Struggling with Goodwe Inverter

Daranger

12 hours ago, Peekay said:

Any ideas how I can get it to connect more reliably or something else I can use to play around with the settings?

I think only PV Master and EZManage can be used to change the settings. I am not sure why you are having problems connecting with the apps. Are you maybe out of range? Did you discuss this with Goodwe support? 

• 4 months later...
On 2019/06/07 at 1:58 PM, Daranger said:

Dont be too disheartened. If you use the product with a standard battery like Pylontech I am sure that you will have a better experience than we have.

@Daranger did you ever come right with the Goodwe and "non intelligent SOC-wise" batteries? I have been running my 5086EM in the economical mode for about a month. I experienced the same issues where the inverter would report the SOC at 6-9% then jump straight 100% before it would the cycle until a large load would drain the battery and it start the whole sordid process again!

Economical mode is working for now.... 

Maybe there is BMS or some clever SOC measuring and report device out there that would talk to the Goode inverter....

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

i had the the same issue with the soc. 
i initially had 121206, but had issue with the unit shutting Backup power down for a minute, every now and again, when eskom fails. 
Contacted Segen, and tried firmware 1414xx, and then the Soc issues started. 
then tried 151508, with the same issue. 

Eventually downgraded back to 121206, and Soc is working fine again. 🙂

i read somewhere on the forum that @pspspeed got a ota update to 171709..

perhaps that would work, as i would realy like to get some of the new features, like soc on and off grid settings. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2019/11/05 at 10:01 AM, Mad Mike said:

@Daranger did you ever come right with the Goodwe and "non intelligent SOC-wise" batteries? I have been running my 5086EM in the economical mode for about a month. I experienced the same issues where the inverter would report the SOC at 6-9% then jump straight 100% before it would the cycle until a large load would drain the battery and it start the whole sordid process again!

Economical mode is working for now.... 

Maybe there is BMS or some clever SOC measuring and report device out there that would talk to the Goode inverter....

Just a little update here. I got my Chinese BMS with a RS485/RS232/UART output and connecting that to the Goodwe battery BMS port the Goodwe has  began taking a SOC reading from the BMS. The SOC charge "jumped" from 49% to 68% which was more representative of the powerwalls state.There is still the BMS communication Fail error. I will see if this baby step improves the way the Goodwe inverter and the DIY powerwall play together. I may have to do a bit more fiddling... Will check back in a few days....

• 4 weeks later...

@Daranger Did you end up sorting it? or just running the econo mode?

Im running a custom powerwall with a batrium BMS. It seems to work.

It seems to struggle as soon as I go to use the LG RESU 6.4EX profile as suggested by BMS vendor. It will fluctuate between charge/discharge constantly with a "SOCDeltaOverRange" error in the PV master app.

Im also on Firmware: 15158 with a '9' series inverter.

11 minutes ago, Dee Bee said:

@Daranger Did you end up sorting it? or just running the econo mode?

Im running a custom powerwall with a batrium BMS. It seems to work.

It seems to struggle as soon as I go to use the LG RESU 6.4EX profile as suggested by BMS vendor. It will fluctuate between charge/discharge constantly with a "SOCDeltaOverRange" error in the PV master app.

Im also on Firmware: 15158 with a '9' series inverter.

Hi all, sorry it has taken me a long time to respond.

In short I have not ended up with a suitable solution to date. Been a very frustrating process. Here is my story as it has unfolded:
- initially the system was loaded with 1414x software, this is where I was experiencing the SOC calculation issues
- then we upgraded the software to 1515x, this did not solve the SOC issue
- eventually we downgraded to 121209. This mostly fixed the SOC issue in self define, it was still fairly inaccurate (10-15% out) but at least it worked. I ran it in this mode for the last few months. Things worked better in this version but I had intermittent issues with little bugs in the software the most recent of which was that the system would lose connection with the meter for half the day and switch off self use mode.
- I then “upgraded” to what is supposed to be a more stable version as suggested by Goodwe, this version is 121206. I did this two days ago. It seems to have fixed the meter issue but sadly has caused a whole host of new ones. The battery wont charge (overcharging error) it also wont discharge on occasion.

So sadly I am back at square one. I am interested in the idea of using a custom BMS, do you have any more details on how it will work as a simple reporting BMS to trick the Goodwe into seeing a SOC? I had no idea it would be this hard to get such basic functionality working.

The sad thing is I know my batteries are far better than I would get if I went the PylonTech route but it seems that may have been the better choice in hindsight.

I am strongly considering getting rid of this inverter and finding another that will be more suited to my requirements.

