Solar geyser to feed dishwasher

Gerrie

I have a off-grid 4KW inverter and have noticed the dishwasher uses about 2KW for long periods when in operation. 

I am thinking to connect my solar geyser water straight to the dishwasher to reduce my dishwasher elements from switching on.

My inverter sometimes switch over to utility when the washing machine and dishwasher both run at the same time. 

(It happens only when dishwasher is used)

Would the hot water from the solar geyser make a substantial difference?

Be careful here. 

Some dishwashers don't like hot water direct to washing cycle... or it needs to be below a certain temp.  

Check the manual.  Unlike a washing machine that has 2 (H and C) inputs the dishwasher only has a cold... mine anyway.

Edited by Mark

Hi @Gerrie

yes, it will make a difference.

I have my dishwasher connected to the hot water source from the day one and most of the time it draws just 80W during the cycle. So it's motor, pump and electronics only.

But from time to time, it decides that the water is not hot enough and it starts the heating element too. Then, it draws roughly 2kW. I suppose that it has something to do with the fact that there's a lot of cold water stuck in the pipes sometimes. Shorter the hot-water pipes, less frequently will this occur.

Just as @Mark said - check whether your dishwasher can be fed with the hot water. My appliance allows it and has a note on this in the user's guide.

image.png.64be27d99b78429c43b82dc4657510d0.png

image.png.c06b378a76fb9beda53f09e33865d3da.png

Edited by Youda

33 minutes ago, Mark said:

Be careful here. 

Some dishwashers don't like hot water direct to washing cycle... or it needs to be below a certain temp.  

Check the manual.  Unlike a washing machine that has 2 (H and C) inputs the dishwasher only has a cold... mine anyway.

I just had a look and my Samsung only has a cold water inlet, I googled and Samsung say you can only connect cold water as its elements has to heat the water.

So I guess the pipes and fittings might fail if I give it some hot water 😕

Still, you can install a thermostatic valve that will mix hot+cold at the inlet and will supply the diswasher with a 40°C water for example. But, the appliance will use the heating element anyway, to raise the temperature to 50-70°C. So, the problem with the dishwasher and laundry running at the same time won't be mitigated.

Or, you can buy a new dishwasher. I see that from 400 models that are being available in the local shop, 65 is able to accept warm water:

image.png.f216d03341330e8c59001251360e4b60.png

15 hours ago, Youda said:

Shorter the hot-water pipes, less frequently will this occur.

That is my issue with our old Bosch dishwasher. It uses like 5l per wash, sometimes the entire wash ... it does, I tested it once with s Steri Nappi 5l holder, it did not even fill it when I caught the water that the machine pumped out.

So by the time the hot water arrives, 5l of cold water from the hot water pipe is in the machine. 

Edited by Guest

15 hours ago, Youda said:

you can install a thermostatic valve

That is exactly what I was about to suggest. Hand it luke-warm water. Saves some of the energy, but still allows the machine some control over its temperature-workings so it doesn't freak out.

Even when heating from cold, I discovered that my dishwasher uses about 1kWh to do a load. I can live with that 🙂

I just set a timeswitch for it to start mid morning... we aren't there anyway to use the PV...

An aside: Just bought a 800w/800ml camping kettle for the kitchen.  You will not believe how few times I have used the 2200w 1.8l kettle since then... 2 cups tea - done and dusted!

A thought for people with grid tied solutions.

1 hour ago, Mark said:

... 800w/800ml camping kettle ...

Thought about getting one too.
Then I thought, ok, how much will I save on the Eskom re.  the peaks, as grid tied peaks or not my concern.

In the end I did not buy the kettle for a 3kw kettle with 400ml of water to boil .. cents it will cost.