Thank you for the great forum, Safe Driving over the weekend. Sincerely Jason

8 hours ago, Kilowatt said:

Thanks for the feedback. I am pretty sure I have made the same wiring mistakes that you had, when the Electrician comes back we will give it another go. Other than that I gained some good confidence with my system yesterday, my wife had big loads running most of the afternoon, and we ran without any hiccups even up to 8kw passing through the inverter at times. 

I'm very satisfied with the Victron equipment so far. 

@Isismobile, do your Phylontech batteries show up under the Device list? I cant see my batteries on mine. I have the Victron VE CAN to CAN BUS cable linking the battery and Venus GX

What size cable do you have between your combiner box and MPPT? 

Yes, my battery does show.

Have a look here for the polyntech setup. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:start maybe it can help?

2CC920CC-1B53-432C-84A1-D8F3647485F4.jpeg

Edited by isimobile

On 2019/07/05 at 9:18 PM, isimobile said:

was connected to ac_out2

Yup, that's considered to be on the output 🙂 The Multi only has one current sensor and cannot distinguish between the two.

The requirement to not use batteries for loads on AC-in (but to use excess solar) is one that I've seen pop up a hand full of times now. Not only in South Africa either. Another person wanted his Fronius inverter to feed loads on the input side but he didn't want the Multi to do the same thing (from the batteries or MPPTs). This requirement essentially translates to two points of control... and I'm not convinced there is enough demand for it yet 🙂

The way it works is it tries to keep your consumption at zero, and the place where it measures the consumption is either at the input of the Multi, or at the energy meter if you install one. It will use battery power to do it, that is the point of self-consumption. What I usually advise is that people develop their own modbus control stuff to manually control power levels and prevent unnecessary large discharge from the battery. For the most part, feeding loads on the input side from batteries is not a bad thing: Think for example about smaller loads. You will get better self-consumption by doing this. The problem most people have is the geyser. They want it to be powered from PV during day time, but not from battery during night time. So simply do something that will prevent large discharges at nigh.

BTW, it was nice to talk to you (in the background) even if the connection was rather terrible. I was literally 100km from "civilisation" on what is considered to be a rather good internet connection (Wimax), but it is totally overloaded and drops out frequently.

I added my generation output to dvoutput.org, I used @plonkster pythons script and implemented weather and voltage data.  Thanks @plonkster ! (I did send you a merge request :), if you want to merge the code)

You can find the details here: https://github.com/isimobile/dbus-pvoutput

It was my first attempt at using Python, but hopefully it works. You just need to change the values in the config.ini file and copy both files onto you ccgx (*gx) or venus gx (*gx).

If you have enabled ssh access on your *gx  as well as setup a password you are good to go, otherwise setup these items on your *gx device. You also need to find your gx ipaddress, it will be either under Wifi or LAN under settings, whichever you used to setup you *gx device to connect to the internet. Obviously you need an active Internet connection otherwise nothing will work!

Disclaimer, you run at your own risk!

If something is unclear I in the instructions below, let me know I will try an clarify, but don't expect me to answer within a minute or a day, I will answer when I can 😋!

You should have some knowledge of using a command line. But it is not very difficult to figure out. I have setup my ssh login with port fwd so that I can access my install anywhere in the world, but this is not within this scope on how to do that, You can connect to your environment via ssh from your internal  LAN/WiFi on port 22, if ssh is enable on you *gx device.

A good Windows SSH client is putty.

First create a folder under /data called blue-script, /data is not overridden when you update you *gx to th latest version, from my understanding, so you will not loose the scripts .

Detailed steps below.

ssh -p 22 <your ip>
cd /data
mkdir blue-script
exit

Download the files to you PC and update API-KEY, SYSTEMID in config.ini and if you want to enable weather information register on openweathermap for and api key and then get your cityid.  then copy the files to your venus, I am using a MAC so I sued scp to copy the files to the device, but you can use putty's copy to copy files as well, just search for how to do it.

scp -P 22 ~/Projects/solar/dbus-pvoutput/dbus-pvoutput.py [email protected]:/data/scripts/
scp -P 22 ~/Projects/solar/dbus-pvoutput/config.ini [email protected]:/data/scripts/
ssh -p 22 [email protected]<yourip>
cd /data/blue-script/

Then to test your script and make sure it works run it.

python dbus-pvoutput.py 

Then you wait a few seconds then you should see this output below, if not then something is wrong.

INFO:__main__:Found solarchargers at com.victronenergy.solarcharger.ttyO2
INFO:__main__:Found grid meters at com.victronenergy.grid.cgwacs_ttyUSB0_di30_mb1
INFO:__main__:Found vebus at com.victronenergy.vebus.ttyO1
INFO:__main__:EG: 351.25, EC: 445.27, PG: 2692.72, PC: 1458.00, VO: 237.08

Press ctrl-c to stop script.

To run the script you can add it at startup or this is what I am doing, I run it like this, I am to lazy to add it at startup, just remember to tun it again when you reboot the *gx or update the *gx OS  :

nohup python dbus-pvoutput.py &

wait a minute (not realy needed but just to be save :) ) then press enter. To see if the process is running type:

ps | grep dbus-pvoutput.py

then your output should look like this:

20990 root     28876 S    python dbus-pvoutput.py
21138 root      2240 S    grep dbus-pvoutput.py

Congrats, your output should now be publishing every 5 minutes to dvoutput.org. I like how dvoutput.org show the data, compared to VRM, but I use both :) .

Edited by isimobile
my afrikaans engels is nie altyd so lekker nie :), mag dalk 'n fout of twee he.

On 2019/07/08 at 11:15 AM, plonkster said:

Yup, that's considered to be on the output 🙂 The Multi only has one current sensor and cannot distinguish between the two.

The requirement to not use batteries for loads on AC-in (but to use excess solar) is one that I've seen pop up a hand full of times now. Not only in South Africa either. Another person wanted his Fronius inverter to feed loads on the input side but he didn't want the Multi to do the same thing (from the batteries or MPPTs). This requirement essentially translates to two points of control... and I'm not convinced there is enough demand for it yet 🙂

The way it works is it tries to keep your consumption at zero, and the place where it measures the consumption is either at the input of the Multi, or at the energy meter if you install one. It will use battery power to do it, that is the point of self-consumption. What I usually advise is that people develop their own modbus control stuff to manually control power levels and prevent unnecessary large discharge from the battery. For the most part, feeding loads on the input side from batteries is not a bad thing: Think for example about smaller loads. You will get better self-consumption by doing this. The problem most people have is the geyser. They want it to be powered from PV during day time, but not from battery during night time. So simply do something that will prevent large discharges at nigh.

BTW, it was nice to talk to you (in the background) even if the connection was rather terrible. I was literally 100km from "civilisation" on what is considered to be a rather good internet connection (Wimax), but it is totally overloaded and drops out frequently.

Gosh i was racking my brains with this one earlier this year.....that was exactly how I wanted my Goodwe system to work. Be powered from PV during the day and not from battery at night....so I guess there is no fix apart from making sure that you have your geyser off:(

3 hours ago, xinath said:

...so I guess there is no fix apart from making sure that you have your geyser off:

Why not install the bottom of the range Geyserwise timer and set it so that the geyser only comes on at a time you decided?