Axpert Inverter switching to battery power at midday.

14 hours ago, birdibird said:

I've got the MPPSolar 5048MG (@71.40) so I guess can flash this Axpert MKS II 71.71 firmware, correct?

I replied to this on the AEVA forums, but I'll copy it here for PowerForum readers.

That's a great question. The 71.XX factory firmware seem to be a bit muddled. For example, 71.70 and 71.80 are for Axpert King / PIP5048MK models, yet version 71.71 seems to be for the Axpert MKS II with 64 V.

So despite the considerable gap from 71.40 to 71.71, it looks like it should work. I presume your model, being a PIP, has the 64 V option? (In other words, can setting 26 go past 58.4 V?)

I would really appreciate (and with me some others I know with a 5048MG) if you could patch this firmware (for LFP)!  8-)

As it happens, Weber and I are not particularly interested in the models with 450 V max SCCs. However, we are in communication with a German forum user who may be able to take on the patching of these models, starting with version 71.71. So there is hope!

Hi guys,

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong spot, I was looking for some place where this would be most suitable.

Just some questions out of curiosity and maybe someone can relate or have similar issues, questions, answers or data relating to this.

1. What is the difference in setting program 16?
I have my inverters setup to SLb, meaning that solar energy provide power to the load first (UCb - allow the utility to charge batteries). So far we had sunny days and there were never any problems going into 16:30 to 17:00 with full batteries. Had efficiency of around 4.5.
Unfortunately we had clouds on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, which had the batteries not fully charged going into late afternoon/night time. Efficiency dropped to between 2.5 - 2.9. (Today was 3.8 and batteries were fully charged and are currently (midnight) at 55% drawing around 800w per hour). I also try to have all of the heavy loads be done at around 14:00 in the afternoons. Only one thing I have 0 control over however remains.

1.1 The inverters switched to grid on different days at different times depending on SOC at around 22%. Problem is, one day it went back to battery at 50% SOC and other days it went back to battery when the PV produced enough to supply the load (it charged well over 4 hours on grid power). Charging of the batteries went a bit slow as well for the said days from PV.

2. Will it help to change over to SbL so that solar energy charges batteries first (and allow utility to charge). I have already changed to this setting tonight and will monitor it for the coming week or two, but I doubt if we will have the same weather conditions as last week.

3. Do point 2 above have a negative effect on battery cycles as my current setting showed a cycle each day which is understandable and acceptable.

4. Is there a downside to have different settings on each inverter, let’s say one inverter is set to supply loads first and the other is set to charge batteries first? ie one is set at SLb and the other at SbL?

5. Is it better to switch to SUB in such days so that the batteries can be charged. We all know that load-shedding is around the corner.

6. What will the difference be in setting program 11 to 20A per inverter rather than 10A per inverter? Changed program 02 from 50A per inverter to 40A per inverter as I saw the batteries showing slightly more than 100A which also do not show on the graphs with the silver line effect.

Work from home so most days I can be here to see how things run, sometimes I am at clients and can’t control certain factors. Did however installed Emoncms on my wife’s phone so that she can at least see the SOC and if the grid is there or not so that she can actually control the one issue I still have in my household that can have a influence on the load used that are supposed to charge the batteries :).

With the clouds we had poor power production but because of the silver line effect I had spikes that show peak power probably for a second or two as high or a bit higher than what is expected to be max on a PV array. Using ICC to monitor, but not to switch anything. Graphs show a slight different story than the snap shots on the gauge tab.

By not being on the grid excessively I have brought down grid usage from +- 32kWh per day to the new lowest of 34kWh for the week. If the batteries did not charge so much it would have been less for the week :). Last night however the batteries including the load sucked up 17kWh from the grid, it went to grid around 1:30 and only got off at around 5:40. 

Using 2 PV arrays of potential 3 780 watts each (12 x 315w)

2 x 5kVa inverters (Synapse 5.0K+ / aka Axpert King)

4 x US3000 Pylontech’s (still trying to resolve the cable directly to the inverters, just need to plug in and test, have not gotten around to it).

Rpi and ICC for monitoring purposes including the battery monitoring cable, no switching, only monitoring.

