Hybrid inverter and prepaid meter

Biocide

Hi

Are there any SANS approve hybrid inverter that doesn't trip a prepaid meter? 

My installer says goodwe 4.6kw will trip my prepaid meter and wants to install a Axpert 5kw MKS now, but looks like there is a issue with the axpert also if I look at the " Is your system legal?" section... 

Where do you live, and what meter do you have?

I live in Johannesburg, and have the iTron meter. I converted to pre-paid some years ago, and that was a nice little saver.

Now I have a hybrid system in place, the iTron CIU beeps a lot so I have hidden it away from polite company. The beeps seem to be triggered by energy exports from my Goodwe. The CIU beeps, goes blank, reboots. Many times a day.

Here's an interesting thing. My Goodwe does not pump a lot back into the grid. Essentially it tries to zero the delta on the meter (though it never quite does so)

But say I draw 1 kw/h from the grid over a day and send 0.75 kw/h back. The total consumption showing on my meter increases by 0.25 kw/h. But the prepaid balance decreases by the full kw/h that was drawn (IE it is unaffected by the exports).

If I converted back to post paid I would get the full benefit on the meter of the exports, but then I'd also get about R450 a month in flat fees on my electricity bill, which is why I went prepaid in the first place. So leaving things as they are is the smaller knock to take.

I don't believe the prepaid meter (or the CIU) trips because it's connected to a Goodwe inverter. I think it "trips" because of the energy going in a direction other than expected.

I have never lost my connection to the grid because of the goings on with the meter. 

On 2019/09/29 at 7:02 AM, Biocide said:

Are there any SANS approve hybrid inverter that doesn't trip a prepaid meter? 

Regretfully, if your meter is one of those that trips when it detects reverse current flow, all hybrids will trip it. 

Most of the newer smart meters does not trip though. Can you maybe tell us what Make and model meter you have and maybe a picture of one. 

1 minute ago, Jaco de Jongh said:

Regretfully, if your meter is one of those that trips when it detects reverse current flow, all hybrids will trip it. 

Most of the newer smart meters does not trip though. Can you maybe tell us what Make and model meter you have and maybe a picture of one. 

I have a Talexus Actarus. 

The installer gave the meter one look and said he recommends a axpert, so don't know if I must maybe settle for a infinisolar e 5.5kw ? 

IMG-20190930-WA0001.jpg

1 hour ago, Biocide said:

I cant find much on this Meter, but saw that its localy build, maybe contact them to confirm.

1 hour ago, Biocide said:

he recommends a axpert, so don't know if I must maybe settle for a infinisolar

The infini is also a hybrid and from personal experience, they do trip certain prepaid meters. 

@Biocide

Hmm, interesting one.  This meter is a very odd specimen.

Telaxus appears related to a payment system and also used by Itron who supplies the city of Cape Town with prepaid meters:

http://content.energycentral.com/utilitybusiness/billingandcustomercare/news/vpr/4102/ITRON-ANNOUNCES-PREPAID-METERING-CONTRACT-Actaris-to-Deploy-Large-Scale-Electricity-and-Gas-Prepayment-Solutions-in-Azerbaijan?

Other sources suggest your Telexus appears to be supplied by Eskom in Cape Town rather than the City, but it could also be a separate contracted supplier via an estate, gated community, property owner or whatever:

https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/program-codes-for-prepaid-electricity-meter.499040/

http://www.metermate.co.za/downloads/Private_Utility_Brochure_v1.pdf

It would be interesting to know what your specific situation is.

Given what I am seeing your first step would probably to see if you can get that meter replaced by whoever actually services your property with regards to power supply.

With prepaid meters in general, some will trip when the inverter feeds back to the grid.  This will happen with a grid tied inverter or a hybrid inverter.

Some meters can be configured with a 'token' not to trip when feedback occurs.  Getting one of these tokens is difficult.

Other prepaid meters won't trip, but will charge for the same you put into the grid as you pay to pull out of the grid.

21 hours ago, Biocide said:

My advice... blur out the serial number on the picture. I'm not some paranoid they-are-out-to-get-us type person, buuuut.... it can be used to track your location by anyone who has access to the meter database.

13 minutes ago, plonkster said:

serial number

Some other interesting things you can learn from the serial number. The first two digits is the manufacturer. I only know 04 is conlog. I don't know who 01 is, but presumably this is not a newcomer to the arena 🙂

The next two digits is the year of manufacture. It's the number of years since 1990, which means your meter is from the future (2021). The next 6 digits is the actual serial number from the manufacturer, and the last digit (as usual) is a CRC check thing.

Just now, Biocide said:

Meter is more than 10 years old so don't know about 2021

Yeah, that part makes no sense to me. The meter clearly indicates that it supports the STS specification (the little S logo on it), so one would expect the serial number to follow the rules. But clearly it does not 🙂

My meter shows 04 12, conlog, made in 2002. Which makes sense since the house was built around 2004.