Thank you for the great forum, Safe Driving over the weekend. Sincerely Jason
Sign in to follow this  
LionKing

Infini 10KW + Narada MPG (AGM) battery settings

I have 4X Narada MPG (AGM) 12V 200AH batteries wired up to Infini 10KW for a year now. In my setup, the battery bank reaches 99% capacity (as per inverter display) and stays there, while being continously charged at 2.1A.

I thought that was the needed float charge, however, I came across a setting in inverter which allows me to stop the charger if Amps are below certain value for X amount of time. Now I'm confused whether the 2.1A flow charge is needed or not? am I damaging batteries in the long run with continous 2.1A charge?

Does anyone know how to do Equalization charge using infini?

My current settings:

image.png.2a71f09b0880916b9138777e4936ed88.png

Edited by LionKing

17 hours ago, LionKing said:

I have 4X Narada MPG (AGM) 12V 200AH batteries wired up to Infini 10KW for a year now. In my setup, the battery bank reaches 99% capacity (as per inverter display) and stays there, while being continously charged at 2.1A.

Unless your battery is hot all the time, it seems to me that you are under charging your battery. The datasheet says 2.35-2.45 VPC @ (that's 56.4 to 58.8 V). That's under "Charging procedures" near the end; earlier it talks about 2.35-2.40 VPC.

It will take a very long time  to charge the battery at 56 V, some 48 hours to go from 50% to 100% SOC. So that's probably why the current is so low and never seems to decrease.

I thought that was the needed float charge, however, I came across a setting in inverter which allows me to stop the charger if Amps are below certain value for X amount of time. Now I'm confused whether the 2.1A flow charge is needed or not? am I damaging batteries in the long run with continous 2.1A charge?

Only if the battery voltage goes too high.

Does anyone know how to do Equalization charge using infini?

I don't believe that you want to equalise these. The datasheet talks about "equalise and cycle service", which seems to indicate to me that if you want to equalise, just leave it at the absorb setting (2.35 - 2.45 VPC, though perhaps it's saying you should limit it to 2.35 - 2.40 VPC for equalisation), and leave it there for longer than normal.

Besides that, I have the feeling that Infinis don't have equalisation abilities.

On 2019/07/06 at 5:37 AM, Coulomb said:

Unless your battery is hot all the time, it seems to me that you are under charging your battery. The datasheet says 2.35-2.45 VPC @ (that's 56.4 to 58.8 V). That's under "Charging procedures" near the end; earlier it talks about 2.35-2.40 VPC.

It will take a very long time  to charge the battery at 56 V, some 48 hours to go from 50% to 100% SOC. So that's probably why the current is so low and never seems to decrease.

Only if the battery voltage goes too high.

I don't believe that you want to equalise these. The datasheet talks about "equalise and cycle service", which seems to indicate to me that if you want to equalise, just leave it at the absorb setting (2.35 - 2.45 VPC, though perhaps it's saying you should limit it to 2.35 - 2.40 VPC for equalisation), and leave it there for longer than normal.

image.thumb.png.d9c61502e4d04c72c80c2ca42f94a11c.png

image.thumb.png.539e2dc0407ff9c1e38ba448991201cd.png

Trying to figure out Cutoff discharge voltage but confused by this table. What does the first table really mean? In the manual it says 10hr End-Voltage is 1.80V/cell and that the battery is not able to discharge more capacity even if end voltage is lower and that doing so will damage the battery. However, in the tables it shows end voltage as low as 1.30. 

Should i set the cut-off voltage to 1.80V/cell - to be on safe side? Since we are almost always < 0.2C (Amps) and I don't ever see us going over 0.5C discharge current.

Regarding Charging. The datasheet has following table:

image.png.5f64ddf6ca08b03bfb545a244a582de9.png

I think the figures above are Charging voltages and in manual under "Temperature and Floating Voltages" I found following info:

image.thumb.png.e561930517a4d63929327dbe60fb1f15.png

I'm using Infini in Grid-Tie with Backup mode and with frequent outages - about 4 times a week, I'm guessing my "application" is Cyclic usage? so I should go with 2.35 Vpc (Charging Current) I get 56.4 charging voltage and 30C ambient temp the floating voltage should be 2.24 Vpc, so 53.76 floating voltage. Current inverter charger settings seem correct then?