Since changing the batteries to the Pylontech’s they have only gone to grid once in the first week since 28 October, but three times this weekend with the poor sunshine conditions. 

Edited by Wilfred
Weekend
14 hours ago, birdibird said:

I flashed firmware 71.71 and all went fine. My first impression is that it charges the battery longer than before ...

Well done. 71.71 is supposed to have fixed the dips and freezes which I suppose might result in "My first impression is that it charges the battery longer than before". Please let us know if it has indeed fixed the dips and freezes.

If so, there may be an Axpert King firmware that also fixes the dips and freezes that seem to plague that model at present.

Hi all,

Just wanted to give some feedback, maybe it helps someone else too.  My Axpert are on version 74 20 and wanted to flash it to 74 40 as Chris Louw mentioned he had no issues.  I thought I'd first try out a few settings I've read about the Battery Equalization setting (Setting 33).  Here are the settings I've applied/changed and since the update I'm happy to report that my issues now seems to have resolved as I've noticed a few times the PV's switching off but this time round, the batteries were kept at float voltage and as soon as I draw some more watts or the battery volts start to drop below float, the PV's switch back on again (and not only the next morning, it did so immediately):

Settings 32 through 37 were set as below:

• 32 (Bulk Charge Time) = AUT
  • 33 (Battery Equalization) = EEN
  • 34 (Battery Equalization Voltage) = 57.6
  • 35 (Battery Equalized Time) = 60
  • 36 (Battery Equalized timeout) = 120
  • 37 (Equalization Interval) = 30

I've also changed setting 16 to CSO to charge the batteries with the Utility if Solar is not available.  Setting 11 goes with this one and I've set setting 11 to 10A.  I would prefer to actually NOT charge the batteries using Utility but I did notice that it does not charge using the utility until the system transfer to the Grid, so using the batteries first.

I truly hope this can help someone else as this drove me NUTS.

• 3 months later...
On 2019/10/17 at 8:43 AM, Bloubul7 said:

Hi,

Do you maybe have the latest firmware for the Axpert King?  I'm currently on 71.50

71.86 is the newest for the King, Better to use an OTG to USB with an 8gig stick. press the esc key for more than 3 second and select UPG. Format stick to FAT32 and copy only the dsp.hex file to it. Hope this help you

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cEzkd6FyzpswGlGbznjiXULq5TFfSXM2

It seems that the MCU/display firmware should be updated to 2.00 when the main firmware is updated to 71.86. Especially if you care about Pylontech BMS support, but possibly regardless.

Edit: the latest King firmware seems to be 71.90, but 71.86 is the latest that we have an update for.

Edited by Coulomb
On 2020/03/17 at 6:33 PM, Christo said:

71.86 is the newest for the King, Better to use an OTG to USB with an 8gig stick. press the esc key for more than 3 second and select UPG. Format stick to FAT32 and copy only the dsp.hex file to it. Hope this help you

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cEzkd6FyzpswGlGbznjiXULq5TFfSXM2

Thanks,

I got the firmware update from the Aussie site.  Updated and works great, even managed to get the BMS communication working with the Pylontech on a pre 2019 model (mine is a March 2018).

• 4 months later...
On 2019/11/12 at 12:25 AM, Wilfred said:

With the clouds we had poor power production but because of the silver line effect I had spikes that show peak power probably for a second or two as high or a bit higher than what is expected to be max on a PV array. Using ICC to monitor, but not to switch anything. Graphs show a slight different story than the snap shots on the gauge tab.

@Wilfred I run the same setup as you do (2x MKS II with Pylontechs and ICC), but I'm facing an issue that I want to determine if it's just me or if everyone has the problem they just don't realize it.  It would really help if you can answer these two questions for me:
1) When running on solar/battery, do you ever see your inverter output voltage dip to below 220V or 210V? When my PV generation is the same as the load, meaning battery watts is 0 my output voltage starts to fluctuate between 200V and 235V.  Video here.
2) What is your PV volts? I run 9x 340W panels in one string per inverter, so my PV voltage is about 370V.  This problem was much less when my PV volts was less that 300V.