.

not to worry @Coulomb, i' could be dead wrong here. i appreciate you coming on board and i will 1st

5 hours ago, Coulomb said:

get the inverter into the state where you expect it to be inverting

and post the results here before getting my BEEF over :D

1 hour ago, gabriel said:

not to worry @Coulomb, i' could be dead wrong here. i appreciate you coming on board and i will 1st

and post the results here before getting my BEEF over :D

I have to agree with @Coulomb The center position on those changeover switches is normally "OFF". Check that first before you pay your BEEF to check for you.

hi guys, GOOD NEWS!

my beef checked the breakers etc, all ok. he then made a call to his 'SOLAR-BEEF' 😄 and also mentioned the fact, as stated somewhere above, that there was a heavy load just prior to the inverter stopping to supply power... so together they figured that program setting 13 was too high at 53v and must come down to 51v as what happened was that the axpert could not supply the load from the batteries anymore and was looking for eskom for help - obviously that was not available so it stopped supply altogether until the battery voltage was 53v again. as this would take some time yours truly in his 'wisdom' [aka panic] turned off the inverter and batteries just in case.

bottom line, all is up and running again and i am looking forward to the 5 hours of load-shedding scheduled for today. i shall treat the system with more respect and withhold unnecessary loads in future :rolleyes:

how do i add SOLVED to the topic?

7 minutes ago, gabriel said:

hi guys, GOOD NEWS!

my beef checked the breakers etc, all ok. he then made a call to his 'SOLAR-BEEF' 😄 and also mentioned the fact, as stated somewhere above, that there was a heavy load just prior to the inverter stopping to supply power... so together they figured that program setting 13 was too high at 53v and must come down to 51v as what happened was that the axpert could not supply the load from the batteries anymore and was looking for eskom for help - obviously that was not available so it stopped supply altogether until the battery voltage was 53v again. as this would take some time yours truly in his 'wisdom' [aka panic] turned off the inverter and batteries just in case.

bottom line, all is up and running again and i am looking forward to the 5 hours of load-shedding scheduled for today. i shall treat the system with more respect and withhold unnecessary loads in future :rolleyes:

Well done!

And how you know what to check next time ;)

41 minutes ago, gabriel said:

hi guys, GOOD NEWS!

Thanks for sharing this info . Could be handy with al the power outages we have lately . Some of us must still learn .