Victron ESS Assistant gives low battery voltage error

Mr T.

Good day all

I am trying to set my two EasySolar systems up to use the ESS function. However after installing the ESS assistants using VeConfigure, the inverters start flashing the low battery voltage led and then disconnect. My battery bank is sitting on 52v (Pylontech US3000) so there is no actual low voltage  present.

My parameters for the ESS Assistant are as follows:

Country/Grid Code Standard : Other  not compliant to any grid code standard (there is no option for South Africa  in the live setup as given in the Fake Target With Full Options setup)

LOM Detection: Type B

Transfer Switch: Unchecked

Inverter Tab: Left on default

Charger Tab: Enable Charge selected; Absorption Voltage: 52.2V, Float Voltage: 52.00V, Charge Current: 50A Absorption time: 2 hrs

Battery system: System uses LiFePo4 with other type BMS

Battery capacity: 444 Ah (I have 12 x US3000 Pylontech batteries)

Sustain Voltage: 48V

Dynamic cut-off: 46V for 2c as per Victron/Pylontech reccommendations

Restart offset: left on default (1.20V above cut-off)

Pv Inverters: No

Can anyone assist with the solution to this problem?

Thank you and regards,

1 hour ago, Mr T. said:

Charger Tab: Enable Charge selected; Absorption Voltage: 52.2V, Float Voltage: 52.00V, Charge Current: 50A Absorption time: 2 hrs

I will set this to 53.2 and 53

1 hour ago, Mr T. said:

Battery capacity: 444 Ah (I have 12 x US3000 Pylontech batteries)

That should be 12 X 75ah

Just for interest sake. How did you connect these 12 Pylons. Do you have a hub?

1 hour ago, Mr T. said:

Good day all

I am trying to set my two EasySolar systems up to use the ESS function. However after installing the ESS assistants using VeConfigure, the inverters start flashing the low battery voltage led and then disconnect.

Maybe you are doing this correct. But I have to ask. Are you tryinging to load these inverters separately , or are you following the parralel setup guide?

5 minutes ago, Jaco de Jongh said:

I will set this to 53.2 and 53

That should be 12 X 75ah

Just for interest sake. How did you connect these 12 Pylons. Do you have a hub?

Maybe you are doing this correct. But I have to ask. Are you tryinging to load these inverters separately , or are you following the parralel setup guide?

Hi Jaco.

The Pylontech documentation recommends 37 ah although maximum is 75 ah as you pointed out so this gives 444 ah.

Yes I have a low voltage hub connecting the 12 pylons via CANbus cabling.

I was thinking of connecting the inverters in parallel but decided to leave them as separate systems. The inverters supply two different loads but are connected to the same battery bank.

I have connected the two MPTT controllers to the same CCGX so that the BMS of the Pylons can control both of them. I have connected a Victron BMV 712 battery monitor via a shunt to the unconnected CCGX as a extra seperate battery monitor.

14 hours ago, Mr T. said:

the inverters start flashing the low battery voltage led

This is what is called a pre-alarm and there are cases when it is a false alarm and you should ignore it.It starts when you're 1.2V above the minimum voltage, but because LFP batteries have such a flat discharge curve it tends to activate a bit earlier. In other words, this LED flashing is not necessarily a big problem. Itis a bit irritating, that is for sure, but it is normal. Mine flashes every morning when the battery reaches around 45% SoC.

14 hours ago, Mr T. said:

then disconnect

You will have to explain a bit more clearly what you mean by that. Your title suggests that you're using ESS. Then the inverter never really "disconnects" (or shouldn't), but it might stop discharging the batteries. I suspect you have your ESS "dynamic cutoff" curve configured too high. Remember tha Pylontech batteries are 15-series. You should have your cut-off curve around the 42V to 45V range. The defaults are way too high (they are for 16s configurations).

Thank you so much for all the valuable input. I will set the dynamic cutoff to 42V as suggested by you plonkster. There are 4 values for this. Do I just set the 2 C to 42V and leave the other settings as is ? What a great and valuable forum this is and I thank people like Jaco de Jongh and plonkster for their tireless advice. It is much appreciated.

Hi 

I have same problem run 3 multi in 3ph.

But my system trips with low battery alarm and setup it set as an alarm only If I delete ess the system works fine but when loading ess the alarm starts and only on one inverter. When measuring batt voltage its still at 52V.