Benefits of cleaning solar panels

5 minutes ago, Solaris said:

Imagine a system that had water trickling down over your panels, keeping them cool all the time....

The water would cause refraction, reduce optimum geenration.

But you are onto something!
I saw panels a few years ago where they had a "tank" placed over the entire back of the panel that cooled the panel with circulating water. This hot water was then circulated and sent to pre-heating geyser system. Cool the panels down and pre-heat some water. Could not find them in SA.

Then there is this today: 

There's an Italian-designed heat pump that has a small "panel" heat-exchanger that you mount below the PV modules. Because you mount it in a place where it is (normally) warmer, it gains a bit of performance, and in that way you cool your panels as you heat the water (which you'd do anyway).

10 hours ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

That dropping on that panel makes me wonder: Can one eat Hadida meat? 🤔

I'm sure you can, but I don't think you should 🙂

Hadeda Ibis. The only bird with Acrophobia. On the ground they are quiet, but the moment they take off, it's Hiiigh.... hiiigh... HIGHdeda!

On 2019/08/07 at 3:39 PM, Solaris said:

Imagine a system that had water trickling down over your panels, keeping them cool all the time....The water could be caught in a bucket at the end of your guttering and pumped up to the top again. You could double your solar production!! 😁

You can see in the graph in the first post that production drops off while the panels are being washed.

• 3 weeks later...

Solar Panel Cleaning is Required for Optimum Performance

Solar panel cleaning is not that different from cleaning your windshield. You can do it yourself, or have other people do it for you. A solar panel typically consists of solar cells covered by a protective glass coating, and just like your car windshield – the longer it's outside – the more likely it will get dirty and need to be cleaned.

How much Electricity do Dirty Solar Panels Lose?

Pollution, traffic dust, leaves and even bird droppings contribute to preventing sunlight from reaching the solar cells in your solar panels.

The more dirt – the lower amount of electricity they will produce. While many factors affect how much electricity your solar panels will produce – dirty solar panels can be one of the biggest, and easiest to fix.

Experts agree that dirty solar panels don't produce as much power as clean panels. That loss may range as high as 25% in some areas according to the National Renewable Energy laboratory. Individual dealers have reported losses as high as 30% for some customers who failed to ever clean their panels.

On 2019/09/06 at 5:53 PM, plonkster said:

You are not by any chance a fan of the Brooklyn-99 TV series? 🙂

smort

some nice rain on thursday night here, panels were pretty dusty!, the highest peak i saw before this was 1.9kw on my 2.4kw array, today i saw 2.11 :D

On 2019/08/14 at 12:36 PM, The Terrible Triplett said:

That dropping on that panel makes me wonder: Can one eat Hadida meat? 🤔

ask yourself this... where do hadidas go when they die? have you ever seen a dead hadida? bet you have seen a dead pidgeon/dove though.