InfiniSolar 5kW

cvzyl

Spec sheet says 5kW. Max 7.5kW PV input. Supplier in Cape Town quotes R21k ex VAT.

At that price I would get a second Axpert. (8kW and Max PV 6kW).  The major advantage of the Infini over the Axpert is the true hybrid capability. The ability to feedback into the grid is negated by SA utility suppliers having ridiculous requirements or levies. (They do not want/need solar augmentation of their supply).

Chris, I agree. But it seems like in my area it is possible to turn back the electricity meter. A neighbour down the street managed to get a negative account one month, municipality was not impressed. So it's possible.

I'm considering it as I would prefer to run in a mode where the batteries are the last resort, run grid-tied and push max from the panels during the day and then pull it during the night. I will still not manage to go negative so wont have an issue. Then the batteries won't do as many cycles. (For me the batteries breaks the economics of solar.)

Question is however, how long before the local municipality gets clever and replace all meters with electronic ones?

I found it on Gumtree: http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-other-electronics/other/pure-sine-wave-inverters-+-1-3-and-5-kva/1001382291670910414503209

I contacted the guy, Alan. He said they have 11 in stock in Cape Town and can deliver same day. In Jhb they apparently have 3000 more units.

I attach the spec sheet.

I am not associated with the individual/company.

InfiniSolar_grid tied.pdf

Hi Mike

The 6 and 8 kW units are those going to be Infini or Axpert. I looked at the Infini but the 3kW that was available was just not enough. Now that a 5kW Infini is available I have got use to the Axpert's idiosyncrasies and I not that keen to trade it in (bit like a girlfriend I suppose). I would trade it in for a 6 or 8 kW unit (I would move the 4kW Axpert to supply my staff cottages and buy a bigger unit for myself).

Chris 

Suggest you guys contact him directly. As I said, I only found it on Gumtree and enquired about it.

I would like to get more out of my panels and also reduce the usage of the batteries, so those are the main items that interest me.

Mike, the 5kW InfiniSolar specs has been out for quite a while, they were just not available. The spec sheet for the 2/3/10 kW units on Voltronics' site already included the 5kW unit some months ago.

Suggest you guys contact him directly. As I said, I only found it on Gumtree and enquired about it.

I would like to get more out of my panels and also reduce the usage of the batteries, so those are the main items that interest me.

Mike, the 5kW InfiniSolar specs has been out for quite a while, they were just not available. The spec sheet for the 2/3/10 kW units on Voltronics' site already included the 5kW unit some months ago.

yep am aware of that, then we got info they were not going to export them but rather go for the 6 and 8kw units. still in the dark here awaiting a reply from Monica at Voltronic

Hi all. Will I be able to run the Infini and Axperts together in one system? I just spoke with a dude that said that Tshwane allows you to push power back into the grid and he sowed me his setup. If I can get one 8KW that will be what I need but if you oly get a 3 - 5 kw then I want to run them together.

Tell a little more about the Tshwane side? What do you have to do or who do you contact?

I am not sure who to talk to. Will go find out. So it looks like if I move some of the panels to the infinisolar, then wire up the infinisolar to the grid and get it to charge the batteries and send back power to the grid, then have the 2 Axperts run my house off the batteries it should work. That way I use eskom as my batteries. Then use my software to switch to Eskom at night by using a schedule and time to use the power my system made during the day.

Is the infinisolar in line or connected in parallel so just in phase with the eskom power. Would you have to have the flow through the infinisolar to get to the Axperts or not ?

Will that work ?

The way I see it, your load is 8Kw, you will have to split the load 5Kw to Infini and 3Kw to Axpert and fed separately from Eskom, the Infini will feed back into the grid and also to the Axpert.

The outputs cannot be linked as they may not be in phase when on battery mode.

OK just spoke with the dude here at work and he said, off the record they will turn a blind eye and will not do anything if you do hook up your system. as long as it is save and turns off if the grid falls away. He said they feel it helps them carry the load.

I'm willing to bet on this changing in future. Municipal income and the ability to subsidise free and cheap electricity for the poor comes under pressure, and when you spin a meter backwards and essentially get net-metering at a 1:1 ratio... you can bet at some point someone is going to jump on google earth, and pay a visit to anyone with PV panels on the roof and demand an inspection. In Cape Town, the definition is already changed to the extent that even if you don't push back but you are grid-tied (with some kind of limiter), they consider you an embedded generator and you should comply with all the regulations...

• 1 month later...