Rookie Victron Multi Questions

TheRidDlerX

Hi there forumites. Ive been gathering info left and right for a system I want to put together, but have installed, DIY is NOT my forte. The basics are as follows.. 15kW/day load. Lookin for a hybrid inverter with built in charger that can keep the house alive during an outage (looking at pylontech batteries) and share the load between PV and the grid under normal circumstances (after the battery bank is charged). The idea is to eventually go off grid at a later stage in the future, but not in the next year or three, so over speccing the inverter a bit. 

I'm currently very fond of the victron multiplus 48/5000, but I lack the big picture knowledge to make an informed decision. Hoping some of you might shine some light please. I keep reading it has a built in charger for the batteries but then on other sites they want you to link it to a PV inverter, and on others they suggest linking it to a MPPT (which I've only recently realized is the charger portion... I think) yet I thought this was the inverter itself.. Freakin confusing. Any pros / cons for this one? Will it do the job as mentioned above? 48V batteries and all that. Max amount of panel watts it can handle? And lately I've been reading there is some magic voltage rules that ur array has to be in to match your inverter plus something about strings...Feels like the closer I get the further things seem. Thank you for taking the time to read this. Taking it one item at a time. Any help would be appreciated. 

34 minutes ago, TheRidDlerX said:

built in charger

That refers to its capability to charge from the Grid. It is an inverter/charger, as opposed to the Phoenix range that is only an inverter.

35 minutes ago, TheRidDlerX said:

link it to a PV inverter, and on others they suggest linking it to a MPPT

Both are supported. You can bring your PV in using a PV-inverter (aka grid tied inverter), and then you use the charger in the Multi to do the charging OR... you can bring in the PV on the DC side using an MPPT.

Watch this: