EasySolar 48/3000 - How do I stop powering Non-Essential Loads in ESS with BatteryLife?

Hi All, I am new to the forum and it has been extremely helpful!

I am looking for some help please.

I have just installed an EasySolar 48/3000 - I have an ESS with Energy Meter ET112.

My supply from Grid is separated into Non-Essential (Stove, Geysers etc) and Essential Loads. My Non-Essential loads DO NOT run through the EasySolar AC-out2, they have a dedicated Switch Board.

Essential Loads run through the EasySolar AC-Out1A and 1B

The issue I have:

When the EasySolar is configured in ESS as Optimized with BatteryLife, and a Non-Essential load (Geyser) is switched on, the Non-Essential load starts draining my batteries at an alarming rate. I have noticed that the AC-IN of the EasySolar actually becomes an AC-OUT and powers Non-Essential loads to the max rating of the Inverter.

Is there a way to tell the EasySolar NOT to power the Non-Essential loads at all?

I would like the Non-Essential loads to be powered from the Grid Only to be able to preserve Battey power for the Essential Loads, in the evening, or when there is no PV power.

Thanks for the help.

4 minutes ago, PaBz0r said:

I assume this has been installed on the Non-Essential DB, thus ESS is trying to zero the usage of said loads that it knows about from the ET112. 

Yes, basically:

Grid ---> ET112 -----> Split Non Essential Loads and Easy Solar AC In (separate from Non-Essential Loads)

If you do a search on the forum @plonksterand TTT have discussed scheduled charging options that can be used to not drain batteries at certain times, I have personally not used it, but it can perhaps help to a degree. The idea of ESS as Optimized with BatteryLife and the ET112 is to zero loads, it is exactly what it is doing now and it will see the loads not directly connected to the EasySolar as you have described.

I am not sure if you can perhaps turn off the Energy Meter option in ESS and still be able to get the nice reports by some other means.

53 minutes ago, PaBz0r said:

If you do a search on the forum @plonksterand TTT have discussed scheduled charging options that can be used to not drain batteries at certain times, I have personally not used it, but it can perhaps help to a degree. The idea of ESS as Optimized with BatteryLife and the ET112 is to zero loads, it is exactly what it is doing now and it will see the loads not directly connected to the EasySolar as you have described.

I am not sure if you can perhaps turn off the Energy Meter option in ESS and still be able to get the nice reports by some other means.

Hi, thanks.

I am not really sure how the scheduled charging will solve the system from pushing current into the Non-Essentials?  It is also counter intuitive to save/reduce electricity usage?

I will check with @plonkster - thanks.

52 minutes ago, Psynapt1k said:

scheduled charging

One of the rules of scheduled charging is that no discharge is allowed until the slot ends. If you're charging in the wee hours of the morning, and you reach the 80% Soc limit that you set by 5AM... you want to avoid discharging the battery any more than you have to until breakfast time when you need the power.

You can abuse this little feature to prevent discharge at certain times of the day. If you set a charging slot with a really low SOC (that is already reached), the system will neither charge or discharge. Consumption in this mode is a little higher than usual though, but there isn't much that can be done about that.

On 2019/09/30 at 6:31 PM, plonkster said:

One of the rules of scheduled charging is that no discharge is allowed until the slot ends. If you're charging in the wee hours of the morning, and you reach the 80% Soc limit that you set by 5AM... you want to avoid discharging the battery any more than you have to until breakfast time when you need the power.

You can abuse this little feature to prevent discharge at certain times of the day. If you set a charging slot with a really low SOC (that is already reached), the system will neither charge or discharge. Consumption in this mode is a little higher than usual though, but there isn't much that can be done about that.

Hi @plonkster

Based on my original post above, is there any way you can help me with my main question?

Unfortunately my question was not about the scheduled charging :(

The issue I have:

When the EasySolar is configured in ESS as Optimized with BatteryLife, and a Non-Essential load (Geyser) is switched on, the Non-Essential load starts draining my batteries at an alarming rate. I have noticed that the AC-IN of the EasySolar actually becomes an AC-OUT and powers Non-Essential loads to the max rating of the Inverter.

Is there a way to tell the EasySolar NOT to power the Non-Essential loads at all?

I would like the Non-Essential loads to be powered from the Grid Only to be able to preserve Battery power for the Essential Loads, in the evening, or when there is no PV power.

Thanks very much for the help.

4 minutes ago, Psynapt1k said:

Yes. Connect any loads you don't want the Victron system to know about on the other side of the Carlo Gavazzi meter. Then it won't try to compensate for them.

But of course what you want is for the geyser to be compensated for during day time, but not during night time. And sadly there is no way at the moment to do that. All you can do is set a "Maximum inverter power" value.

Search the forum for how to add a cron job. There are ways to set that value automatically on a time schedule.

7 minutes ago, plonkster said:

Yes. Connect any loads you don't want the Victron system to know about on the other side of the Carlo Gavazzi meter. Then it won't try to compensate for them.

But of course what you want is for the geyser to be compensated for during day time, but not during night time. And sadly there is no way at the moment to do that. All you can do is set a "Maximum inverter power" value.

Search the forum for how to add a cron job. There are ways to set that value automatically on a time schedule.

Awesome.

If I have the Energy meter on the "other" side of the Non-Essentials do I then leave the "Grid Setpoint" at 50W?

Also I assume the EasySolar will still pick up when there is a Grid failure because it will not sense anything on the Input side of the unit?

Our Geysers are Solar too, so we only heat them a little, in the mornings in Winter.

I have changed the Maximum Inverter output and will experiment for now.

Thanks for the help.

14 hours ago, Psynapt1k said:

If I have the Energy meter on the "other" side of the Non-Essentials do I then leave the "Grid Setpoint" at 50W?

Just for completeness. If you don't want to power any of the loads on the input side, simply remove the meter completely, and on the ESS menu turn off the "Grid meter" option. The Multi will then power only the essential loads, no power will be fed back to the loads on the input side.

If you want to power some of the loads on the input side, then simply move those loads you don't want to power to the other side of the meter. The ESS system aims to zero the point where the meter is installed.

You could probably lower the grid setpoint a bit, but in my experience the inverter needs a little bit to work, so a setpoint of between 30W and 40W is optimal, that makes it pull the overhead required to run the inverter itself from the grid instead of the batteries.