What are cut-off discharging and re-discharging voltages?

12 hours ago, LionKing said:

Trying to figure out Cutoff discharge voltage but confused by this table. What does the first table really mean? In the manual it says 10hr End-Voltage is 1.80V/cell and that the battery is not able to discharge more capacity even if end voltage is lower and that doing so will damage the battery. However, in the tables it shows end voltage as low as 1.30. 

Those are extremes of discharge; you don't want to go anywhere near those anyway for longevity.

Should i set the cut-off voltage to 1.80V/cell - to be on safe side? Since we are almost always < 0.2C (Amps) and I don't ever see us going over 0.5C discharge current.

Yes, that makes sense, though you should aim to rarely if ever go that low. So 1.80 x 24 = 43.2 V.

I'm using Infini in Grid-Tie with Backup mode and with frequent outages - about 4 times a week, I'm guessing my "application" is Cyclic usage?

"Cyclic" seems to be code for "everyday charging", (and "standby" means float), so this is the "Bulk charging voltage" or CV voltage.

so I should go with 2.35 Vpc (Charging Current) I get 56.4 charging voltage

They seem to be suggesting 2.40 VPC as the "set point" (and your charger should achieve between 2.35 and 2.45 VPC), so that would be 57.6 V. If your typical ambient temperature is 30°C, then derate by .003 VPC = 2.4 - .003 x 5 VOC = 2.385 VPC or 57.2 V total.

and 30C ambient temp the floating voltage should be 2.24 Vpc, so 53.76 floating voltage. Current inverter charger settings seem correct then?

I'd want a fair bit more on the bulk setting.

What are cut-off discharging and re-discharging voltages?

With Axperts, cut-off is where the battery voltage is so dangerously low that it stops the inverter and it goes into fault mode. Re-discharge refers to where some time ago you have stopped discharging, are using the utility to support loads, and the battery has been charging (PV or utility or a combination). At this voltage, it will stop that and switch back to using the battery to supply the load (with PV helping, if available). Infinis are different; I'm not familiar enough with them to say exactly what happens. I suspect it depends on which of many modes the infini is operating under.

On 2019/07/08 at 7:32 AM, Coulomb said:

Those are extremes of discharge; you don't want to go anywhere near those anyway for longevity.

Yes, that makes sense, though you should aim to rarely if ever go that low. So 1.80 x 24 = 43.2 V.

I went with 1.81V cut-off instead to avoid getting close to damaging end-voltage, so 43.4.

On 2019/07/08 at 7:32 AM, Coulomb said:

"Cyclic" seems to be code for "everyday charging", (and "standby" means float), so this is the "Bulk charging voltage" or CV voltage.

They seem to be suggesting 2.40 VPC as the "set point" (and your charger should achieve between 2.35 and 2.45 VPC), so that would be 57.6 V. If your typical ambient temperature is 30°C, then derate by .003 VPC = 2.4 - .003 x 5 VOC = 2.385 VPC or 57.2 V total.

I'd want a fair bit more on the bulk setting.

Also, left Floating voltage at 54 and changed CV from 56 -> 57.2

On 2019/07/08 at 12:32 PM, Coulomb said:

"Cyclic" seems to be code for "everyday charging"

I'm now getting the feeling from other sources that "cyclic" may mean "occasional", as in weak equalisation for sealed lead acid, or actual equalisation for flooded lead acid.

Edit: but the below makes it fairly clear that by "cyclic voltage" they probably mean "absorb voltage".

Edited by Coulomb

16 hours ago, Coulomb said:

I'm now getting the feeling from other sources that "cyclic" may mean "occasional", as in weak equalisation for sealed lead acid, or actual equalisation for flooded lead acid.

https://www.sealedperformance.com.au/faq/what-is-the-difference-between-cycle-use-and-standby-use/

I think cyclic is the appropriate one for Solar usage. The only thing I'm contemplating at this point is whether to disconnect float voltage after say 24, 48 hours? Because at current rate 54V x 2.8A, I'm using up over 100KWH monthly in maintaining float charge.

Edited by LionKing