@Daranger thanks for the update. I am going to go down the path of asking the BMS manufacturer first as they have mentioned that they support this inverter. Hence why I went with it.

A bit of a more detailed version of my issue here. https://secondlifestorage.com/showthread.php?tid=8633 Sorry, but it has a lot of BMS references within...

It seems my BMS is able to report the bty SOC, but its as if the Goodwe inverter is still struggling with it.

I'd be interested to learn how you measured the actual SOC of your inverter reports, did you use the RS485 port and some debug tools?

@Dee Bee My solution is a bit ham fisted. I have published SOC vs open circuit voltage graphs for the battery I am using and I am comparing those theoretical SOC figures to what the inverter is showing.

I like the idea of using the BMS to “trick” the inverter into thinking there is an actual LG battery. Did you connect it to the CAN bus?

@Daranger Yes, I connected the Batrium BMS to the BMS port on the inverter. I have the CAN-H and CAN-L pins going to the BMS. The BMS is able to then mimic an LG RESU bty.

But again, the inverter is still shooting out the SOCDeltaOverRange error. Even though the BMS is reporting the actual SOC to it.

When/if I get it running smoothly i'll let you know.

9 hours ago, Daranger said:

So things got dramatically worse today. We attempted to downgrade to 121204 again and somehow in the process the unit got corrupted. So it is now completely bricked 😟

Load shedding is on the horizon and my system is going to let me down yet again.

bahh that sucks man! Are Goodwe much help? every time I speak to them, I just get a 1 or 2 liner back.

7 hours ago, Dee Bee said:

Is it correct that when running the inverter in 'economical mode' it will feed the grid if you do not consume the power? 

it depends on how you have set the export limit. You can choose if and how much of the surplus power you want to feed into the grid.

On 2020/02/03 at 3:33 PM, Fuenkli said:

it depends on how you have set the export limit. You can choose if and how much of the surplus power you want to feed into the grid.

Sorry my logic could be all over the shop with this, but am I then correct in thinking that the export limit can not be set with the timings? 

Or is that the "rated power" percentage this option?  

I hope that makes sense....in the mean time, i'll do some googling.

47 minutes ago, Dee Bee said:

but am I then correct in thinking that the export limit can not be set with the timings? 

correct. The timings you set in the "economical mode" only refer to how the inverter is managing the charging and discharging of the batteries. The export to grid setting is in the "advanced settings". Whatever you set there will apply permanently irrespective of how you have set the battery management timing. It governs the amount of power the inverter is allowed to export if there is surplus PV. 

Edited by Fuenkli

@Fuenkli I've given up on the "General Mode" and my batteries. IF I have to use that mode i'll probably just buy a Victron Multiplus-II. I was hoping in the mean-time I could configure the "economic mode" to suit. But the fact that it exports any excess from my battery to the grid is absolutley ridiculous, I can't even think why this would be beneficial.

Looks like im stuck discharging at night down to 20A, to 90% SOC.

4 minutes ago, Dee Bee said:

But the fact that it exports any excess from my battery to the grid is absolutley ridiculous, I can't even think why this would be beneficial.

I agree. As far as I know it is not possible to program the inverter to use the batteries to export power. If yours is doing it I think there is something wrong. I would discuss this with David Havenga (Southern Africa Goodwe rep). Why is your general mode not working? 

@Fuenkli I am using a non-supported battery with a third party BMS. It seems that when I get to a discharge cycle the Inverter wants to go a bit crazy and the voltages fluctuate a fair bit. Basically it switches from a discharge state to an idle state multiple times at random intervals. I have spoken with the BMS manufacturer who blame the inverter, and Goodwe won't help me due to a non-supported battery. (Which kinda makes sense)

But yea when I set remote discharge targets on my BMS, ie above my household draw, the inverter straight away goes to the selected output and feeds whatever is not used back to the grid. It does not move with the house load. Which makes WAY more sense. (Economical Mode)

Anyhoo, too many variables. I need to do a lot more testing I think.

Edited by Dee Bee

29 minutes ago, Dee Bee said:

I am using a non-supported battery

I am basically doing the same and it is working perfectly. I have an old (serial number starts with a 3) ES inverter and Pylontech batteries. The old inverters can not communicate directly with the Pylontechs (without an expensive external EZConverter). I have set the appropriate battery parameters using "battery self define" and it works so well that I never bothered to establish the communication between inverter and batteries . I remember that @Bobster had a similar problem with his Revov's. Maybe he can advice why the "battery self define"  route also never worked for him and why. Before you change to a Victron make sure that it can communicate with your batteries.

Edited by Fuenkli

21 hours ago, Fuenkli said:

I am basically doing the same and it is working perfectly. I have an old (serial number starts with a 3) ES inverter and Pylontech batteries. The old inverters can not communicate directly with the Pylontechs (without an expensive external EZConverter). I have set the appropriate battery parameters using "battery self define" and it works so well that I never bothered to establish the communication between inverter and batteries . I remember that @Bobster had a similar problem with his Revov's. Maybe he can advice why the "battery self define"  route also never worked for him and why. Before you change to a Victron make sure that it can communicate with your batteries.

I cant give any technical explanation, my knowledge is insufficient. 

My problem was that the batteries would turn off despite (according to portal/EZ manager) there being plenty of charge. Was this the batteries actually going flat or the inverter somehow losing track? I dont know. 

There is a setting which allows the inverter to "kick start" the batteries, but only when there is PV power. 

The modified configuration has an extra box with the input side connected to the Revov BMS and the output side connected to the Goodwe. 

This has introduced a new, occasional problem - sudden changes of SOC. See attached image which shows SOC suddenly going from 78% to 100%. 

I think the 100% is a false reading, because the next morning the system halted, then restarted itself. 

<shrug/>

Screenshot_20200208_143219.jpg

On 2020/01/30 at 4:25 PM, Daranger said:

So things got dramatically worse today. We attempted to downgrade to 121204 again and somehow in the process the unit got corrupted. So it is now completely bricked 😟

Load shedding is on the horizon and my system is going to let me down yet again.

Hi all, an update on my situation. Somehow when we tried to downgrade to 121204 we didn’t just brick the unit, we actually blew a bunch of components in the unit. It went to Segen Solar for repair. Communication with them was very challenging initially and it took over a week before they been took a look at it. After that however they were much more responsive. They helped me file a warranty claim which Goodwe approved. The result of it all is that I have a completely new inverter running 171708. I specifically requested that it run 121204 as this was the only one I had found that ran the SOC calculation correctly when not using a BMS. I hadn’t tried 171708 though and so far the SOC calculation seems to be working perfectly. So far so good! Just pleased to have the system up and running again.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all. I just had my system installed and everything seems to be working well in GENERAL mode, except one issue is that twice a day the inverter shuts everything down for 2 seconds with the following message:
Error code 524352
SelfuseOff
Self-used mode was shut down, check whether charge and discharge time is set.
Can anyone here assist with that? We been struggling a few days now on this and I don't want to put it into Economical mode due to the discharge to grid of the batteries.
Much appreciated

On 2020/02/14 at 4:46 PM, Daranger said:

Hi all, an update on my situation. Somehow when we tried to downgrade to 121204 we didn’t just brick the unit, we actually blew a bunch of components in the unit. It went to Segen Solar for repair. Communication with them was very challenging initially and it took over a week before they been took a look at it. After that however they were much more responsive. They helped me file a warranty claim which Goodwe approved. The result of it all is that I have a completely new inverter running 171708. I specifically requested that it run 121204 as this was the only one I had found that ran the SOC calculation correctly when not using a BMS. I hadn’t tried 171708 though and so far the SOC calculation seems to be working perfectly. So far so good! Just pleased to have the system up and running again.

Sorry to hear, Daranger!

i was stuck on 121206 until now because of the lead acid soc issue.

About 6 months ago i tried 141406 but because of the unusable soc downgraded again to 1212 .

everyone from Goodwe and Sengen told me to stay on that because of the Lead Acid/Self define SOC issue. 

Untill now i had intermittent issues with the inverter shutting down the backup when power fails.  Sometimes for a minute(20%), sometimes untill i hard reset it by powering down and back up(10%). Other times it is hitless (70%)

Out of desperation, decided to upgrade to 171709 this morning. So far so good on the soc issue. 
How’s yours performing?

lets see how it behaves when Eskom starts loadsheading again on Monday .

lets see how it goes with the new firmware 🙂

On 2020/03/12 at 8:04 AM, tumad said:

Hi all. I just had my system installed and everything seems to be working well in GENERAL mode, except one issue is that twice a day the inverter shuts everything down for 2 seconds with the following message:
Error code 524352
SelfuseOff
Self-used mode was shut down, check whether charge and discharge time is set.
Can anyone here assist with that? We been struggling a few days now on this and I don't want to put it into Economical mode due to the discharge to grid of the batteries.
Much appreciated

Hi, what are your settings? Does this happen when you reach a certain SOC, or randomly? If you want, pm me your graphs to have a look at.