SolarMD 3.7kw Lithium Ion

Has anyone looked at the SOLAR MD lithium Ion batteries? I have seen a unit in a local solar dealer store, but have not been able to get my hands on any technical literature as yet.

The units are supposedly manufactured in Cape Town. Solar MD, is situated in Montague Gardens. Sent them an email requesting more info.

Would to get comparisons to the other brands available? 

Very clean looking unit, nice cabinet

no-backgoround-500x500.png

IMG_5491b.jpg

Just one correction to the topic: This is a LiFePO4 battery, not a lithium ion battery 🙂

Lithium Ion is what your phone and your laptop has. Usually less than a thousand cycles before end of life (depending on how hard you work it). LiPo (Lithium Polymer) is what you get in Vape pens and Drones and toys and so on. LiFePO4 is used in some vehicles (it is considered not to have a good enough energy density) but mostly for stationary power applications, aka solar power.

14 minutes ago, plonkster said:

Just one correction to the topic: This is a LiFePO4 battery, not a lithium ion battery 🙂

Lithium Ion is what your phone and your laptop has. Usually less than a thousand cycles before end of life (depending on how hard you work it). LiPo (Lithium Polymer) is what you get in Vape pens and Drones and toys and so on. LiFePO4 is used in some vehicles (it is considered not to have a good enough energy density) but mostly for stationary power applications, aka solar power.

Awesome info, thx

On 2019/06/23 at 5:07 PM, Mstott said:

I have had the 7.4kwh running for the last month now and am very happy so far ! 

Hi Mstott,

Can you share more information on your system, and your consumption? I am trying get a feel for the capacity of these units, and which kw size unit will best suit my needs?

Thanks.

Sure my system is victron , multiplus ll,  venus GX , MPPT 150-60 , 7.4kwh Solar MD and logger V2 , Art solar 350w panels not quite north facing and tilt is not great for winter . I get sun from 9am until 3pm , so far I am getting around 11-12kwh per day . I have been using around 4kwh from my battery per day , I guess it all depends on how you use the battery as well as the load you are planning to run . My grid consumption was 30kwh per day and now 15kwh at the very most , I did also fit a ev tube geyser 

On 2019/06/30 at 4:55 PM, Mstott said:

Sure my system is victron , multiplus ll,  venus GX , MPPT 150-60 , 7.4kwh Solar MD and logger V2 , Art solar 350w panels not quite north facing and tilt is not great for winter . I get sun from 9am until 3pm , so far I am getting around 11-12kwh per day . I have been using around 4kwh from my battery per day , I guess it all depends on how you use the battery as well as the load you are planning to run . My grid consumption was 30kwh per day and now 15kwh at the very most , I did also fit a ev tube geyser 

Cool thx. Your usage looks pretty similar to mine, in summer.... lol.

I'm trying to get my head around the capacity of battery storage i would need. I have got info from SOLAR MD, that the 3,7kw unit is equivalent to 72 Ahour @52v. Practically, I think this will not be enough for my requirements, and I should therefore be installing the larger 7,4kw unit.

Doing a very basic cost comparison between gel acid and lithium, looks as follows.....

200 amp hour gel acid  x4 (12vdcx4=48vdc) @R4600 =R18400. Factor in the DOD @50% gives you 100 amp hour for around R20 000? Some shopping around may yield some discounts.

Cables, cable accessories, fuses, frame structure etc etc etc. I would add at least a few thousand rand more?

3,7kw(76 Ahour) SOLAR MD, I can purchase for about R30k, and get at the very least twice the life span. The warrantee alone, is almost twice the expected life of the gels?